Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Geometry Difference Kona Sutra vs Sutra LTD

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 11:57 PM
riding4life162

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Howdy everyone, I am currently in the market for a new adventure bike, and the Kona sutra and sutra LTD have caught my eye. I am more of a hobbyist cyclist, and have a very basic understanding of the geometry charts which is not enough to fully decipher the code. My question is are the geometries the same for these two bikes. When comparing the chart side-by-side, they are different, but I don't know if that is due to different fork length, tire/wheel, size, ect or if these are just two completely different frames. I'd be grateful if someone would be able to help me out in this matter. Thanks. Below Ill link the exact bikes I'm looking at from the Kona world site. Thanks.

Sutra: https://konaworld.com/sutra.cfm
Sutra LTD: ​​​​​​https://konaworld.com/sutra_ltd.cfm
Old 01-31-23, 04:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Same chainstay length.
BB drop is nearly the same, so the feeling of riding 'in' the bike rather than 'atop' the bike will be nearly the same.
In the largest frame size, the stack to reach ratio is nearly identical.
In the largest frame size and using a 45mm tire, the bikes have nearly the same trail number, even though head tube angles and fork rakes are different. The bikes will tend to want to track straight. The bikes will not have a tight turning radius. The front end of both bikes will want to 'dive' into slow speed turns- this is called 'flop'.

The LTD is definitely more MTB based as it has an even more relaxed head tube angle, it has a long front center measurement, and it is designed around a larger tire(based on stock equipment).
Whats odd is that Kona calls the fork on both bikes the same thing, yet they have different offset(rake) measurements AND different Axle to Crown lenghts.

If you want a more traditional road touring bike that is still plenty capable on gravel and hardpack dirt- go Sutra. It has a wider overall gear range too- both high and low.
If you want a really wide tire drop bar touring bike that is more at home on singletrack and spends most of its time off pavement or engineered roads, go Sutra LTD. Its designed for wider tires and has a simple 1x drivetrain.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-08-23, 01:21 PM
riding4life162

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank, I went ahead and ordered a 2022 Sutra LTD, all of the 2023's were already sold in my local area. hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.
Likes For riding4life162: