Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

My plywood platform attachment for Tern GSD

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 09:40 AM
tegnamo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

For how last minute this build initially was, I'm pretty happy with it. I originally just had a 2' x 4' sheet of plywood that I drilled some holes in and threaded ratchet straps through. Took about 15 minutes as I was in a rush. It's nothing fancy but it's pretty sturdy and quick enough to install or remove. It's also sitting on top of an inner tube in a few spots to give some grip and also prevent the paint from getting too marred.

Fast and furious first iteration below. The plywood is held on by it's own two straps that hook to the foot rails. The strap for the boxes is separate.

I'd leave it on but it does get in the way of when I try to lock it up. It's mainly for intermittent use like at the food bank I volunteer with or getting a huge amount of groceries. I did have to make sure I slide the platform backwards enough so my legs don't clip the front edge when pedaling. Not a big deal once I knew where to set it.

Since then I've added some 1" x 1" strips around the perimeter to help keep stuff from sliding off, along with some eye hooks to attach bungies to. And I've also installed t-nuts from underneath, which lets me bolt a plastic bin down with some threaded knobs. Nice for grocery getting but not having to deal with bags. Just pile it all in there. I also added a coat of polyurethane to prevent it from getting too damaged from moisture. But I figure it won't last forever and maybe the tension of the straps will eventually warp it too much?

Food rescue at the local grocery store. Large pallets of berries fit nicely between the wood rails of the plywood.

Last edited by tegnamo; 11-20-22 at 01:50 PM. Reason: fixed photos
Likes For tegnamo:
Old 11-19-22, 03:14 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I can't see the photos.
Old 11-19-22, 03:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Need Pics. Thanks

Old 11-19-22, 11:47 PM
tegnamo

How weird...I copy pasted them into the initial post and they show just fine on my side. I'll fix it tomorrow...
Old 11-20-22, 01:51 PM
tegnamo

I uploaded the photos instead of copy pasting into the thread. Hopefully that worked!
Likes For tegnamo:
Old 11-23-22, 12:39 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Good idea. I am thinking of doing something similar with my Radwagon 3. But not as wide as your setup.
Old 11-27-22, 01:07 PM
tegnamo

Originally Posted by Harhir
Good idea. I am thinking of doing something similar with my Radwagon 3. But not as wide as your setup.
The width is definitely annoying when locking to certain bike racks. And it makes picking up the rear of the bike a chore. I just tend to live with it but I do remove the platform when I know I won't really be needing it.