Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-13-20, 08:28 AM
  #13226  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 29,311

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8966 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I was on a low mileage week last week but may go even lower this week.

1. Im tired; no days off since sometime back in June.
2. Avastin injection tomorrow so I wont ride on that day.
3. Nothing but 90s and high humidity after that.
All the best.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 08:34 AM
  #13227  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,464

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 3,078 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Now you've done it - you went and edited and now it looks like I've given you a thumbs up for possibly having covid.
You can unlike. If I get COVID, I won't hold it against you, but I'm feeling fine.

Long-suffering spouse, however, threw up a couple of times last night. I think it was the organic, triple-washed greens she had for lunch. She said she's going to try them again to make sure.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 08:38 AM
  #13228  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 19,962

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8363 Post(s)
Liked 1,866 Times in 909 Posts
I’ve always had a problem with taking time off from riding. I just like riding a bicycle and can’t help myself. Been this way for as long as I remember.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-13-20, 08:39 AM
  #13229  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,464

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 3,078 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Ive always had a problem with taking time off from riding. I just like riding a bicycle and cant help myself. Been this way for as long as I remember.
We're all that way around here, far as I can tell.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 08:40 AM
  #13230  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,816

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16875 Post(s)
Liked 5,585 Times in 2,897 Posts
I was cruising posts on the local FB cycling page and I saw it mentioned that someone had Everested in the Twin Cities. Being familiar with all of the "climbs" in the area, this struck me as totally nuts, so I had to look up the specifics. Yup, totally nuts. There are a number of segments on the hill, so I don't know which was officially used, but it boils down to ~.5 miles at ~7% for around 160-170 feet of elevation per. She went up and down 168 times over the course of 23 hours 10 minutes.

Edit - this is, more or less, the segment in question - https://www.strava.com/segments/643393

Last edited by WhyFi; 07-13-20 at 08:45 AM.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 08:42 AM
  #13231  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,807

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 373 Posts
I think my Vector 3 pedals gave up the ghost today. First time I have ever had issues, but reading the interwebz, seems the error I got means they have to be replaced.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 08:43 AM
  #13232  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 37,142

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7416 Post(s)
Liked 2,637 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I was cruising posts on the local FB cycling page and I saw it mentioned that someone had Everested in the Twin Cities. Being familiar with all of the "climbs" in the area, this struck me as totally nuts, so I had to look up the specifics. Yup, totally nuts. There are a number of segments on the hill, so I don't know which was officially used, but it boils down to ~.5 miles at ~7% for around 160-170 feet of elevation per. She went up and down 168 times over the course of 23 hours 10 minutes.
I wonder if she's done a driveway century yet.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 08:43 AM
  #13233  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,807

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I was cruising posts on the local FB cycling page and I saw it mentioned that someone had Everested in the Twin Cities. Being familiar with all of the "climbs" in the area, this struck me as totally nuts, so I had to look up the specifics. Yup, totally nuts. There are a number of segments on the hill, so I don't know which was officially used, but it boils down to ~.5 miles at ~7% for around 160-170 feet of elevation per. She went up and down 168 times over the course of 23 hours 10 minutes.
That has to be mind numbing.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 08:43 AM
  #13234  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,816

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16875 Post(s)
Liked 5,585 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
You can unlike.
Huh. I never noticed the Unlike off to the left side. I just knew that the Like button disappeared as soon as you clicked it.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
If I get COVID, I won't hold it against you, but I'm feeling fine.

Long-suffering spouse, however, threw up a couple of times last night. I think it was the organic, triple-washed greens she had for lunch. She said she's going to try them again to make sure.


So uh, let's hope she pukes again?
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 08:47 AM
  #13235  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 19,962

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8363 Post(s)
Liked 1,866 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
All the best.
You rest up, Bill. Youre the one supposed to be taking it easy.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 08:47 AM
  #13236  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 19,962

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8363 Post(s)
Liked 1,866 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
We're all that way around here, far as I can tell.
Yep.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 08:48 AM
  #13237  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,816

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16875 Post(s)
Liked 5,585 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
That has to be mind numbing.
I just can't imagine. It makes me wonder if she did the math ahead of time and she set out with a realistic idea of how long it'd take her or if she just said, "**** it - let's go" and just didn't quit. They're both a different brand of crazy, but kudos, regardless.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 08:50 AM
  #13238  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,816

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16875 Post(s)
Liked 5,585 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
I think my Vector 3 pedals gave up the ghost today. First time I have ever had issues, but reading the interwebz, seems the error I got means they have to be replaced.
That blows. Warranty is long gone, I suppose?
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 08:51 AM
  #13239  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,807

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
That blows. Warranty is long gone, I suppose?
shouldnt be, got them in May, its just irritating

Last edited by phrantic09; 07-13-20 at 08:55 AM.
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-13-20, 08:52 AM
  #13240  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 37,142

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7416 Post(s)
Liked 2,637 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I just can't imagine. It makes me wonder if she did the math ahead of time and she set out with a realistic idea of how long it'd take her or if she just said, "**** it - let's go" and just didn't quit. They're both a different brand of crazy, but kudos, regardless.
Just winging it to bag an Everesting would be pretty interesting indeed, just riding til that elevation number ticked over.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 09:03 AM
  #13241  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,164

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6660 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
shouldnt be, got them in May, its just irritating
I <3 my Quarqs.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 09:12 AM
  #13242  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,807

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I <3 my Quarqs.
If Garmin wont replace them, Im going to consider other options.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 09:13 AM
  #13243  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,261

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 810 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I <3 my Quarqs.
Didn't I hear something in here about Stages getting their quirks sorted out with the Gen 3 models?

Starting to think maybe a left side meter wouldn't be absolutely out of the question budget wise, maybe for next season.
abshipp is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 09:16 AM
  #13244  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,164

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6660 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Didn't I hear something in here about Stages getting their quirks sorted out with the Gen 3 models?

Starting to think maybe a left side meter wouldn't be absolutely out of the question budget wise, maybe for next season.
You cant sort out the issues with left-side-only. Stages had separate issues, but Id focus on hunting for a used Quarq or Powertap wheel or the like. Youll get actual useable data from that.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 09:22 AM
  #13245  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,261

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 810 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
You cant sort out the issues with left-side-only. Stages had separate issues, but Id focus on hunting for a used Quarq or Powertap wheel or the like. Youll get actual useable data from that.
Ah I see.

Need to do some reading, I suppose.
abshipp is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 10:02 AM
  #13246  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,464

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 3,078 Times in 1,681 Posts
I am waiting for the Assiomas to become available again.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 10:17 AM
  #13247  
SwtBadger
Senior Member
 
SwtBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 297

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
In need of some addiction bike maintenance help.

In the last ~ week, immediately after going over bumps/cracks in the road somewhere in the front end/perhaps middle of the bike there are occasional clicking sounds. It doesn't happen over every bump, but when it does there is usually 1-2 clicks, sometimes as many as five. The clicks might be evenly spaced but haven't determined if it matches wheel rpm or cadence. While at first it sounded to me like a cracking sound, I now hear it like the click similar to that of when using a shifter.

No different feel in the bike when the sound occurs or other obvious effect. Might happen only on the large chain ring. I did just have the rear derailer cable replace but that just seems to be a coincidence.

Its a carbon fiber bike, so I checked for obvious cracks on the frame, fork, wheel etc. No assplosion appears imminent.

Any ideas what or how to troubleshoot?

Last edited by SwtBadger; 07-13-20 at 10:24 AM.
SwtBadger is offline  
Old 07-13-20, 10:29 AM
  #13248  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,297

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 495 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15048 Post(s)
Liked 3,183 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Ive always had a problem with taking time off from riding. I just like riding a bicycle and cant help myself. Been this way for as long as I remember.
Same. Plus, every time I am off the bike more than 3 or 4 days I am askeered what little fitness I have is melting away!
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 10:29 AM
  #13249  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 16,825
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2977 Post(s)
Liked 2,316 Times in 1,270 Posts
Originally Posted by SwtBadger View Post
In need of some addiction bike maintenance help.

In the last ~ week, immediately after going over bumps/cracks in the road somewhere in the front end/perhaps middle of the bike there are occasional clicking sounds. It doesn't happen over every bump, but when it does there is usually 1-2 clicks, sometimes as many as five. The clicks might be evenly spaced but haven't determined if it matches wheel rpm or cadence. While at first it sounded to me like a cracking sound, I now hear it like the click similar to that of when using a shifter.

No different feel in the bike when the sound occurs or other obvious effect. Might happen only on the large chain ring. I did just have the rear derailer cable replace but that just seems to be a coincidence.

Its a carbon fiber bike, so I checked for obvious cracks on the frame, fork, wheel etc. No assplosion appears imminent.

Any ideas what or how to troubleshoot?
Does it happen when you are off the saddle?
big john is online now  
Old 07-13-20, 10:33 AM
  #13250  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,261

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 810 Posts
Hey WhyFi are there any places up around your neck of the woods that would be good for a weekend AirBNB/VRBO getaway?

Probably wouldn't want to go all the way up to the Twin Cities but maybe the Lacrosse/Eau Claire area.
abshipp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.