Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dog chasing cyclists

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dog chasing cyclists

Old 04-15-22, 09:46 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Also, if you watch dogs play, they frequently will chase and take a nip at each other. Some dogs play fight, others are out for blood. Good luck figuring out which version you're getting while sitting on a bike.
I don't try. I get off the bike. Much easier and much less risk. A fall at modest speed can be very damaging. I had two take me down on Trans Am Bike Race, it sucked. Now, I just dismount and deal with them.....unless I am already really flying down a grade but my sprint is terrible at my age.
Old 04-15-22, 09:58 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

I've only used this once, but carried it on tours for years. Usually the owner deserves it more than the dog.

The penultimate paragraph looks like a random word salad. Did you use text-to-speech-after-Halt!-inhalation?
I carry Halt. 99% of the dogs that run and bark at me are all bark and no bite. Your worst danger would be from wrecking trying to outrun them. I've had a couple scary encounters though. Once was in a subdivision when I was surrounded by 6-8 dogs going up a steep hill. My worst wreck was caused by a big Pit Bull that got ahold of my pants leg while I was speeding away.

I don't spray every dog that runs at me. After a while you can tell if one is determined to bite. I have sprayed a couple of those with good effect ,but the spray actually just pissed off a very aggressive, large Pit looking dog. I did have to out run that one.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-15-22 at 11:03 AM. Reason: No gun talk
Old 04-15-22, 10:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I don't try. I get off the bike. Much easier and much less risk. A fall at modest speed can be very damaging. I had two take me down on Trans Am Bike Race, it sucked. Now, I just dismount and deal with them.....unless I am already really flying down a grade but my sprint is terrible at my age.
These things are so situational but I agree with you that taking a beat to try to figure out the dog's intentions is not a good strategy. My strengths are in evasion and acceleration, but that doesn't do you a lot of good when the dog comes at you out of nowhere at the bottom of a very steep hill (fortunately, that was a tiny dog). OTOH, I definitely did not stop for the arthritic Rottweiler who was giving every indication he meant me harm. He got within a foot of me before I knew he was there because he came out from behind a hedge. My first instinct was to accelerate even though I hadn't actually gotten a good look at him, and that turned out to be comically effective when I realized hw geriatric he actually was.
Old 04-15-22, 11:22 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
TBH, I think dogs' dispositions and reactions are almost as variable as humans'. I don't think you can generalize dogs' reactions to strangers on bicycles from your dog's interactions with you. I'll assume you're giving an accurate appraisal of what defuses your own dog in your presence, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how your dog or other dogs are going to act towards passing stranger cyclists when off the leash.

You're assigning an impossible task to yourself in trying to determine what will or won't make a dog attack more likely. You're basically spouting your hypotheses as if they were proven fact when they haven't been tested in any meaningfully systematic way. And frankly, many of them are astonishingly silly.

And sorry, "I have a big dog" is not an impressive credential suddenly making you an expert. Most of us are reacting with incredulity at your various pronouncements because we've had dogs, and what you're saying is just wildly inconsistent with anything we've ever observed. Dogs and situations are too varied to be predictable, we've got our hands full figuring out how to react when the attacks actually occur to worry about nonsense theories about when they'll occur. I will continue to dress up in bee colors (see other thread), safe in the knowledge that I'm a lot more concerned with my visibility than some absurd notion that I might confuse a dog with my apian garb.

Please don't make me compile a list of all the weird pronouncements you've made on this subject, it's way too late to make yourself credible on this subject at this point.
My "generalized" assumptions have so far worked well for me in avoiding getting chased/attacked for the last few decades while riding bike.

Avoiding getting tensed when encountering aggressive dogs is the the one hardest getting used to. If you're tensed, it affects the way you move and dogs can detect it.
Old 04-15-22, 11:35 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
My "generalized" assumptions have so far worked well for me in avoiding getting chased/attacked for the last few decades while riding bike.
The main reason why you were never chased or attacked by a dog has to do with pure luck.....You were just lucky enough to come across less aggressive dogs and dogs which were trained by their owner to behave themselves and not chase people...This has absolutely nothing to do with bike set up, choice of clothing or diet.
Old 04-15-22, 11:35 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

I agree there.

A well trained Mal is one smart cookie and is obedient. Your dog and your training are not the norm. Most dogs are totally out of control on leash. It is the owner who is the problem
True about being smart. I definitely miss her a lot. Will be getting the same breed if I decide to have another dog in the future.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-15-22, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Avoiding getting tensed when encountering aggressive dogs is the the one hardest getting used to. If you're tensed, it affects the way you move and dogs can detect it.

Give it up, not getting attacked is not a special accomplishment, it's just luck.

