Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trying to remember an old bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 08:08 AM
bmt074

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to find pics/model of a mountain bike I bought when I was a teenager - I remember what it looked like but I don't remember the exact model and have failed in finding any info on it on the web.

It was a red Lotus mountain bike circa '90 or '91 (or at least in the vicinity). The crank wheels in the front were oval-shaped. It had really nice shifters that would click perfectly into place for each gear. Maybe due to the oval shaped crank in the front the chain would fall off frequently when shifting down (I would increase the gear and pedal like crazy to get the chain back on which almost always worked).

The bike met its end when one of the seat stems broke off right at the weld (which was a weak point on the frame) but it gave me years of service.

I figured some of you might know which bike I am talking about.
Old 08-03-09, 09:39 AM
Duce97

Bikes: Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only lotus mountain bike i can remeber were the viking and the medina sport.
Old 08-03-09, 09:48 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You might have more luck on the C&V (classic & vintage) forum than here. From the bit of google reading I did, there's a good chance the cranks were a Suntour Ovoid set of some sort - - Suntour's take on Biopace cranks.
Old 10-24-22, 08:59 PM
longhitv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts
No it was Biopace See picture.

Originally Posted by dminor
You might have more luck on the C&V (classic & vintage) forum than here. From the bit of google reading I did, there's a good chance the cranks were a Suntour Ovoid set of some sort - - Suntour's take on Biopace cranks.
Old 11-01-22, 07:26 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bmt074
I'm trying to find pics/model of a mountain bike I bought when I was a teenager - I remember what it looked like but I don't remember the exact model and have failed in finding any info on it on the web.

It was a red Lotus mountain bike circa '90 or '91 (or at least in the vicinity). The crank wheels in the front were oval-shaped. It had really nice shifters that would click perfectly into place for each gear. Maybe due to the oval shaped crank in the front the chain would fall off frequently when shifting down (I would increase the gear and pedal like crazy to get the chain back on which almost always worked).

The bike met its end when one of the seat stems broke off right at the weld (which was a weak point on the frame) but it gave me years of service.

I figured some of you might know which bike I am talking about.
Found one but I can't post a picture or url.
anyway, do a search for Lotus mountain bike 2000m and click images.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 11-01-22 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-01-22, 08:44 AM
longhitv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts
viking