Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bionx repair - where to begin?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 09:15 AM
jimh12345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

A friend has a bike with a BionX add-on system, from years back. It's become intermittent (sometimes doesn't deliver power, and may cut out on a bump) and I'm going to try and diagnose it. I have some electronics background, now I need a starting point.

First - is this a good forum in which to ask for help?

Second - I know there were many BionX systems. Where do I find the model number and other identifying information?

Third - I also know BionX is long gone. Are there any sources for schematics?

Old 10-12-22, 09:44 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bionx.ca/about-us/

​​​​​​https://www.amegoev.com/e-parts/bionx-parts/

​​​​​​https://erowbike.com/bionx

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/groups/2373073794
Old 10-12-22, 09:44 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Connection integrity? Pedal Rotation Sensor? Controller? Those are what I would start with.

You may want to ask a moderator to move your post to the e-bike forum.
Old 10-13-22, 02:01 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by jimh12345
A friend has a bike with a BionX add-on system, from years back. It's become intermittent (sometimes doesn't deliver power, and may cut out on a bump) and I'm going to try and diagnose it. I have some electronics background, now I need a starting point.

First - is this a good forum in which to ask for help?

Second - I know there were many BionX systems. Where do I find the model number and other identifying information?

Third - I also know BionX is long gone. Are there any sources for schematics?
A good friend is a e-assist installer and service person who works for a shop that used to carry Bionx systems. He's said this a few times: walk away.

When Bionx went out of business, all support stopped including access to software downloads. None of it was saved or transferred to a third party. Since the Bionx system depended on software in the drive, battery, and charging system any part of that could be corrupted and there's no way to fix or update it. Even if you have the software tools already, there's no way to tell if a given software package will work with your hardware.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 10-13-22, 03:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Old 10-13-22, 04:26 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
A good friend is a e-assist installer and service person who works for a shop that used to carry Bionx systems. He's said this a few times: walk away.

When Bionx went out of business, all support stopped including access to software downloads. None of it was saved or transferred to a third party. Since the Bionx system depended on software in the drive, battery, and charging system any part of that could be corrupted and there's no way to fix or update it. Even if you have the software tools already, there's no way to tell if a given software package will work with your hardware.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I'm hoping to find that classic intermittent connector that can be managed with contact cleaner, tie wraps, or worst case, replaced with something new - and yes that would be a challenge.

So far I've seen the system reset often on rough roads. Nothing obviously loose so I'm shock mounting the battery on some good dense foam and will see if I get lucky with that.
Old 10-13-22, 05:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
One reason why shops will pass on some service jobs is that if things go bad they will "own" the results. As in the customer blames the shop and can expect the shop to make the customer's "loss" good with either a working bike or a payout. I hope that friend is more understanding than some I have dealt with. Andy
Old 10-13-22, 05:59 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One reason why shops will pass on some service jobs is that if things go bad they will "own" the results. As in the customer blames the shop and can expect the shop to make the customer's "loss" good with either a working bike or a payout. I hope that friend is more understanding than some I have dealt with. Andy
Yes I am all too familiar with that dynamic. I was very clear that all I'm going to do is try and find the problem. Little to lose at this point because the intermittency has caused him to stop using the bike.
Likes For jimh12345:
Old 10-14-22, 09:04 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
You might call ebikesca (Grin) in Canada. They have worked on the BionX system pretty extensively, and may be of assistance. Their owner, Justin, is brilliant (IMO).
Old 10-15-22, 10:10 AM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This system has the RC3 controller and DS3 display. If I see the DS3 spontaneously reboot, does that necessarily mean the RC3 rebooted as well?