Notices
Northern California Northern California

Chico California riders !

Old 11-05-22, 11:21 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Chico California riders !

Not long ago I was returning to Grass Valley via 32 and noticed a few cyclists climbing up the Hwy from Chico. It looks like a great and challenging ride but wondering about typical traffic, shoulder conditions? Is there a recommended turnaround spot?

Cheers!
Old 11-08-22, 02:10 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
My recollection of Highway 32 out of Chico and all the way to Highway 89 is that it was a pretty steady grade, a rhythm climb, not a power climb. The further you get away from Chico, the prettier it gets. I don't recall much in the way of traffic and I don't recall problems with the road surface or width.

Of course, the only time I did it was 42 years ago, so my memory may be foggy and things may have changed since then.