Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-22, 10:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
boomers invented Microsoft and Apple. Hold.my beer.
Might be the difference between "Boomer" and "Generation Jones". Those of us born after 1955 had significantly different experiences, growing up. Gates and Jobs were both born in 1955.

I should note that my siblings, all Boomers, don't think there's any reason to make such a distinction. Typical Boomers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-03-22, 10:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The Older Boy's then Girlfriend used to work at Williams Sonoma. She was forever gifting us with stuff from there. Most of it came with some bowl, or tin, or something that, honestly, we already have too many/much of. I guess those sorts of things are fine for folks just starting out, who don't already have a kitchen full of stuff, but if, like us, your kitchen is full already, you put on your best forced smile and say thank you, and hope she doesn't expect to see you using the thing in the future.
I used to think that 90% of kitchen gadgets and small appliances were wastes of space and money. I've softened that stance somewhat - I now think that 90% of kitchen gadgets and small appliances are wastes of space and money for 90% of people. If you fall within that 10% though, some of these stupid things can be heaven-sent.

One such stupid thing, at least in western culture, that I've felt myself coming around on is rice cookers. My mom always had one, as all little Asian ladies should, when I was growing up, but I've always thought that they were unnecessary in my own kitchen. Well, I still think they're unnecessary, but I'm starting to feel that one would be really helpful.
Old 06-03-22, 10:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I used to think that 90% of kitchen gadgets and small appliances were wastes of space and money. I've softened that stance somewhat - I now think that 90% of kitchen gadgets and small appliances are wastes of space and money for 90% of people. If you fall within that 10% though, some of these stupid things can be heaven-sent.

One such stupid thing, at least in western culture, that I've felt myself coming around on is rice cookers. My mom always had one, as all little Asian ladies should, when I was growing up, but I've always thought that they were unnecessary in my own kitchen. Well, I still think they're unnecessary, but I'm starting to feel that one would be really helpful.
We've had a rice cooker for decades. Literally the same one. But 30 years ago, our best friends were a Japanese woman and her husband, so we got the idea from them. We got along well, and our children were best friends. Then they got more religious and we...didn't. I think when their son asked The Older Boy if he knew about Jesus, and TOB said, "Isn't he the son of Zeus?", that might have been one of the last straws.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-03-22, 10:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Finally got my race team kit yesterday. Only took 3 months.
Holy **** is it tight. I pre tried on the Jerseys, and my friend wanted me to go with medium. I decided last min to go with large, and I got large bibs. I am so glad I did. The Jersey is super tight and if it was any smaller it would look dumb.
The bibs were hard to get on. Size large as well, I can only hope the stretch out some with use.

I didn’t wear them for todays ride, will try them next week.
Typical. I'm the only person on our thing who fits into a men's medium jersey.
Old 06-03-22, 10:45 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8811 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,717 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I never met him, but had some professional overlap in real life. Interesting guy, but the posts were unreadable.
Thumbs up. Waaaay up.
Old 06-03-22, 10:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

In Pearl Izumi jerseys, a Large is a good fit. In Le Col, an XL is a skin-tight fit. In Castelli, XXL is snug.

The sizing of bike clothing has made me more sympathetic to the plight of women trying to buy clothing - they get a single, dimensionless number which has to cover all the different shapes women come in. Men's clothes, by contrast - pants have a waist size and inseam, shirts have collar size and sleeve length and then slim or regular.

Old 06-03-22, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Friday rant:

I call my bank to put a travel alert on my card. The woman with whom I speak with sounds like she's in high school. I emphasize that this needs to work because I may be in places where I need to use an ATM and have no cell service to report a locked card. She enthusiastically tells me she is going to give me a confirmation number so I can call and yell at someone if my card gets locked. WTH. I felt compelled to tell her that listening is an important part of being a customer service agent.
Old 06-03-22, 10:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts
In Pearl Izumi jerseys, a Large is a good fit. In Le Col, an XL is a skin-tight fit. In Castelli, XXL is snug.

The sizing of bike clothing has made me more sympathetic to the plight of women trying to buy clothing - they get a single, dimensionless number which has to cover all the different shapes women come in. Men's clothes, by contrast - pants have a waist size and inseam, shirts have collar size and sleeve length and then slim or regular.
I wish they’d just use realistic people in the size guide photos. I don’t care of Rueben is 6 feet tall and wears a small, because Reuben clearly weighs 135 pounds.
Old 06-03-22, 10:57 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It was a year in April, according to my nosey search.

btw where is LAJ?
My guess is he's on paid vacay from work, and is taking his BF vacay at the same time.
Swinging in a hammock on a Caribbean beach.
Old 06-03-22, 11:01 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by DougRNS
Thumbs up. Waaaay up.
I am always amazed when someone is so convinced the world gives a **** what they have to say that they refuse to adopt a readable writing style. It's a continual struggle with the trainees, especially the ones from backgrounds where grandiose turgidity is equated with smarts.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-03-22, 11:02 AM
WhyFi

