Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Epic dump find... now what do I do with it?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Epic dump find... now what do I do with it?

Old 08-31-22, 08:09 AM
Rumbleboy21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You would have left it at the dump? The rear derailleur is worth more than $100 alone. Please let us know when and where you are dumping your vintage bikes.
Likes For Rumbleboy21:
Old 08-31-22, 08:34 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Great score!!

here’s my ‘98 F900
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 08-31-22, 11:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Rumbleboy21
You would have left it at the dump? The rear derailleur is worth more than $100 alone. Please let us know when and where you are dumping your vintage bikes.
"It's still good, it could be worth X" is how people get to be hoarders. For me this bike for "free" would be about as profitable as a "free puppy" but I am not a bike flipper.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-31-22, 12:13 PM
Rumbleboy21

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hoarders? Profitable as a free puppy? Where do I start?
Likes For Rumbleboy21:
Old 09-01-22, 12:03 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
"It's still good, it could be worth X" is how people get to be hoarders. For me this bike for "free" would be about as profitable as a "free puppy" but I am not a bike flipper.

Good grief - i saw an episode of that show (Hoarders) and youre right

That was an over-lying theme
"I cant believe they want me to throw out such and such ! It still has value ! "

---- says the guy who has waaaay too many C&V road bikes
Old 10-26-22, 01:07 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
I'm guessing that most of you folks who advocate leaving it at the dump or returning it to the dump because it's no good on the trails have forgotten how to ride a NORBA geometry bike? Just how often were you crashing "back in the day"? Or did you ever learn how to properly ride a mountain bike? I can count on one hand the number of crashes I'd had on my old 95 Kona Kilauea due to "bad geometry" and "subpar components" and still have 4 spare fingers. Sure, maybe modern geometry is better (MAYBE!) but is it so much better that it relegates this very sweet hardtail to the ranks of absolute trash? Come on folks, bikes aren't that complicated and advances in technology aren't that ground-breaking as to render anything more than 6 months old as obsolete. Regardless of what current advertising may tell you and you may mindlessly believe, 26" wheels are viable, V brakes are capable of effectively, efficiently, and controllably stopping a bike, and chromoly steel actually is a good material to build frames out of. Don't get me started on 1X drivetrains. Because a properly tuned 3X up front is such a horrible problem....

That Cannondale is sweet, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride that down any rocky, gnarly, steep, scary, impossible trail you care to put me on all day long. If I crash it, it certainly isn't because of some limitation imposed by the bike itself.
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 10-27-22, 12:03 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Yes, just leave a functional bike in the trash... it's the American way. Nobody ever had fun on a rigid 26" wheel bike with cantilevers, not once, not ever. The sport of mountain biking wasn't worth participating in until modern suspension, disc brakes, and slack geometry were offered.

A stolen pic of my first real MTB, it was a big step up from the single speed Schwinn Typhoon with Arya aluminum rims and a single massive rear side pull brake.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 10-28-22, 07:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Hoarders are not people who pick stuff up. They are the people who won’t let it go once they have it.

I have zero interest in owning the bike in question, but I would totally grab it. I’d either sell it or more likely give it away.
Old 10-30-22, 12:04 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
Yes, just leave a functional bike in the trash... it's the American way. Nobody ever had fun on a rigid 26" wheel bike with cantilevers, not once, not ever. The sport of mountain biking wasn't worth participating in until modern suspension, disc brakes, and slack geometry were offered.

A stolen pic of my first real MTB, it was a big step up from the single speed Schwinn Typhoon with Arya aluminum rims and a single massive rear side pull brake.
I would like to find one of those Ross MB's one day. Never know.

Good for the OP. They drop bikes off at my local dump that get picked up by a person who disperses them throughout south east Asia. Met him once, good guy.

You can't take anything out of my local dump, nor buy it from them either. Zip, nada.

Closest thing I have to the 2000 is this thrift find from 2020. Did have to pay $120. Seat peddles, riser, and tires brought it to $280. The seat is on the Grizzly for now....

Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-10-22, 02:48 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I would definitely do a rebuild if you plan to actually keep it. If you are looking to flip it, it is likely not worth it. On the other hand, considering the bike was free you would still get your money back, though.

Hard to say what it is worth. As a functional MTB, Its pretty weak by today's standards. For what most people actually use 90s era hardtail mtbs for these days, the shock may be of little value. OTOH, to someone who wants a sort-of-vintage bike in what looks to be fairly original period-appropriate dress, this could be worth more.

Personally, if it were me, I would likely get the shock rebuilt and see how enjoy riding it.
agreed about the headshock rebuilt, it will serve a very long time
Old 11-10-22, 02:52 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
agree - old 7 and 8 spd XT (etc) stuff works well and is very durable
they are almost indestructible. the 9 and 10 speed xtr , xt , slx and lx are also fairly durable and reliable much morethan the 11speed and12 speed XT and XTR stuff from shimano.
Old 11-16-22, 06:24 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Hoarders are not people who pick stuff up. They are the people who won’t let it go once they have it.

I have zero interest in owning the bike in question, but I would totally grab it. I’d either sell it or more likely give it away.
I'd have part it out and sold the frame/fork/bars, just because I know how the fork can be the downfall of that bike. Plus it's blue.
Old 11-17-22, 08:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95

Ross Mt. Hood. That was my first Mountain bike. Somewhere between 1985 and 1987.