Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help! Anyone Know What Model This Tandem is?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 09:28 AM
NewTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I'm looking to getting into tandem bicycling and have been shopping for one for a few years, but have not yet pulled the trigger on on. There's a red Burley that came about on Craigslist that caught my eye, going for about $350, so I would appreciate any input (model, pricing, review, performance, etc.) anyone has on the pictures below. We would definitely be beginners and probably wouldn't progress too much, so our first tandem may be our last.

Also, I have a standard rear car bike rack and assume I would need to upgrade to transport the tandem around, but any input is again appreciated.
thank you in advance!

Old 01-14-22, 10:28 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Pretty good price for a solid starter tandem for you. Looks to be in pretty good condition. Depending on what the current parts group is could limit the upgrade potential but is very ride-able. Do you know if the size is a good fit for you? It has the drum, drag brake which is a very nice feature and is marketable should you not need it. On the rack, if it is a trailer hitch or trunk mount it can work for use with a tandem but you would want to take the wheels off to narrow it to fit within the mirrors on most care. Welcome and good luck! Keep us posted.
Likes For Paul J:
Old 01-16-22, 12:48 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
That looks very much like a Burley Samba mid to late 90's. Excellent price. Hop on that! I'd be leery buying a single bike from that era but tandem riders generally take care of their toys. I mean, look at that bike. We bought one for almost double the price a couple of years ago. Don't let your Stoker fall in love with those bars. Get something with a more sensible rise ASAP.
Old 01-16-22, 11:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That looks very much like a Burley Samba mid to late 90's. Excellent price. Hop on that! I'd be leery buying a single bike from that era but tandem riders generally take care of their toys. I mean, look at that bike. We bought one for almost double the price a couple of years ago. Don't let your Stoker fall in love with those bars. Get something with a more sensible rise ASAP.
Nope. Duet. - -et on the top tube is the give away. Someone probably changed out the drop bars for flat ones.

Agree on the price.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-16-22, 07:33 PM
GA in VA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grab that!

That's a nice price. When an organization (Charlottes Tandems US) wanted to sell me a Fuji Absolute 4.2 of about the same quality for $400, my husband (who doesn't ride) said without hesitation "let's get it". Gandalk the Gray has been a great bike. I think your potential bike is as good or better than Gandalk the Grey.