I went about 35-40 years between dog chases, and then it happened a few times with none of them involving the dog having any chance to size up my level of tension. I wasn't even tense before they started chasing me because all of the occasions involved the dog chasing me before I was even aware it was there. Two of those events involved dogs so small, it was funnier more than it could have been tense. One of the dogs actually chased a car while its (child) owner was trying to catch him. Was the car too tense or was it running on meaty gasoline? The car wasn't yellow and black, by the way.

The major thing that changed was that I was doing more rural riding in places where the leash laws aren't there or aren't well enforced.

I'm pretty sure this is about your 20th different explanation for why you're not getting attacked. Are you making them up as you go along or do you really believe this crap?

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-15-22 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-15-22, 11:52 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The main reason why you were never chased or attacked by a dog has to do with pure luck.....You were just lucky enough to come across less aggressive dogs and dogs which were trained by their owner to behave themselves and not chase people...This has absolutely nothing to do with personal bike set up, personal choice of clothing or personal diet.
I have encountered unleashed aggressive dogs quite often enough. They just go around me to chase the rider behind, something like that.

I also encounter packs of stray dogs at side of road although I always sound the bell on them to warn them of my presence to avoid a collision. They never gave chase, at least with me. I believe when others way they got chased by a pack of stray dogs. Dogs just seem bit more friendly with me and I'm just sharing the things I do differently that might be a factor.
Old 04-15-22, 12:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have encountered unleashed aggressive dogs quite often enough. They just go around me to chase the rider behind, something like that.

I also encounter packs of stray dogs at side of road although I always sound the bell on them to warn them of my presence to avoid a collision. They never gave chase, at least with me. I believe when others way they got chased by a pack of stray dogs. Dogs just seem bit more friendly with me and I'm just sharing the things I do differently that might be a factor.

Pure nonsense. 99.9% of dogs are too sensible to chase after a cyclist (I made that up, but I think it ain't far off). No one knows the "motivations" of the rest. I can encounter unleashed dogs for months and not get a rise out of any of them, and then some stupid terrier thinks he's Cujo. And you haven't said they "might" be a factor, you've made repeated assertions that this is what drives them.

You're not special, just stop it.
Old 04-15-22, 12:49 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Some dogs LOVE going for a bike ride!

I bought this trike just so I could take my best friend to the park and he loved it.

Likes For A350driver:
Old 04-15-22, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by A350driver

I bought this trike just so I could take my best friend to the park and he loved it.

Nice smile!

My sister just sent me a picture of her dog riding on a seat mounted where the top bar would be on a step-through bike. She says the dog just loves it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-22, 01:25 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Dogs chasing meat eaters is Vegan kool-aid. Utter nonsense.

Some dogs and some breeds have a high prey drive. They like to chase.
It’s so situation dependent that it’s hard to make generalizations.

Our Dobie (aka my shadow, great dog) was investigating our rabbits. She had mild curiosity, until one of them showed fear by bolting across its hutch.

Once that switch got flipped (I can cause a reaction in this other animal) it was game on and I had to move the bunnies.

I’ve been bitten twice. Both times by GSDs. Both times my fault.

In spite of fear mongering and wives tales, I’ve dealt with a lot of Pits, never been bitten by one.

Statistically GSDs bite more people than any other breed.

What most people call “pit bulls” can be 3 different breeds, so divide the number of pit bites by 3.

Maybe the Cocker saw RumRunns video about riding through the woods on opening day of rifle deer season and saying “there’s a lot of gunfire.” Maybe she saw the video and said “I’m going to get a piece of that guy!” Slight sarcasm. I wouldn’t ride a bike through the woods opening weekend of deer season, nor would I hunt deer next to the TDF.
Old 04-15-22, 01:29 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by A350driver

Nice! Busy with other stuff, but I want to train my Dobie to run alongside while I bike.
Love her to bits, she has BC level of intelligence, but it’s directed toward being in tune with the family instead of herding.
Old 04-15-22, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Nice! Busy with other stuff, but I want to train my Dobie to run alongside while I bike.
Love her to bits, she has BC level of intelligence, but it’s directed toward being in tune with the family instead of herding.

There was a man in the neighborhood I grew up in who would drive his big-ass sedan while his Doberman would run alongside. Clearly illegal as hell, but he never got caught for it. The damn thing was vicious, bit my sisters (not seriously, but still) and was known for attacking people all over the neighborhood. 50 years later, and I'm still nervous around Dobies because I got conditioned to take cover whenever that damn mutt ran by. Really the only breed I feel that way about. Some of my best friends have been pit bulls.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-22, 02:16 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

There was a man in the neighborhood I grew up in who would drive his big-ass sedan while his Doberman would run alongside. Clearly illegal as hell, but he never got caught for it. The damn thing was vicious, bit my sisters (not seriously, but still) and was known for attacking people all over the neighborhood. 50 years later, and I'm still nervous around Dobies because I got conditioned to take cover whenever that damn mutt ran by. Really the only breed I feel that way about. Some of my best friends have been pit bulls.
This one was emaciated cruising down the street. Felt bad and took her in.

