Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-20-19, 06:02 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Not anymore, so long as you don't exceed the recommended dosage.
That's what I meant.
Old 05-21-19, 06:48 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I run a combination of things to address my allergies.

1. NeilMed Nasal Flush - I do this every morning. Sometimes I do it at night too. My ENT would like me to do it twice daily, but I find that doing that too much results in nose bleeds. I also have a prescription steroid to help reduce inflammation in my sinuses. Interestingly, when used in this fashion, it is not banned. But if I were to inject it, well, that's another story.
2. Zyrtec (non-psuedo) - I take one every night before going to bed.
3. Zyrtec-D - I am supposed to take one every morning. I try not to, so I usually have one in my pocket at all times. I have a prescription for it because I would not otherwise be able to purchase a month's supply due to restrictions on OTC purchases.
4. Flonase - I use this with some frequency to replace using Zyrtec-D.
5. Singulair - I use this mostly in the summer or extremely hot days as it helps with both my asthma and allergies.
6. Afrin - I use this sparingly and largely keep it in my gear bag. It helps open my sinuses for races.
7. Breatheright Strips - I use these for races. I had to purchase special goo to help them stay on when I sweat.

For those of you who are looking at that list and thinking that sounds insane, it's really not that bad. I have some pretty severe allergies that are made worse by a messed up nose. Essentially, I only have one working nostril - I have a massive deviated septum coupled with a collapsed outer nose wall that does not allow for good airflow or drainage, hence the near constant inflammation of my sinuses. The breatheright strips help with that some. My ENT wants me to under go a rhinoplasty to fix my nose. This procedure would consist of cutting the cartilage out of my deviated septum then inserting it into the outer wall of my nose. I would look very different afterward. I have not done this yet because in my reading of the surgery, it's rather intense, and my nose would be packed with gauze for 1-2 weeks.
Old 05-21-19, 10:40 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I found my super power - I can make headwinds double in strength merely by upshifting!

Coach decided my TSB was positive enough to cut the last day of recovery, so today's ride was 2:41 at the high end of endurance pace, IF was .79. I felt pretty damned good on the bike. Wind was 15 mph at the start and 19 at the finish. At one point I was doing 28 mph in still air, at another I was at threshold in the drops on flat ground doing 14 mph. Hey, it builds character!

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-21-19, 11:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Today, TT position again. 4x4min pursuits this time. About as much as I could muster 4 times in a row with 2min and 3min between reps.

Not a lot of overall work, but didn't have a ton of time today at lunch.

But, surprised I could hold the 300 that long in the TT position.

300 is 105% to 108% in road position, or my 20min number. So, for TT position it is probably closer to 120%.

Today, somehow the legs were able and eager to eat the pain. It was there, but somehow manageable. The HR was still definitely indicative of the intensity, so the meter was reading correctly.
Old 05-21-19, 02:04 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I found my super power - I can make headwinds double in strength merely by upshifting!

Coach decided my TSB was positive enough to cut the last day of recovery, so today's ride was 2:41 at the high end of endurance pace, IF was .79. I felt pretty damned good on the bike. Wind was 15 mph at the start and 19 at the finish. At one point I was doing 28 mph in still air, at another I was at threshold in the drops on flat ground doing 14 mph. Hey, it builds character!
Ha I remember a couple times like that. One road race I was pissed I missed the break and no one was chasing. I attacked like 35 times or something until finally I got away when no one wanted to chase in the headwind section. I was doing threshold at 17 mph. One of my typical no mans land cat 3 finishes for like a single upgrade point. More recently I left work in the pouring rain and howling wind. Turned south on 8th street, a slight downhill, and proceeded to ride at threshold doing 7 mph.

