Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

RAGBRAI Raleigh Revival

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

RAGBRAI Raleigh Revival

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 12:37 PM
campfire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 77 Posts
RAGBRAI Raleigh Revival

I picked up a Raleigh Kodiak from an estate sale. The guy had a collection of old road & touring bikes, and a few cool oddballs. I think this one is a 1986 model (based on first digit of S/N), and it's been sitting for many years. Every moving part is functional, but the bike is in generally poor (neglected) condition. It's been modified a bit (handlebars & brifters are the most obvious changes). My plan is to strip it down, repair as needed, and then to take it on RAGBRAI. What's RAGBRAI? It's a 500-mile tour across the state of Iowa (held each July). It's a very light-hearted ride, nothing serious. But I do need the bike to be reliable before setting off.

As background to this story, Younger Me put about 4500 miles on a pair of 1985 Schwinn Travelers. I have many fond memories, but then I took a decade off from riding (still not sure why). The last 8 years I've been riding hybrids & ebikes. After trying a bunch of combinations, I still found myself wishing for the geometry of my old Traveler. Drop bars and long wheelbase gave me a comfortable riding position. I've gotten somewhat similar with an aerobar/butterfly bar combination on my 1993ish Schwinn Crosscut. But it's not quite what I wanted, as the frame geometry is still a bit off. So rather than trying to recreate the geometry of an 80s touring bike, I simply bought an 80s touring bike.

Is it old? Yes.
Does it need some work? Also yes.
Is steel heavy? Yep.
Is it slow? Yes, compared to some bikes. I'm ok with that.
Are 27" tires harder to find? Yes, though not THAT hard. And 700c is an easy swap
Are old caliper brakes marginal? Yes, but this bike has cantilever brakes. Should be good enough for me.
Are old bikes cool? YES!

This'll be a fun project.

Last edited by campfire; 05-19-23 at 12:44 PM.
Likes For campfire:
Old 05-19-23, 12:41 PM
campfire

I threw on a new chain and a set of 700c wheels and gave it a series of short test rides. After 60 miles or so, I'm really liking it. The geometry does fit me better than the other bikes I've tried, so it's not just nostalgia talking. Speed isn't my focus, but my commute is slightly faster on this bike than on my similarly-equipped Crosscut. Aerodynamics are doubtless better, but I think I'm also pedaling harder in this position than I do with the upright bars.

Here's how it looks with the 700c wheels:

Last edited by campfire; 05-19-23 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 01:08 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Nice! I'm probably building up an 80s Focus canti frame for Ragbrai too. Vintage steel just seems appropriate that week.
Likes For shoota:
Old 05-19-23, 01:11 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
You've found the right crowd, can't wait to see how you clean it up!

Also, there's no need to apologize for steel frames and rim brakes. They worked for over 100 hundred years, they'll continue to. Especially rim brakes. Pros only went to disc because their sponsors forced them to. But that's another topic!

Lovely bike
Likes For Piff:
Old 05-19-23, 01:16 PM
campfire

Originally Posted by shoota
Nice! I'm probably building up an 80s Focus canti frame for Ragbrai too. Vintage steel just seems appropriate that week.
It is appropriate! And it's not just that the ride is rooted in old steel bikes, nor that they're celebrating 50 years this summer. I personally rode it 6 times on those old Travellers, so I have some nostalgia in play here. These new memories will fit right in with my old memories.
Old 05-19-23, 01:23 PM
campfire

Originally Posted by Piff
You've found the right crowd, can't wait to see how you clean it up!

Also, there's no need to apologize for steel frames and rim brakes. They worked for over 100 hundred years, they'll continue to. Especially rim brakes. Pros only went to disc because their sponsors forced them to. But that's another topic!

Lovely bike
Thanks.

It's not an apology. I'm just setting out the goals at the start of the project. Chromoly was one of my criteria for this build. I prefer the ride quality of a flexible frame. I didn't expect canti brakes when I went shopping, but I'm happy to have them. They're a nice bonus in my book.
Old 05-19-23, 01:26 PM
campfire

Though the pads just...barely...will fit the 700c rims. These canti arms do not have very much adjustability. Looks like wider rims would help my pad angles a little bit. I might try that when I have the bike torn apart.
Old 05-19-23, 02:30 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by campfire
Though the pads just...barely...will fit the 700c rims. These canti arms do not have very much adjustability. Looks like wider rims would help my pad angles a little bit. I might try that when I have the bike torn apart.
Dia Compe 981s are what I use for this very reason. They have quite a bit more adjustability than other cantis.
Likes For shoota:
Old 05-19-23, 04:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
If you are building wheels sun cr18s usually are wide enough to work in those situations. I know they helped on a trek 720.
Old 05-19-23, 10:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
STI shifting with that unique stem is quite the combo!
Old 05-20-23, 01:00 AM
AlexIg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nice bike. Would love to see it restored.
Old 05-21-23, 11:03 AM
drpaddle
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts
Old 27" steel works great on RAGBRAI, and the ladies love it. (When I first started riding RAGBRAI in 1978, steel and 27" weren't old.)
Likes For drpaddle:
Old 05-22-23, 01:32 PM
campfire

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
STI shifting with that unique stem is quite the combo!
It is, and that was what drew me to this particular bike. I like brifters and someone has already put in the work to convert this bike. Skips the Shimano shifting boss issue I've read about. Win-win, eh?
Old 05-22-23, 01:36 PM
campfire

Originally Posted by drpaddle
Old 27" steel works great on RAGBRAI, and the ladies love it. (When I first started riding RAGBRAI in 1978, steel and 27" weren't old.)
Nice! I like the fenders.