When I was around 7 we had 2 Staffordshire Terriers. My brother and I did all the stupid things kids do to dogs. Ride on them, pull their ears, mess with them while they were eating, etc. Never had any problems, will always have a soft spot for the breed.

(The taller, skinnier Pit Bulls)
Old 04-15-22, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This one was emaciated cruising down the street. Felt bad and took her in.

When I was around 7 we had 2 Staffordshire Terriers. My brother and I did all the stupid things kids do to dogs. Ride on them, pull their ears, mess with them while they were eating, etc. Never had any problems, will always have a soft spot for the breed.

(The taller, skinnier Pit Bulls)

Fun fact--Pete the Pup in The Little Rascals was actually two dogs, one was an American Pit Bull, the second was a Staffordshire. The Pits had the reputation in those days of being the best dog for kids because they would just follow the kids around all day and were extremely tolerant.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-22, 03:29 PM
GhostRider62

It’s so situation dependent that it’s hard to make generalizations.

Our Dobie (aka my shadow, great dog) was investigating our rabbits. She had mild curiosity, until one of them showed fear by bolting across its hutch.

Once that switch got flipped (I can cause a reaction in this other animal) it was game on and I had to move the bunnies.

I’ve been bitten twice. Both times by GSDs. Both times my fault.

In spite of fear mongering and wives tales, I’ve dealt with a lot of Pits, never been bitten by one.

Statistically GSDs bite more people than any other breed.

What most people call “pit bulls” can be 3 different breeds, so divide the number of pit bites by 3.

Maybe the Cocker saw RumRunns video about riding through the woods on opening day of rifle deer season and saying “there’s a lot of gunfire.” Maybe she saw the video and said “I’m going to get a piece of that guy!” Slight sarcasm. I wouldn’t ride a bike through the woods opening weekend of deer season, nor would I hunt deer next to the TDF.
Exactly.

Why I said, "Some"

I get off the bike
Old 04-15-22, 03:31 PM
GhostRider62

True about being smart. I definitely miss her a lot. Will be getting the same breed if I decide to have another dog in the future.
I hope you get one, it would be my breed if my situation allowed for one.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-15-22, 03:38 PM
GhostRider62

These things are so situational but I agree with you that taking a beat to try to figure out the dog's intentions is not a good strategy. My strengths are in evasion and acceleration, but that doesn't do you a lot of good when the dog comes at you out of nowhere at the bottom of a very steep hill (fortunately, that was a tiny dog). OTOH, I definitely did not stop for the arthritic Rottweiler who was giving every indication he meant me harm. He got within a foot of me before I knew he was there because he came out from behind a hedge. My first instinct was to accelerate even though I hadn't actually gotten a good look at him, and that turned out to be comically effective when I realized hw geriatric he actually was.
At the top of very long and steep climb, I encountered 3 dogs after midnight in Kentucky. One was a pit, one was a mutt, and the leader was a little white yapper. I dismounted and walked. The pit was totally fine seemingly friendly UNTIL the yapper rawled the pit and the mutt up. I swung the bike as a shield while walking. Once out of their territory, they gave up. Someone stole the spray off my bike the day before when I was in a minimart getting food. Bottomline for me, I am no longer going to try to outrun a dog unless I am already doing over 20 mph and the gradient is not positive (downhills.....please)
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-15-22, 03:57 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I think a major problem with dogs is people getting the wrong type of dog for their living situation.

Like neglecting a highly relational dog, or getting an Ausie where he has no room to play, or getting a chihuahua because your kids saw Beverly Hills Chihuahua, etc.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-15-22, 08:05 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Pure nonsense. 99.9% of dogs are too sensible to chase after a cyclist (I made that up, but I think it ain't far off). No one knows the "motivations" of the rest. I can encounter unleashed dogs for months and not get a rise out of any of them, and then some stupid terrier thinks he's Cujo. And you haven't said they "might" be a factor, you've made repeated assertions that this is what drives them.

You're not special, just stop it.
I agree with you that I'm not special with dogs. I'm simply doing things I've learned living with dogs.

Besides, I'm only advising prevention, avoiding attention of dogs. I'm not telling anyone to abandon their preferred course of action if they believe they are being targetted by a dog for attack. I'm not telling anyone to stop using mace or don't sprint for it or steer towards the dog. I love dogs, owned a few so far, all of them adopted but would still value human life above dogs.

It's the owners job to protect their dogs by active intervention and good training, not yours, nor mine.
Old 04-16-22, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I agree with you that I'm not special with dogs. I'm simply doing things I've learned living with dogs.

Besides, I'm only advising prevention, avoiding attention of dogs. I'm not telling anyone to abandon their preferred course of action if they believe they are being targetted by a dog for attack. I'm not telling anyone to stop using mace or don't sprint for it or steer towards the dog. I love dogs, owned a few so far, all of them adopted but would still value human life above dogs.

It's the owners job to protect their dogs by active intervention and good training, not yours, nor mine.

No, you're not just advising prevention, you've been telling people what to eat, what to wear, how to pedal, how to posture yourself on the bike, to abstain from alcohol use, and I'm sure a few other silly things I really don't remember.

If you're admitting that prevention is completely a matter of people controlling their badly behaved dogs, then we finally agree. There really is nothing a cyclist can do that reliably avoids the attention of dogs with dysfunctional behavior. There's every reason in the world to think they may actually be chasing bicycles that cyclists happen to be riding on. Some dogs chase cars, for crying out loud.

By the way, I did my usual after-work 25 mile ride last night and noticed how many unleashed dogs I pass on the MUP completely without incident. I'm so used to it that it really wasn't registering how routine it is. Had to be about ten such dogs, and dozens of leashed. Generally, the dogs don't even give me a side glance. And I had beef for lunch. I do that ride about 3 times a week, and ride about 150 miles on roads on the weekends. I've had about 4 unpleasant interactions with dogs in the last three years, none of them a serious threat. Otherwise, dogs ignore me, although one golden retriever tried to race me on the MUP, which was quite adorable. Do the math on how many dogs I encounter per week and you'll understand why I'm completely unimpressed by your lack of canine attention.

I had to decline the goldie's racing challenge because the kids who were walking him off the leash were in a panic, btw. I felt bad, it would've been glorious CAT 6 with a dog.
Old 04-16-22, 05:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

At the top of very long and steep climb, I encountered 3 dogs after midnight in Kentucky. One was a pit, one was a mutt, and the leader was a little white yapper. I dismounted and walked. The pit was totally fine seemingly friendly UNTIL the yapper rawled the pit and the mutt up. I swung the bike as a shield while walking. Once out of their territory, they gave up. Someone stole the spray off my bike the day before when I was in a minimart getting food. Bottomline for me, I am no longer going to try to outrun a dog unless I am already doing over 20 mph and the gradient is not positive (downhills.....please)

I've never understood the behavior of yappy little dogs and how they seem to set the agenda for the much larger dogs they're with. I guess the domestication selection probably knocks out their "strength equals dominance" instincts.
Old 04-16-22, 06:52 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts

You can definitely reduce some dog bad behavior by being more assertive and less fearful. I ride a good bit with my wife. She worries about dogs and gets chased a lot more than I do. I can often shout at one and turn him around where she wouldn't have any authority in her voice if she tried to do the same. Most dogs are just chasers and yappers. Like I said before, I worry more about my wife hurting herself trying to get away from those chasers and yappers than from an attack. However, every now and then a you encounter a dog determined to attack and bite rather than just chase and bark. Those dogs don't care how assertive you are, or if you yell, or squirt them with a water bottle. I had one that just ran at me harder and more vicious after a face full of HALT. Somebody in my neighborhood killed that dog not long after that incident. It wasn't me, but I certainly sympathize with whoever did it.

If I encounter a truly vicious dog, I get off my bike and get it between me and the dog to use as a shield. I will use my pepper spray on one of those and I have lethal backup just incase.
Old 04-16-22, 06:58 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Dealing with dogs is just part of cycling where I am. Historically, a lot of people abandoned their pets years ago during hard times and now we have wild packs running around. They are typically ok, won't chase unless they have puppies nearby and more a nuisance off-road for MTB'ers.

Pets outside people's homes do chase bikes and it can be a problem making sure to avoid an accident. I will only sprint away if it is safe to do so and not risk harming the dog or myself in an accident. The worst I have heard of is a dog jumping out of a car window when lunging for a cyclist I know; it resulted in a big accident, broken bones, bike etc. no suing though, that culture isn't so prevalent here.

I've grown up with pets, nearly always had a dog in the house, from small to very large. My current dog will try to catch my feet on my bike; to her it is a game. I get chased by dogs at least two or three times a month - mostly I just talk to them and continue on my way ensuring I don't crash into them; I've never had to dismount though, just regulate my speed until past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.