---------

Today in the gym I did squats, (235x3)x7. First time I finished all sets at this weight, been struggling to add weight to the bar in a 700 calorie deficit for the past few weeks. After RDL and hack squats I added some Y dumbbell raises and scarecrows (humeral external rotation) cuz I think I have a slight anterior scapular tilt causing shoulder impingement of the bicep tendon during rows. I haven't seen a PT so it's just a guess based on a few hours of searching online. I can't tell just by looking cuz there is too much muscle to really see whats going on - I don't look slouch-shouldered, but I do kinda feel it and it might make sense with all the bike riding and office working these past 5 years.

Also did a quick 50 minute ride with some threshold before work, and plan on a couple hours after work.
Old 05-21-19, 05:17 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I run a combination of things to address my allergies.

1. NeilMed Nasal Flush - I do this every morning. Sometimes I do it at night too. My ENT would like me to do it twice daily, but I find that doing that too much results in nose bleeds. I also have a prescription steroid to help reduce inflammation in my sinuses. Interestingly, when used in this fashion, it is not banned. But if I were to inject it, well, that's another story.
2. Zyrtec (non-psuedo) - I take one every night before going to bed.
3. Zyrtec-D - I am supposed to take one every morning. I try not to, so I usually have one in my pocket at all times. I have a prescription for it because I would not otherwise be able to purchase a month's supply due to restrictions on OTC purchases.
4. Flonase - I use this with some frequency to replace using Zyrtec-D.
5. Singulair - I use this mostly in the summer or extremely hot days as it helps with both my asthma and allergies.
6. Afrin - I use this sparingly and largely keep it in my gear bag. It helps open my sinuses for races.
7. Breatheright Strips - I use these for races. I had to purchase special goo to help them stay on when I sweat.

For those of you who are looking at that list and thinking that sounds insane, it's really not that bad. I have some pretty severe allergies that are made worse by a messed up nose. Essentially, I only have one working nostril - I have a massive deviated septum coupled with a collapsed outer nose wall that does not allow for good airflow or drainage, hence the near constant inflammation of my sinuses. The breatheright strips help with that some. My ENT wants me to under go a rhinoplasty to fix my nose. This procedure would consist of cutting the cartilage out of my deviated septum then inserting it into the outer wall of my nose. I would look very different afterward. I have not done this yet because in my reading of the surgery, it's rather intense, and my nose would be packed with gauze for 1-2 weeks.
There is almost no evidence that nasal dilators improve performance, but I don't doubt they improve breathing comfort for some.

No difference from a fully plugged nose (clipped) and an expanded nose, heck the expanded nose was non-significantly worse (C is plugged, A is nasal dilator).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10949017

"There were no significant differences in VO2max (mean +/- SD; C = 3.12+/-1.1; P = 3.12 + 1.06; A = 3.04+/-0.94)."

That's not bad for meds.
Old 05-21-19, 05:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck

I'm going to have a ride like that tonight.

Wind SpeedW 16 MPH

Barometer29.81 in

Dewpoint45°F (7°C)

Visibility10.00 mi
Sick of this wind, but at least it's stopped raining. Ready for Endless March to be over.
Old 05-21-19, 07:27 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Rest week, haven't taken one in 4 weeks (accidental, didn't predict I'd put in so much TSS on the cruise) so easy riding til the weekend.

Yes, I am looking thicc. Going to have to lay off the cheeseburgers and pina coladas when I get home.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-22-19, 06:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
There is almost no evidence that nasal dilators improve performance, but I don't doubt they improve breathing comfort for some.

No difference from a fully plugged nose (clipped) and an expanded nose, heck the expanded nose was non-significantly worse (C is plugged, A is nasal dilator).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10949017

"There were no significant differences in VO2max (mean +/- SD; C = 3.12+/-1.1; P = 3.12 + 1.06; A = 3.04+/-0.94)."

That's not bad for meds.
That all may be true, but it is definitely nice just to be able to breathe through my nose during hard efforts and not feel congested.
Old 05-22-19, 07:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Track got rained out last night, bummer. But a number of us hung out and got a good ~30 min training session in after it dried a bit.
Old 05-22-19, 09:38 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Last night set out to do 2x20's at threshold. Riding into the wind made the first one too hard. Riding with the wind (partially), made the second one too easy. The numbers averaged out to threshold so I am not complaining, but it also made me think I should have just gone full gas on the first one and used it as a FTP test.

