Old 04-10-20, 04:23 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord View Post
We are reading about a lot of re-current cases, which previously tested negative in South Korea, Taiwan, not just China.
This is very troubling.
Can you please point me to some of these? I have only seen the one report from China.
Old 04-10-20, 04:24 PM
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,252 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Two words--caterpillar.
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
That is one word.

Wrong, "caterpillar" implies " butterfly ". You just didn't wait long enough.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-10-20, 04:34 PM
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Can you please point me to some of these? I have only seen the one report from China.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world-re...positive-again
Old 04-10-20, 04:36 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 117 Posts
Wrong, "caterpillar" implies " butterfly ". You just didn't wait long enough.
Ya got me.
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 04-10-20, 04:46 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6559 Post(s)
Liked 3,057 Times in 1,669 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I don't have one. I do hope something is done to protect privacy as well as public health. Unfortunately a pandemic is a civil libertarian's worst nightmare.

The only real solution is a universal, safe, effective compulsory vaccine.
Even with a vaccine, proof of vaccination, which is the same thing as proof of natural immunity would be required for many activities.

I have been required by my employer (the federal government) to show proof of vaccination or immunity to a slew of diseases and get a flu shot every year as a condition of employment. Privacy is preserved in the sense that the government generally complies with confidentiality laws applicable to health care, although it doesn't have to. I am sympathetic to the civil liberties arguments, but like requiring shots for school attendance, I see all this as one of many liberties we give up for the ability to participate in society in a given role. As you say, public health is the great carve-out, but the courts have overwhelmingly upheld the government's position when it has impinged on individual freedoms during epidemics.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-10-20, 05:58 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Cancel culture is in full swing, how far down this slippery slope will we go?

Old 04-10-20, 06:06 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Cancel culture is in full swing, how far down this slippery slope will we go?

It hasn't gone far enough yet,...
Old 04-10-20, 06:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 14662 Post(s)
Liked 5,607 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
It's my understanding that viruses can be challenged to mutate by vaccines. It's also my understanding that since this is a novel virus, there's much to learn yet. Let's hope we can just stay ahead of it.
Yeah, basically this.

People think about evolution as early humans hunting wooly mammoths, dinosaurs turning into birds, stuff like that. But evolution is what we're talking about right now. Mutations are just mistakes that happen when genetic material is copied, every so often something goes wrong. That's going on all the time in all species, without regard to anything else. The virus only "wants" to make copies of itself, which it does by infecting people. The other half of the pictures is natural selection: if we have a vaccine against the current strain, it can't copy itself in vaccinated people, and it gets "selected against." If a mutation happens that changes the virus in a way that our immune systems don't "recognize" it, and people have been vaccinated, then natural selection will favor the new version and (if the mutation doesn't make it less infective) it will still be able to use most people to make copies of itself, and it will come to be more common in the world, "replacing" the old version.

At the end of the day what you said gets you to the same place. The only important nuance is that the kinds of mutation it would take for the vaccine to stop working might never happen, or they might have "side effects" for the virus that prevent it from spreading. The flu infects a hell of a lot more people, so it makes a lot more copies, and it has a higher mutation rate on top of it, that's why it mutates enough regularly enough that we need a new vaccine every year.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-10-20, 06:32 PM
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Yeah, basically this.

People think about evolution as early humans hunting wooly mammoths, dinosaurs turning into birds, stuff like that. But evolution is what we're talking about right now. Mutations are just mistakes that happen when genetic material is copied, every so often something goes wrong. That's going on all the time in all species, without regard to anything else. The virus only "wants" to make copies of itself, which it does by infecting people. The other half of the pictures is natural selection: if we have a vaccine against the current strain, it can't copy itself in vaccinated people, and it gets "selected against." If a mutation happens that changes the virus in a way that our immune systems don't "recognize" it, and people have been vaccinated, then natural selection will favor the new version and (if the mutation doesn't make it less infective) it will still be able to use most people to make copies of itself, and it will come to be more common in the world, "replacing" the old version.

