Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New tire wobbling on good rim

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-20-23, 11:45 AM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I bought some new tires, Continental Terra Speed 35mm. They are replacing G-One All-around 38mm on 28mm rims.

I mounted the tires and went for a ride. The front wheel was wobbling side to side like crazy. I flipped the bike over and spun it and the wheel seemed badly out of true.

Took the tire off and spun just the rim and it was fine. Put the tire back on, wobbling again. Put the old G-One back on, no wobble.

Is this a defective tire? Or do I somehow keep repeatedly mounting it in the same bad way? Seems unlikely especially since no problems with the rear or the old tire.

Tubes are 700x30-43 btw
Old 01-20-23, 11:57 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
could be a bad tire ?

or ...

tire (bead) not seated correctly ?

issue with rim strip or rim tape ... bead contacting the strip or tape ?
Old 01-20-23, 11:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Did you check the bead seat? (The reference line the just shows above the rim.) A tight tire can have a portion of the bead slipping down into the center channel, causing usually both an overall low and a wobble of the tire center to that side.)

I always pick up wheels with fresh tire mounts, hold by the axle and spin, looking at that line for wobbles on both sides Sometimes I have to work the tire or deflate, adjust and try again to remove the wobble. Then there are also bad tires. Best returned.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-20-23, 12:23 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the reference line was not consistent distance from the rim. How do I fix this if mounting the tire twice ended up with the same problem, but only with this tire? It seemed lined up correctly but as I inflated the tube (both times) it ended up askew.
Old 01-20-23, 12:32 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
I think the reference line was not consistent distance from the rim. How do I fix this if mounting the tire twice ended up with the same problem, but only with this tire? It seemed lined up correctly but as I inflated the tube (both times) it ended up askew.
Try inflating to 10 psi and massage the tire until the witness lines are straight. Then add 10 more psi and massage again. After 10 more psi you should stop and check, but you'll probably be ok.

Sometimes a tire will never seat right.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-20-23, 12:37 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
I have had this happen to me once or twice. Maybe not as bad as yours ( no video).

As above have said, make sure the tire is " seated"

I have had to use Windex to help a tire " seat" properly. And in most cases I pump the tire over 20 lbs maximum !!!

That usually does the trick. Sometimes I have to ride the bike for a few minutes.

If all else fails, return the tire and get a NEW one
Old 01-20-23, 01:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Is this a defective tire?
You could upload a 10-second video to Imgur and post it here.
Old 01-20-23, 02:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If you aren't getting the witness line even all around then that might be your issue. You can also put soapy water on the rim and tire before you install it and that will help you seat it.

If this is a tubed tire with a crochet bead, then I wouldn't have an issue inflating it to 125% percent of the max pressure rating and seeing if you get the pops that tell you the tire has seated. I have gone to as much as 150%. But at that pressure I have blown some tires off the rims. And if your hand is holding the rim where it comes off, then you'll be saying a few cuss words. Might should wear safety glasses too! Or better yet, just don't do it if anything like this is nothing you've ever experienced and is new to you.

This might be a "hold my beer" type situation. But it's worked plenty of times for me in the past. Though in the last 10 years I've seldom needed to resort to that.

Also, take a real good look and be certain it's not that they didn't just put the tread layer on crooked. Which may not even affect your riding.
Old 01-20-23, 10:01 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Tomorrow I'll try soapy water, incrementally inflating/adjusting, and potentially overinflating.

I should have mentioned that I never got the "pop" when inflating to 50psi (max is 75 iirc), which I thought was weird since I did get the predictable "pop" when I put my years-old and stretched out G-One back on at 40psi.
Old 01-21-23, 05:41 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I had this happen with a Panaracer GK, but not so much wobble. When eyeballing the spin, I could see there was a bit of non-conforming where the sidewall seam can be seen. I tried the tire with different psi, remounting, different wheels, always the same result. It is a fault with the tire. I can still use the tire as it feels like a small bump, but really not noticeable when pushing pedals or riding on surfaces that have a bit of roughness. Using it on the front, it seems to lessen the feel of the bump.
Old 01-21-23, 09:46 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
I have had to use Windex to help a tire " seat" properly.
Baby powder works too. Dust the tire (and the tube) before mounting. With enough pressure it should snap into place when you pump it up.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-21-23, 11:10 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Might should wear safety glasses too!
I also suggest ear protection when adding pressure in excess of the recommended maximum (although manufacturers probably leave a wide safety margin) having been near tyres that went pop quite loudly.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Or better yet, just don't do it if anything like this is nothing you've ever experienced and is new to you.
But how else do you gain experience? We all started somewhere (and some of us should have stayed there, I know).

Last edited by grumpus; 01-21-23 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-21-23, 11:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
But how else you you gain experience? We all started somewhere (and some of us should have stayed there, I know).
I just don't want to assume any liability for any mistakes of the person trying to gain experience. I don't know if the OP has had the same previous experience I had to take the same few precautions I did.

Good catch on the ear protection, one of the times I blew the tire off the rim my ears were ringing for quite a while after! All these tires by the way were 27" x 1¼ tires. The ones that blew off the rim were being put on a smooth bead rim. I'm quite surprised they got almost to 150 PSI. Never have blown a tire off a crochet rim. But I seldom have had to go to those extremes to mount tires.
Old 01-21-23, 01:11 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
….If all else fails, return the tire and get a NEW one
Be careful exchanging. I got a bumpy tire from an on-line retailer. I had it exchanged for the same SKU and the second example was defective also. It is likely they were from the same batch.

I got a refund and bought a different tire.
Old 01-27-23, 01:15 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Belated update: With soapy water and inflating to 85psi, got the guide line evenly spaced all around the rim. There's still some wobble but it's much much better, guess I still need a few spoke tweaks. Thanks everyone!
Likes For curttard: