Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tires for Tallahassee

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Tires for Tallahassee

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 06:24 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Tires for Tallahassee

I have been in Florida (Tallahassee) for 6 or 7 years now and am back to riding more off the road on my mountain bike after a hiatus. Tallahassee is hilly for Florida, but obviously we don't have mountains. We also have very little mud. We mostly have packed sand. My daily riding has been a mix of pavement, a little grass, a lot of packed sand, and very little mud. There are lots of root in the singletrack portions, but very few rocks. One bike has a pair of Stan's Ravens that need to be replaced soon the other has a pair of Kenda Slant Sixes that have some life left in them. Both seem to work well enough here.

The worn out Ravens are 29x2.1. Whatever i replace them with should serve well here. It would be nice if they weren't terrible if i travel somewhere with mud and rocks, but that isn't a requirement. I am willing to swap tires for travel if what I wind up with is really unsatisfactory for a trip to somewhere. I probably have some suitable mud tires around for both bikes. For sure I do for the 26" one (even a spare wheel setwith tires mounted). For the 29er I have the original wheelset with the original tires, but I don't recall what they are. I don't think they were too bad.

So, any suggestions for something that suits the terrain here? I am considering the Small Block 8, but am open to suggestions.
Old 08-29-22, 08:00 AM
Jchastainbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same issue here in Tallahassee. it’s the loose sand on the trails and forest roads that get me. The Continental Cross Kings look good, and I may switch to those at some point.
Old 08-30-22, 05:54 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
What are the largest tires you can fit? I am using Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4" tires on one of my bikes and it seems to perform well in sand (relatively well ) --

But the Ardents have a smaller tread design - probably more similar to the Slant Six, - not as fine tread as a Small Block 8 -
Old 11-12-22, 09:08 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply. I don't find I ride in that much sand here it is sandy, but most of my trails are hard packed sand. There are probably loose sand trails nearby, but not where I have been riding. I wound up buying some Kozmik Lite II Pros and they have been working out well. I may branch out to the surrounding area where I may find I need a sand tire and if so I'll have to put some on my second set of wheels.