At the end of the day what you said gets you to the same place. The only important nuance is that the kinds of mutation it would take for the vaccine to stop working might never happen, or they might have "side effects" for the virus that prevent it from spreading. The flu infects a hell of a lot more people, so it makes a lot more copies, and it has a higher mutation rate on top of it, that's why it mutates enough regularly enough that we need a new vaccine every year.

While polio and smallpox didn't mutate "around" their vaccines.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-10-20, 06:35 PM
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker

I wish it was Y2K, nobody actually died because of that.

I've gone so far down the rabbit hole that I've come out the other side, and its still as clear as mud.

My best guess is that this "plandemic" is quite destructive, I reckon its much worse than the virus, which may not even actually exist.

Its a sick joke, with deadly consequences.

It's too bad tinfoil hats don't cure the virus because you obviously have a huge drawer full of them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-10-20, 06:47 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Hello,
My family went to Disney World late January. Grand-dad(me), grand-mom, son (30's), his wife,granddaughter(6yo).
We all got sick, granddaughter had a little cough, wife slept for three days, son's wife slept there and back home for a week.
Back home, son and I diagnosed with acute bronchitis. Doc said something is going around, is unknown and is nasty.

Son recovered, I got it bad.
I am 64, stage 4 prostate cancer, cardio patient, smoked for 40 years, 6ft 250lbs, but a cyclist.
Had all the symptoms, started with diarrhea, dry cough(constant), loss of appetite, body aches, lethargy.
Saw family doctor twice, got steroids, nebulizer treatment, antibiotics, inhaler, antibiotics, codeine cough syrup, took OTC stuff also..

Went on for three weeks. It was bad.
I been keeping a daily log to myself for ten years or so, here are some quotes,

Sick, sick, sick, sounds like I have TB. Also tired, tired, tired. Married life, wife wakes up, comes down the steps. "how are you doing?" she asks. I say I'm exhausted, can't move, throat is dry and dying of thirst. She says " you ought to drink something" and walks away.

Can't even finish a meal. Hacking up yellow chunks.

Sick, sick, sick. Hack, hack, side hurts. Feel like crap.

We usually have a huge Super Bowl Party, we cancelled it. Oh yeah, we gave it to our daughter who is a serious athlete, hit her bad for two weeks.

Last month I texted my doctor and asked if I had had it, he couldn't confirm without the anti-body test, but it was most likely.

I feel 99% certain I had it, I'm still careful, but not crazy. Since I generally hate people, this quarantine is working out for me.

Peace.
Old 04-10-20, 07:09 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi View Post
Hello,
My family went to Disney World late January. Grand-dad(me), grand-mom, son (30's), his wife,granddaughter(6yo).
We all got sick, granddaughter had a little cough, wife slept for three days, son's wife slept there and back home for a week.
Back home, son and I diagnosed with acute bronchitis. Doc said something is going around, is unknown and is nasty.

I am 64, stage 4 prostate cancer, cardio patient, smoked for 40 years, 6ft 250lbs, but a cyclist.
Had all the symptoms, started with diarrhea, dry cough(constant), loss of appetite, body aches, lethargy.
Saw family doctor twice, got steroids, nebulizer treatment, antibiotics, inhaler, antibiotics, codeine cough syrup, took OTC stuff also..

Sick, sick, sick, sounds like I have TB. Also tired, tired, tired. Married life, wife wakes up, comes down the steps. "how are you doing?" she asks. I say I'm exhausted, can't move, throat is dry and dying of thirst. She says " you ought to drink something" and walks away.

We usually have a huge Super Bowl Party, we cancelled it. Oh yeah, we gave it to our daughter who is a serious athlete, hit her bad for two weeks.

Last month I texted my doctor and asked if I had had it, he couldn't confirm without the anti-body test, but it was most likely.

I feel 99% certain I had it, I'm still careful, but not crazy. Since I generally hate people, this quarantine is working out for me.

Peace.
Wow! Glad you're on the mend and best wishes for your family as well.
Old 04-10-20, 07:25 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 326 Posts
I'm Jewish too.. what's the big deal? Overly sensitive.
Old 04-10-20, 07:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 14662 Post(s)
Liked 5,607 Times in 3,211 Posts
It's too bad tinfoil hats don't cure the virus because you obviously have a huge drawer full of them.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-10-20, 09:30 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Awww, you are adorable.

