Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 07:37 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
Miss B,
I went to REI and the LBS and they had nothing in my size. Even the mens shorts were all small and medium. So, I am either going to order from Aerotech or Love2Pedal. Probably L2P since he( or she) is a forum member. I want to support the home team afterall.
Kate
Aerotechdesigns is also a forum member, by the way.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-30-09, 07:42 PM
jim10040

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Now you know, if you're riding a '70s or '80s Pugeot, you're going to get guys talking with you about it. And when you tell them you fixed it yourself, that'll be even better! So now you'll have new riding partners, and you'll wear your bike shorts, and you'll have a good time hanging out with completely different people than you've been with in the past!
This is Progress!
You'll have a blast, too!
Old 07-31-09, 09:38 AM
Kneez

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
Kneez,
Glad you joined! What kind of bike are you getting and do you plan to post pics? Hope so!
Kate
Thanks for the welcome. I am getting a sort of mixed Bianchi Imola/Vigorelli. I wanted the Vigorelli but I didn't like the compact double so I went for the Imola but am having the Imola components upgraded. The frame is the same so it will almost be the same as the Vigorelli but with a triple rather than the compact double.
Old 07-31-09, 12:36 PM
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks like Aerotech has all sizes of womens bike shorts. I think I bought my mens form an LBS and womens fromAerotech. I believ I hve bought expensive and cheaper shorts from Aerotech and liked the more expensive ones better. I think withbike shorts more you spend,the better they are.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/cyclingshort-women.htm
Old 07-31-09, 02:17 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I usually prefer the men's relaxed cut bike JERSEYs anyhow. The women's short sleeve jerseys generally have the sleeves too short for me; and as a curmudgeonly 50-ish person I don't like wearing cutesy prints (butterflies, dragonflies, flowers). For daytime training rides I usually just wear a wicking T; other times I want the bike jersey for either the hiVis color or for the pockets.

Bike shorts are pretty easy for me - I fit in "regular" women's sizes on those. Jerseys I need L or XL mens (easy) or XXL womens (harder to find). It's just a legacy from a lot of swimming.
Old 08-14-09, 12:32 PM
cncracer

Bikes: Mnt Bike, and a road racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am that way, I have just had knee surgery, and was a runner prior to that. Running lets you wear normal running shorts, and that is what I would like for the biking I now have to replace the running with. I just cannot see myself riding outside in something that looks like my under clothes. The bikers I ride with think it is funny, and I may stand out like a sour thumb, but thus far I am in baggy shorts over biker shorts.
Old 08-14-09, 12:52 PM
Jasmijo

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Sputnik, a couple of old mixtes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclokitty
On the subject of bike shorts, I do wear them but beneath another pair of shorts or pants. I feel like I'm only wearing underwear when I put on my bike shorts.
I agree. Shorts under your regular clothes will allow you to be more comfortable, physically and emotionally.

Also, I haven't caught too much flack from idiots while riding my bike, but once someone quietly said to me from their car as they were driving by, "You need to drop some weight." I was like, "What?! I am ON a BIKE!" Anyway, those people who will say or think negative things are the same people who will say or think negative things whether you were on a bike or not. So, don't let them stop you from living your life!
Old 08-14-09, 01:23 PM
ibebikin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry jasmijo, but i just laughed my ass off at your post. just the idea of the comment and the fact that you were, in fact, doing something to help you lose weight is crushing me right now hahah.

ride a clyde!
Old 08-14-09, 02:05 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Its only shallow and insecure people that laugh as they worry about their own inadequecies.

Ride on an enjoy the sport!
Old 08-14-09, 02:19 PM
Jasmijo

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Sputnik, a couple of old mixtes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ibebikin
...the fact that you were, in fact, doing something to help you lose weight...
I know! It's not like I was sitting in a lawn chair, eating ice cream (which, btw, sounds fantastic). You just have to shrug off stuff like that.
Old 08-14-09, 02:19 PM
gotls1
Cute, fluffy, and illegal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasmijo
once someone quietly said to me from their car as they were driving by, "You need to drop some weight." I was like, "What?! I am ON a BIKE!"
This made me laugh as well. That's really all you can do when confronted by idiocy like that. Just laugh and say F-em. They don't know you, never will, and that's their loss.
Old 08-14-09, 02:25 PM
ibebikin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OR, you could throw your bike tool thru their window and then turn and ride the wrong way. sucks to be in a car sometimes sucka!
Old 08-14-09, 02:59 PM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasmijo
... once someone quietly said to me from their car as they were driving by, "You need to drop some weight." I was like, "What?! I am ON a BIKE!"...
Had somebody say something like that to me from the passenger seat of a car at a traffic signal. I said something like "You figured that out all by yourself, huh? Whew!". The other teenagers in the car laughed their asses off.

