Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking at a Kona Dew...What else should I be looking at?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 03:20 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys...and gals,

Been a while since I have been around here, but I am planning on getting back on the bike commute within the next couple of weeks.

I am also planning on doing so on a new bike. I have been looking hard at the Kona Dew which seems to be just about perfect for what I am looking for and right in the price point I am looking to spend.

My only question is, are there other bikes out there I should be considering that are similar in setup and price?

Thanks in advance and stay safe out there.
Old 03-04-08, 04:09 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you like about the Dew? I'm looking at getting a new commuter too, but I'm not into a skinny-tire bike with a flat bar. Just personal preference. I'm looking at either a ~35mm tire cross bike (like Jake) or a wider-tire bike with a front suspension (thinking about either the Kona Cinder Cone or the Fisher Kaitai/Montare. The Fisher bike looks like a good compromise of rough road commuting and trail, since it has a 63mm travel with lockout, and 700C wheels that come with 38mm tires with room for fenders from the look of things.
Old 03-04-08, 05:29 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been commuted on old mountain bikes last year and wanted something faster when I finally broke down and bought a new bike for the commute.

I thought the combo of 700c wheels on with no suspension fork would be a nice middle ground allowing a nicer roll over bumps and potholes, but cutting away the weight of a suspension fork. I never really cared for the suspension fork on pavement. Not that it was a big deal, but it didn't seem to really have much of an effect on softening harsh pavement over my straight fork bikes.

I also still like the feel of a mountain bike frame especially for commuting.

It really does seem the Dew is the perfect bike for me. I was just wondering if there was another one out there somewhere that was similar that I should being taking a look at.
Old 03-04-08, 05:40 PM
M_S

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Coda line or the Trek FX and Soho series. Specilized Sirrius. Most manufacturers have bikes that are roughly similar.
Old 03-04-08, 05:45 PM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same reasons you list for considering the Dew are the same I had when I bought my Kona. Since I now ride almost exclusively on asphalt I don't miss having a front fork at all. The Dew is a good choice and it's well equipped for that price range. You should find your rides comfortable and quicker.

Last edited by ilmooz; 03-04-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 06:15 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That entire line of asphalt bikes from Kona are pretty appealing to me. The Dew is a great buy I would say.
Old 03-04-08, 06:27 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deputyjones
My only question is, are there other bikes out there I should be considering that are similar in setup and price?
Every manufacturer out there has a whole lineup of hybrids. Just pick one... it really doesn't matter.
Old 03-04-08, 06:33 PM
alentric

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently was in the same market as you and same price range..
I tried the Dew and the Trek FX 7.3
but I bought the Specialized Sirrus
I seemed lighter and faster on the Sirrus
and knew it as soon as I started pedaling
Old 03-04-08, 06:35 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ilmooz
Since I ride almost exclusively on asphalt I don't miss having a front fork at all.
Old 03-04-08, 06:37 PM
Dr. DRE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lowest model Cannondale Road Warrior has what looks very much like a mountain frame. I have a RW 400 from last year (this year they have new models) and it's quite nice. I replaced an Adventure 600 that I thought was too cushy (Headshok fork, etc., big wide saddle) and upright, The Road Warrior is a nice compromise and I got a good deal on it.

Wanted to look at the Dew but the nearest Kona dealer is more than 100 miles away.
Old 03-04-08, 06:57 PM
darkfinger
That's disgusting!

Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR, Frankenbike Mtn. bike that I built to my own spec., 1987 Peugot PB 16 fixed gear conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
Hahahahahahahahaha
awesome.
Old 03-04-08, 07:16 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Every manufacturer out there has a whole lineup of hybrids. Just pick one... it really doesn't matter.
lol, spoken like a true bib-clad roadie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I appreciate it. Even if it just goes to confirm that the Dew is the bike for me.
Old 03-05-08, 02:41 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
True dat. If my Point Reyes,Dew Deluxe,and Big Buzz weren't different colors,I'd never be able to keep them straight.

OP,if you like MTB's,you'll like Dews. Think of them as rigid MTB's w/700cc wheels.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-05-08, 02:58 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If frame material means anything, the Dew is aluminum and the Jamis Coda is steel. Have you thought about bar ends or mtb drops for extra hand positions and getting lower in headwinds?