Got any more pearls of wisdom you'd like to share?
Old 04-10-20, 09:35 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
It hasn't gone far enough yet,...
Well then, I'd love to see where this train of thought goes.

Its a happy place I'm sure.
Old 04-10-20, 10:22 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Well then, I'd love to see where this train of thought goes.

Its a happy place I'm sure.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21411873-post21.html
Old 04-10-20, 10:38 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

No worries mate, its all good on this side of planet. (they don't actually count the dead here, its better that way)

Its going to be fine, we're from the government, and we're here to help.
Old 04-10-20, 10:46 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

No worries mate, its all good on this side of planet. (they don't actually count the dead here, its better that way)

Its going to be fine, we're from the government, and we're here to help.
Considering how the numbers from the country of origin have been falsified (as you're hinting at), what does that link have to do with anything? Winnie The Pooh

Last edited by tds101; 04-11-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 10:53 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

I'm bored, have fun figuring this out.

I'll probably be dead before that happens.
Old 04-11-20, 12:33 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi View Post
Hello,

Peace.
There was a savage flu getting around late last year. Very similar symptoms to Covid-19 and symptoms just like you describe. I managed to get it in Antarctica in November, so chances are it wasn't Covid-19 since its unlikely to have gone through Antarctica without going ballistic in New Zealand (if it was Covid-19,) since everybody where I was came through NZ first. I think the main difference was/is the lack of serious lung inflammation.
Old 04-11-20, 02:20 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 10342 Post(s)
Liked 2,368 Times in 1,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
There was a savage flu getting around late last year. Very similar symptoms to Covid-19 and symptoms just like you describe. I managed to get it in Antarctica in November, so chances are it wasn't Covid-19 since its unlikely to have gone through Antarctica without going ballistic in New Zealand (if it was Covid-19,) since everybody where I was came through NZ first. I think the main difference was/is the lack of serious lung inflammation.
Yeah, a few folks where I work got that flu, right at early January... the tough part was convincing them to stay home, so it didn't spread at the office. "Oh it's just a little cough..."

It's that latter attitude that causes every "flu" to spread...

And now we have a real "killer flu" on our hands in the form of COVID-19.
Old 04-11-20, 06:25 AM
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker

Exclamation

Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
I'm Jewish too.. what's the big deal? Overly sensitive.

Well, in my family's case, you just likened having to show you have antibodies to go back to work to getting marked for mode of mass murder-- gassing or slave labor to death.
It's a disgusting trivialization of the massacre of my relatives. No one's discussing marking people for murder on the basis of CV antibody status except in really idiotic troll posts. Be a mensch, knock it off.
​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-20, 06:56 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
My daughter (a freshman, 19 years old and healthy) attends a large Big 10 university. Her dorm is very popular with students from China. In mid December, she came down with a mild fever, aching tiredness combined with a dry, hacking cough that developed into bronchial pneumonia. It took her 6 weeks to finally shed the pneumonia. She tested negative for flu. She told me lots (LOTS) of students were sick with the same thing. In retrospect, hmmm... We went down to see my parents for the holidays in South Florida, thank God they didn't get sick.

I'm willing to bet:
1. Hundreds of thousands of Americans contracted Covid-19 that are not being counted in the current numbers
2. Covid-19 has been in the US for far longer than we have been thinking

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-11-20 at 07:13 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 04-11-20, 07:06 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Yeah, a few folks where I work got that flu, right at early January... the tough part was convincing them to stay home, so it didn't spread at the office. "Oh it's just a little cough..."
If there's ONE THING I pray comes out of this mess: IF YOU ARE SICK, STAY AT HOME. Please let this become a habit from now forward.

I work for a huge company in an industry where working from home is particularly effective. The entire company is now working from home, everyone from call center reps to the CEO. We're, if anything, more productive than ever. Prior to Covid-19, I have been working from home at least a day a week for a few years and it works very well. And yet, every winter idiots insist on coming into the office sick. Fevers, coughing, blowing their nose. This has irritated me for years. I actively encourage (insist) on my own team working from home when they're sick and yet PEOPLE STILL COME IN SICK. Just stop it.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-11-20 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.