I think that bampilot06 just needs to embrace the sausage casing look - his jerseys aren't quite Velo Vol levels of parachute, but they're too flappy for a serious cyclist
Old 06-03-22, 11:02 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Friday rant:

I call my bank to put a travel alert on my card. The woman with whom I speak with sounds like she's in high school. I emphasize that this needs to work because I may be in places where I need to use an ATM and have no cell service to report a locked card. She enthusiastically tells me she is going to give me a confirmation number so I can call and yell at someone if my card gets locked. WTH. I felt compelled to tell her that listening is an important part of being a customer service agent.
A bot, no doubt.
Old 06-03-22, 11:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Last night was the first ride on the Canyon with the new, thread-together BB. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the bike creaked just the same.

On the plus side, it's a better BB, and I was going to do something like that anyway. But I should have been a bit less sure I knew what the problem was. Since it was EXACTLY the same creaking noise, I spent more time diagnosing it. It doesn't happen when I'm out of the saddle - AT ALL. It doesn't happen as much when I'm on the saddle working hard, like a seated climb. It happens when I'm pedaling along on the flats, and I can make it better by concentrating on pedaling circles. I thought it might be the bars, but then I tried torquing them up and down, and nothing. My best guess is the seatpost, or rather the seatpost/seat tube interface. So I pulled the post last night, slathered it with the last of the carbon assembly paste from the assembly kit that came with the bike, and carefully torqued it down to the indicated 5 Nm. We'll see. Over the winter, when the bike was on the trainer most of the time, I had lowered the seatpost about 3-4 mm, chasing the elusive Perfect Position, and it's possible I didn't torque the clamp screw enough.

We'll see, and hear, tonight. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what I'll do next.

Old 06-03-22, 11:05 AM
seedsbelize2

I am always amazed when someone is so convinced the world gives a **** what they have to say that they refuse to adopt a readable writing style. It's a continual struggle with the trainees, especially the ones from backgrounds where grandiose turgidity is equated with smarts.
There are those among us who are convinced that word is used in only one manner. I have argued with them to no avail. Thank you.
Old 06-03-22, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
A bot, no doubt.
Nope, sadly. She sounded like a Valley Girl poster child. Customer service has hit new lows since the pandemic.
MoAlpha
• —

This last batch were from Eliel. And yes, the women have it tough in many ways.

I think that bampilot06 just needs to embrace the sausage casing look - his jerseys aren't quite Velo Vol levels of parachute, but they're too flappy for a serious cyclist
Tell him it's fast!
seedsbelize2

I got on my daily town bike this morning, and it was almost unrideable due to an over-tight headset.
Old 06-03-22, 11:10 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8811 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,717 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
There are those among us who are convinced that word is used in only one manner. I have argued with them to no avail. Thank you.
you are way ahead of me. After curse words my vocabulary is about 34 words. Sad.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 06-03-22, 11:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I wish they’d just use realistic people in the size guide photos. I don’t care of Rueben is 6 feet tall and wears a small, because Reuben clearly weighs 135 pounds.
Last year, after I'd gotten down to the neighborhood of 200 lbs and kept it off for a while, I got new pants in a smaller waist size. They fit!!! Then I saw Louis Garneau FitSensor 2 bibs on sale. I figured I'd gone down a size, so I bought 2 pair of L, vs the XL I'd been wearing for years.

Turns out, the L bibs have SIGNIFICANTLY shorter legs. So short, in fact, that I cannot wear them to ride outside. Think "women's shorts" length. They're relegated to Zwfting. This is too bad, because otherwise they fit fine and do a good job keeping everything in place.

Old 06-03-22, 11:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Nope, sadly. She sounded like a Valley Girl poster child. Customer service has hit new lows since the pandemic.
I hate that? Every sentence sounds like a question?

Old 06-03-22, 11:21 AM
WhyFi

Tell him it's fast!
I have one of Rapha's Race/"Compression Fit" LS jerseys in an M and, boy howdy, is it ever a compression fit. Sure does feel fast, though.
Old 06-03-22, 11:23 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I have one of Rapha's Race/"Compression Fit" LS jerseys in an M and, boy howdy, is it ever a compression fit. Sure does feel fast, though.
As long as it's not constricting your breathing.

Old 06-03-22, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

As long as it's not constricting your breathing.
Nope. Fabulously stretchy - it's just a very clingy look, which requires a whole 'nother level of lack of modesty/self-consciousness.
Old 06-03-22, 11:33 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
My wife and I have crossed over behind the Cheddar Curtain. We’re going to spend the week riding in Illinois’ largest state park, aka Wisconsin.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 06-03-22, 11:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Nope. Fabulously stretchy - it's just a very clingy look, which requires a whole 'nother level of lack of modesty/self-consciousness.
I got a Le Col like that. I don't have the stones to wear it in public.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.