I caught a few miles of RAGBRAI 2012. Not enough to really count, but I did technically ride a little piece.
Old 05-22-23, 01:56 PM
campfire

Came really close to tearing into the bike this weekend. Got derailed on Saturday when a car rear-ended our cargo bike. Wife & three (little) kids went to our local trauma center. Everyone's hurt, and it'll take a bit for the emotions to die down. Momma can't walk at this point, so I'm pretty sure she won't be medically able to join me for RAGBRAI (61 days away). My oldest kid is my main RAGBRAI training partner, and I don't know if or when she'll want to get on a bike again (also medically unable at this point). So RAGBRAI might get canceled, and this project may not get off the ground.

I'm kinda glad I don't have the bike torn halfway apart. And yet, it might be good therapy in the midst of a sucky time. Maybe?

At this point I'm not sure when I'll have the time. Depends how the healing goes for each of the four family members.

Sigh.
Old 05-23-23, 05:41 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Blast the luck. We are all hoping for fast and total recovery by all concerned. May the inattentive driver suffer water in his/her fuel and spend hours beside the road in the rain as a token penance. I hope you and your family are back on the bikes soon.
Old 05-23-23, 06:38 AM
shoota 

Oh man, really sorry to hear that.
Old 05-23-23, 06:49 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

So sorry to hear. Hope everyone heals.
Old 05-25-23, 04:03 PM
campfire

Originally Posted by Peruano
Blast the luck. We are all hoping for fast and total recovery by all concerned. May the inattentive driver suffer water in his/her fuel and spend hours beside the road in the rain as a token penance. I hope you and your family are back on the bikes soon.
Originally Posted by shoota
Oh man, really sorry to hear that.
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
So sorry to hear. Hope everyone heals.
Thanks for the kind words. The kids are healing quickly, and Mom's making progress as well.
Old 05-25-23, 04:07 PM
campfire

Today I took the most significant ride of my life. It was only 4 miles long, and the average speed was irrelevant. But the kids asked to go, and I wasn't about to hold them back.

The kids are the real stars. But I also grabbed a couple shots of the Kodiak out in its natural habitat. Seeing the world, one back road at a time...

Last edited by campfire; 05-25-23 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 11:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts
Oh gosh, what a setback. I'm glad you are charging ahead, and very glad to hear everybody is getting a little better instead of a little worse.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 05-26-23, 09:49 PM
campfire

Yes, everybody is getting better. In time they are expected to make full recoveries. Praise God!

And, yes, we're charging ahead. I tore into the BB tonight:

I misunderstood the "sealed bearings" sticker. These aren't modern sealed cartridge bearings, these are just normal cage bearings with (failed) rubber seals. Nothing new or modern here.

The rust wasn't great, but it yielded with a bit of effort.

The other side is more firmly stuck. Might need some torch heat to free that side up.

I thought this was a standard 68mm British BB, and measurements quickly confirmed this. But the 3S stamp on the spindle was a nice confirmation (https://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html).

I have ordered a new Shimano EBBUN300B27B (Square Type BB Cartridge - BSA 68MM w/ 127.5MM spindle). It's wider than the 124.5mm that the bike came with, but the new cartridge is symmetrical while the old spindle was lop-sided. This should keep the chain rings in the proper place, and the 3mm difference in the left pedal placement shouldn't make a significant difference.

Now we hurry up and wait for the parts to arrive.

Last edited by campfire; 05-26-23 at 10:22 PM.
Likes For campfire:
Old 06-02-23, 06:33 AM
campfire

I'm now back to work after the bike crash, and today was my first bike commute. In addition to being psychologically hard to get back in the saddle, it's amazing how out of shape I feel after 2 weeks of not riding. As the Raleigh is still in pieces, I rode the Crosscut this morning:

I also raced an airplane. I didn't win, but it made for interesting scenery.

Likes For campfire:
Old 06-02-23, 06:37 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

I'm now back to work after the bike crash, and today was my first bike commute. In addition to being psychologically hard to get back in the saddle, it's amazing how out of shape I feel after 2 weeks of not riding. As the Raleigh is still in pieces, I rode the Crosscut this morning:

I also raced an airplane. I didn't win, but it made for interesting scenery.

Good to see you riding. Be careful.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-02-23, 06:39 AM
campfire

Regarding the Kodiak, I tried unsuccessfully for a couple hours to remove the other bearing cup. Various wrenches wouldn't grab the flats. Heat & cryogenic temperatures didn't free it. I tried cutting it into two pieces. I eventually gave up and welded a piece of scrap steel to it. That made easy work of it (should have started with that, eh?).

It's rusty, but the threads are good.

Modern, splined cartridge so I will never need to mess with the flat wrench again:

Last edited by campfire; 06-02-23 at 06:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.