Going to the local MTB race series tonight. The kid got a MTB for his birthday and he says wants to race it. I'm going to ride my CX and hope I don't break anything.
Old 05-22-19, 11:13 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Have fun, MTB rocks (pun intended).

I'd like to try out some XC out here for fun.
Old 05-23-19, 08:18 AM
caloso

Well, I didn’t break anything, just dinged my knee when I washed out in a corner. Oh, and I won!:

Old 05-23-19, 09:14 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

sweet cape.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-23-19, 10:00 AM
caloso

Yeah, it was super fun. Tons of people in lots of categories: kids, teens, lots of women riders which is awesome to see, old fart roadies like me. The course looped around and swooped into a motocross course so there were these big tables and banked corners. And there was a taco truck. I seriously think I need to get a mountain bike now. There's a series leader jersey for each category and the winner each night gets to wear the kingly robe for the podium. So. Much. Fun.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-23-19, 10:07 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Yesterday was 2x20' at threshold. The first went okay; the second was going okay until I convinced myself that I needed a break halfway, backed off and realized I didn't need that break and recommenced. I need to dropkick the bad angel on my shoulder telling me that stuff. Current FTP is 250, time at intensity averaged 248, so it did kinda hurt.

Today was three hours at endurance pace. IF was .71, so it was a solid endurance ride, but my butt was dragging. Glad tomorrow is a recovery day.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 05-23-19, 11:36 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Fun evening on the bike planned. Leaving work at 4:30 to head to Fiesta Island so I can test out this TT bike I'm borrowing from 5-6. Then heading home to swap bikes, then to the track for a madison workout session starting at 7, should be good for another hour with some higher intensity.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-23-19, 07:16 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Weather had been udder ****e here. They actually close parts of the freeway this morning up north because of 65mph crosswinds...

So I've been relegated to the trainer. Tuesday was 3x12 hard starts and settle to sweet spot. Wednesday 3x5 at 110% then 1x12 at 95% in an hour. Neither of these workouts felt hard at any point and he reflected that. Bumping my ftp up for next set.

Today recovery, 45 minutes. Tomorrow touring a potential university for my masters and then openers and carb loading for a crit on Satursay
Old 05-23-19, 09:34 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
sweet cape.
The cape is the best part
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 05-23-19, 09:52 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
My TT workout this morning was scheduled as an 8 min interval at 112% or greater, then two 9 min intervals at 100%. Actually that was yesterday’s workout but had a stressful day at work on Tuesday and didn’t feel like getting up early on Wednesday to get the workout done.

I decided with the extra rest day, I could shoot for 116% and it was going great. First four minutes at 115%, right on target. Then a car pulled out in front of me, I had a ten second pause to avoid that collision. Really wanted to make my target and poured it on. Didn’t quite make it, factoring in the pause, but rode the four minutes after at 119%. Factoring out the 10 second pause, I managed 8 minutes at 117%. Boo yah.

Wanted to get some race efforts in around 5800ft this weekend, this is the altitude I’ll be racing at in New Mexico in a few weeks. We were planning on camping up at Mt Pinos and I’d do my TT efforts in the Lockwood Valley. But the weather is not cooperating. Some friends lent us their cabin in Big Bear this weekend, where it will be just as cold but the cabin makes it much more doable. Planning on some TT efforts at Baldwin Lake, totally flat course like New Mexico, but at 6700 ft instead. Whatever. We’ll see what these short max efforts feel like at altitude. And maybe squeeze in a wee mountain bike ride, once I get all the work done.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 05-24-19, 07:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Little big of a "sad trombone" sound for yesterday. Took both the TT bike and roadie out. Planned to do some Chung virtual elevation testing before the group ride while getting in some tempo/SS.

I totally had bungled the install of my Speedplays. I had overtorqued them and didn't lube the cleat. Meaning, it was near impossible to get into them. I farted with loosening the base a touch and didn't have lube with me (I run waxed chains).

