Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Riding the road down from Brenner Pass toward Innsbruck

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-23, 09:08 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts

I'm planning a loop trip in Italy, starting/ending in Trento, riding up to Innsbruck via the Brenner Pass, down the Inn Valley to Lake Como and then back to Trento.

From the research I've done, there is a bike path all the way up on the Italian Side of the pass (the way up). But, once at the pass, there is 6 miles of narrow, 2-lane road that lots of people miss by taking the train down (there is a station at the pass). While I have no qualms about taking a train, I would like to ride down the pass, if it is safe to do so.

Has anyone done that ride? If so, is it safe? If this ride happens, it will be in early September.
Old 01-21-23, 08:35 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
I'm planning a loop trip in Italy, starting/ending in Trento, riding up to Innsbruck via the Brenner Pass, down the Inn Valley to Lake Como and then back to Trento.

From the research I've done, there is a bike path all the way up on the Italian Side of the pass (the way up). But, once at the pass, there is 6 miles of narrow, 2-lane road that lots of people miss by taking the train down (there is a station at the pass). While I have no qualms about taking a train, I would like to ride down the pass, if it is safe to do so.

Has anyone done that ride? If so, is it safe? If this ride happens, it will be in early September.
I did that, also in later September, a few years ago.
Safety is a subjective term but I'd have no problem recommending it to any competent rider.
However, I recall hearing of q bike path and CycleTravel appears to show a dedicated bine path after about 5 km

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/390938