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-05-08, 05:33 PM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a lot of rotten weather (or just like going out to play in the rain), a hub generator and/or internal gears could come in real handy. The Jamis Commuter 3 comes with internal gears, as do several other commuter focused bikes. I kind of like getting rained on, so internal gears really appeal to me. Finding a bike with a hub generator is a bit harder, but there are some out there. Breezers and REI's commuter bikes seem to be the easiest ones to find for test rides.

If you want a bike that can handle groceries as well as commuting, look for one that can take a front rack or front basket. For heavier loads, balancing the weight can really help.
Old 03-05-08, 08:46 PM
lns55

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy - fixed / Kona Smoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Dew is a really great bike. I have a Kona Smoke and if I had it to do over I would have gotten the Dew. It has 700 wheels a light frame and higher gears. I've been commuting here in Cleveland for the past year and the weather don't get much lousier than this- snow, rain- and I haven't had a single mechanical problem with my Kona. They make an excellent product. Go with the Dew you'll never regret it.
Old 03-05-08, 10:33 PM
Bdaisies
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike or the Smoke is on my wishlist, if I were able to afford to buy a new bike this year.
Old 03-05-08, 10:55 PM
Pete Clark
It's in my blood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been commuted on old mountain bikes last year and wanted something faster when I finally broke down and bought a new bike for the commute.

I thought the combo of 700c wheels on with no suspension fork would be a nice middle ground allowing a nicer roll over bumps and potholes, but cutting away the weight of a suspension fork. I never really cared for the suspension fork on pavement. Not that it was a big deal, but it didn't seem to really have much of an effect on softening harsh pavement over my straight fork bikes.

It really does seem the Dew is the perfect bike for me. I was just wondering if there was another one out there somewhere that was similar that I should being taking a look at.
I'm not much for the flat bar, but I swapped my Trek 7.3 FX flat bar with a "trekking bar." Been very happy, and didn't have to spend an extra $300 - $500 for a touring bike. Carries the load very well, great for commuting.

Check the geometry, see if you like it. Sort of resembles an MTB/road cross without going the comfort/hybrid route. Test ride, of course.

I like the stiff fork, and the tires are about right for a combination of speed and comfort at 700 x 35.

I'm getting a Brooks B-17 saddle this weekend...
Old 03-05-08, 10:58 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey guys...and gals,

Been a while since I have been around here, but I am planning on getting back on the bike commute within the next couple of weeks.

I am also planning on doing so on a new bike. I have been looking hard at the Kona Dew which seems to be just about perfect for what I am looking for and right in the price point I am looking to spend.

Thanks in advance and stay safe out there.
Hey, welcome back, DJ.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 03-05-08, 11:00 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
If frame material means anything, the Dew is aluminum and the Jamis Coda is steel. Have you thought about bar ends or mtb drops for extra hand positions and getting lower in headwinds?
Frame material is somewhat important to me and that is why I chose the Dew over the Smoke 2-9 which is about $50 cheaper.

I actually have a set of those funny Scott handlebars that wrap around like bar ends. I have been really happy with it both because of the extra positions and because it is designed for tape which I find much more comfortable than grips.
Old 03-05-08, 11:01 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Hey, welcome back, DJ.
well thanks....how's Portland?
Old 03-05-08, 11:40 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
well thanks....how's Portland?
Bikes seem to be reproducing around here at a dizzying rate. <scratches head>

"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 10-03-22, 01:32 PM
Blessed UC

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have a look at the Marin Kentfield! But I do like the Kona Dew lineup myself. Especially the steel Dr.Dew
Old 10-07-22, 12:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Blessed UC
Have a look at the Marin Kentfield! But I do like the Kona Dew lineup myself. Especially the steel Dr.Dew
I was once severely tempted by a Dew, but I was strong. BTW this thread is from 2008; he probably got the Dew.
Old 10-07-22, 12:51 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
I love my Kona Dew. The frame geometry makes it very comfortable to ride. Its easy to upgrade as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.