Old 08-15-09, 06:44 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have ordered and received the shorts!! They're just as bad as I had imagined-------BUT, I have worn them with no ill effects. Nobody had a heart attack at the sight of me or yelled profane and embarrassing things. I'm not sure that I was a whole lot more comfortable on the bike but I don't really go far enough to tell yet. So, here's to all of you who offered so much encouragement. Now it's just a question of more time on the bike. Which is not that hard to do since I love it.
Old 08-15-09, 06:57 PM
Sir-Loin

Bikes: Specialized forever....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am right where you are, Just got my riding setup and its going to be a long road. I read Heft on Wheels for support, 3 times!
Old 08-15-09, 07:03 PM
turbo2L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People look down on and make fun of overweight people regardless. Just do it!

And as a fellow overeight person, I just used bicycle shorts for the first time yesterday, and I was able to ride without smashing my balls (with minor adjustments here and there) and zero chafing. The bunching problem with normal shorts is nearly eliminated with bike shorts.

But you could always put normal shorts on outside the bike shorts.
Old 08-16-09, 03:01 AM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice work turtlewoman!

I always wear knickers or loose workout capris when I'm riding. If I ever find bike shorts that I like, I'll just wear them under other pants. A bonus of wearing knickers is that you can go into a store without feeling like you're from an alien planet.

Nobody has ever yelled anything at me about how fat I am, but I've had lots of people yell or comment about my lights (some really nice comments too). But I guess once a jeep did drive by me and moo a bunch of times. The jeep, not the people! They had a "moo" instead of a horn. I still don't know what to make of that one.
Old 08-16-09, 04:22 AM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir-Loin
I am right where you are, Just got my riding setup and its going to be a long road. I read Heft on Wheels for support, 3 times!
What is Heft on Wheels? Is it a book or article? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Old 08-16-09, 08:32 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
It's a book. Its a pretty good one, too.

Amazon.com: Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180 (9781400052400): Mike Magnuson: Books Amazon.com: Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180 (9781400052400): Mike Magnuson: Books

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-16-09, 08:56 AM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All I can say is that you guys are inspiring.

I golfed yesterday and was going to loaf today, Now, I have decided to put the laptop away, get the bike out and go...
Old 08-16-09, 08:57 PM
isara
Big Girl Biking

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the subject of shorts..

On the Aerotech site, there are a number of options, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. The High Performance and the Women's Pro are the ones I'm looking at right now. What's the difference? Has anyone tried both or have a particular preference?
Old 08-16-09, 09:32 PM
Mook

Bikes: Schwinn Cimmarron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just get out and ride and have fun. I'm living proof that God has a sense of humor. Therefore, it is my godgiven mission to put grins and snickers on folks faces.

I ride because it feels good, I enjoy it, my daughter enjoys it. I get to experience a world that few people ever see hear or smell.

Enjoy the ride, rest easy in the fact that you've elicited a response that had made someone think and therefore challenge normal convention.

Have fun.
Old 08-16-09, 10:29 PM
ecovelo

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Individuals who find it necessary to demean others are typically extremely insecure themselves. Sometimes I may for an instant... just an instant feel sorry for those individuals, but really pity doesn't move anyone forward. Reaction is what they are looking for so I try not to indulge them.

Congratulations for getting back out there! Take pride in every mile, every ride...especially on those days when it's the last thing you want to do. I find those days to be the most rewarding

Thanks for the thread and the inspiration...
Ecovelo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-17-09, 10:47 AM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Nacho Libre!!!
Old 08-17-09, 01:09 PM
markdavid570

Bikes: Giant FCR 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha! This is great...I love hearing that I'm not the only one with this! I'm 6'5 and 265 lbs...while I don't necessarily consider myself to be too too big, I certainly want to drop 20 or 30 pounds. Here's my story...

I live in Lewisburg, PA...home of Bucknell University. Lots of rich kids with too much money and not enough to do...and little to no consequences (it's a generalization...they're not all bad, but you get what I'm saying). I don't consider myself terribly chubby, and at 29, I don't consider myself old...but I definitely get funny looks from people...especially when I ride close to the college when classes are in. I'll never forget riding past the campus and having a car full of trust fund kids ride by with one of them yelling "nice bike f*gg*t". Eh...what was I going to do? Does it make me mad when it happens...yeah, but that's because I have an unhealthy temper. All in all, does it matter...nope. My fiance tells me she loves the way I look. Do I think she's crazy? Yup. Am I questioning it? Nope! I full admit to being one of those guys whose significant other is way too attractive for him!

Anyway, I work for a group of orthopaedic surgeons...two of which ride competitively...I mean...real bada**es on bikes. The one specifically looks like he's cut from steel. Anyway, they are some of the biggest supporters of ANYONE getting out and riding. The way I see it, if the rich, cyclist/surgeon is on my side...what do I care about some frat kid? Besides that, every time I'm out riding and I see other cyclists...whether "real" riders, or just casual riders, everyone seems to say hello. That's important to me.

All that being said...I wear cycling shorts under a pair of mesh basketball shorts...and I just wear a black t-shirt. Maybe next year I'll think about the actual riding jerseys...but that's just my comfort level. I know I look pretty ridiculous when I ride...but I know that I feel awesome...and that's what I care about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.