I didn't have a pedal wrench either to swap the SPD-SL's over and run those shoes. Danggggit!!!!!!!!

So, wasted an hour.

Group ride was slow as balls. I need to swap from Thursday nights to Tuesdays I guess. Nobody wanted to work. I led the group outbound and was pulling at only like 250 to 270w through some rollers and folks were complaining. Only two of us out of maybe 10 were pulling worth a ****. We were at maybe 250w up a little roller and look back after a minute and see a gap. Just the two of us up there.

I wish the in-town group had a better option. The best work option is a haul out of town like 40min each way.

So, I got off front and told them to set the pace. Once we had a few hills back in town I just dropped the group and waited at the top of each one with another person or so.

Today, I was smarter and packed the SPD-SL pedals/shoes and a wrench in case I can't get the Speedplays sorted for my lunch spin.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-24-19, 10:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Moron item #1 for today: discovered that yesterday I had over tightened the Speedplay cleats. Instead of stopping when I couldn't get my foot in....."oh, let's just mash harder!". I effectively bent the metal top plate pinching the C-ring you clip into. Meaning it wasn't possible to clip in. So, I disassembled it, bent it back to shape, lubed it, and guess what......brains work better than brawn sometimes.

Moron item #2 for today: being so excited to try out my lace-up Giro's with Speedplays and the aero covers with using "soccer lace covers" to simulate the sweet new expensive S-works aero shoe......I proceed to ride 10 mi on the TT bike with it being over 90 degrees outside. Like mid 90's. With some heavy wind, or wind in a direction that didn't play nice with a disc/trispoke for 1/2 the ride. Meaning between already being too hot to make power, and windy enough to not lay it down........it was slow going.

Lessons learned? Don't be a meat head and bash things. Don't be over eager and half kill yourself cause you're so excited to try your new toys out.

I'll get the hang of it someday. Gotta keep trying!
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-24-19, 08:39 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My weight tally for 10 days of vacation is 10 pounds. More than I expected but by next week it should be 5; that travel day was a lot of eating and not much sleeping.

Rode easy on the TT bike for 2 hours; first time in 3 years (when I tore my groin). I'm hoping to do the State TT Champs next week but my neck just can't handle it! I'm sure in a month I'll adapt but a week is a hard ask. I should do it regardless, but its a long drive.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-25-19, 03:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Been taking it somewhat easy for a few weeks so I wanted to hit the legs with a big training dose today without having to ride all day. Ended up with 4:05 (rolling) and 260 TSS, 78% Intensity (NP/AP).

Did a set of 2x20's at 90% on Fiesta bracketed around the "Chili's" group ride. "Sent it" on the ride too. Good times!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-25-19, 05:10 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Recovery ride yesterday, about an hour. Cool, clear, windless; it would've been perfect were it not for the 95% humidity. It was still pretty nice.

Kind of a group ride today. I went out with two tri guys, and pacelining would've screwed up their training, so they were in the wind 100% of the time and I was in the wind about 90% of the time. I'm 6'1" and usually the guy everyone wants to draft off of. One of these guys was 6'4", so I had the luxury of a big draft.

There was a bit of drama for me at the beginning of the ride. The battery in my Allez Sprint's Powertap hub chose this morning to die, so I had to swap everything over to my old Look 585. That set me back almost ten minutes. I had a 30-minute ride to the meetup place and had given myself five minutes just in case. I ended up doing a 28-minute sweet spot interval from a cold start to get there in time.

I got there and it was me and my old lugged carbon, round tubed Look with Ultegra wheels and them with 2019 Shivs with deep carbon wheels. It worked out okay. 2:36, 175 TSS, .82 IF. It didn't feel all that hard. EF was 1.71, pretty happy with that at that effort level.

TSS goal for this week was 675-725. I'm at 673 now, so tomorrow will be another hour at recovery pace. Monday will be 4:30 at endurance pace.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.