Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shock-absorbing Stoker Seatpost?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 10-28-22, 11:07 PM
TDHudson

Bikes: Trek T900 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Can I get a recommendation for a very good shock-absorbing seatpost for my long-suffering Stoker/wife on our Trek T900? We ride on the Ozaukee Interurban Trail in Wisconsin and it has some completely heinous cracks and rough spots -- despite my trying to avoid them, she takes some real abuse back there from the shocks. Today she was getting some serious back strain from it.

We're approaching 7800 miles on the bike now, and I want it to be fun for her going forward. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-22, 08:10 AM
Bellman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Many of our customers prefer the Kinekt seatpost. Also, keep in mind the added comfort that can come from high volume, low pressure tires. Good luck!
Likes For Bellman:
Old 10-29-22, 12:07 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
My stoker got a long travel version of the Thudbuster years ago, and she will not consider anything else now because of the long travel, inherent damping of the elastomers, and constant seat to pedal distance.
Old 10-29-22, 08:35 PM
TDHudson

Bikes: Trek T900 Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the tips -- I'll report back on how it turns out.
-Tom
Old 10-30-22, 07:02 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Bellman
Many of our customers prefer the Kinekt seatpost. Also, keep in mind the added comfort that can come from high volume, low pressure tires. Good luck!
Tires don't get anymore high volume, or lower pressure than the OEM tires on the T900. This can get sensitive, so what follows is very much individual and FWIW but ... suspension posts will reduce the power that can be input into the bike. Stokers especially, do not usually have much extra power to waste heating up the elastomer of a suspension post. The OEM seats on the T900 are awful but should provide more than adequate cushioning. I am lucky that the only thing my Stoker wants from a saddle is that it has a notch at the back for her tailbone to settle into! It can be hard, soft, cutout, no cut out, anything I put back there will work for her as long as the back is notched. I would first try dropping the tire pressures down to 40psi or even lower. We run them as low as 25psi which is when the front end starts to get sloppy. Again, sensitive, I just report the facts. I don't make them. In the o.p.'s situation I would be looking at core (abdominal work) for the back issues. Planks do work for that. We do no less than a two minute Plank every morning (we skip weekends ... sometimes) and regularly do 4 minute Planks in addition to the ab machine work we do 3x/wk at the Gym.
Old 10-30-22, 06:43 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Tires don't get anymore high volume, or lower pressure than the OEM tires on the T900. .
Our T900 came with 26 X 1.75 Bontragers, other years may have spec'd different tires. I just replaced them today with 26 X 2.0 Schwalbe Marathons and there is a noticeable difference in both ride and perceived pedaling effort. The bike rides smoother and feels like it rolls much easier. Of course I have to consider the fact that the Bontragers were old, hard and age cracked soo.... but higher volume tires are available.

We also have a Raleigh Comapanion I put together for the local rails to trails and a local canal tow path that are mostly gravel, patches of dirt and sand and occasionally chip and oil. I put 26 X 2.3 Kenda Small Block 8 tires on it and while they do have a bit more rolling resistance over the Schwalbes on pavement (although not bad considering the aggressive tread) they have an even smoother ride due to the large volume. They fit the Raleigh frame but clearance at the back of FD cage is tight. By visual comparison I believe they will fit the T900 as well. Kenda makes their Kwest line in a 26 X 1.9 that is nearly as wide as most 2.125's but I don't know how well they would hold up on a tandem. I have them on a vintage MTB turned townie and they handle and ride great.

Old 10-30-22, 11:14 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Our T900 came with 26 X 1.75 Bontragers, other years may have spec'd different tires. I just replaced them today with 26 X 2.0 Schwalbe Marathons and there is a noticeable difference in both ride and perceived pedaling effort. The bike rides smoother and feels like it rolls much easier.
Nice. Our T900 (2015? Last year they made them) came new with Bontrager 2.0" which I didn't trust and the store wouldn't do take-off's so I ordered a pair of Schwalbe 'Big Apple' 2.0 to do my own swap. To this day the Schwalbes sit in the garage unmounted! The Bonties have been amazing. Four straight years without a single flat and we are on that bike every single day commuting through downtown Portland, OR with shopping and errands on the weekends. Flatted in the 5th year and I thought they were done. Nope. Not yet apparently. One additional flat since then. I haven't had any reason to consider bigger than 2.0. I have 2.4 on a cargo bike but I doubt the T900 could go any bigger than 2.0 and still mount fenders. We've got to have fenders. YMMV. Funny enough, one of our other tandems is a Raleigh Coupe (2005) which was the 700C flatbar (converted to drops 2007) road companion to the Companion in those days.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-30-22, 11:15 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
The Thudbuster seatpost has been THE CHOICE of suspension seatposts for tandem enthusiasts for decades. It comes with variable density elastomers to meet most stoker needs. I can't imagine your stoker wouldn't do well with this. If that fails, then perhaps the only solution for you would be a full suspension tandem. This would achieve the best impact attenuation she could achieve. Less unsuspended mass means the rear wheel can bounce in and out of potholes, up and over bumps and rocks with the most ease, allowing the rest of the bike and rider to be "insulated" from the impacts of the rough road surface. And this explains why the vast majority of mountain bikers today ride full suspension. It's so well designed and implemented that it's now the standard. Yes, it's overkill for "casual" tandem use, but if it's as bad for your stoker as your post indicates, then you may want to consider it.
Old 11-13-22, 11:57 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
We have gone through multiple shock posts including Tamer, Thudbuster but the Kinekt has been the best.