Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Daughter Talking Me Into a Spin Class

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Daughter Talking Me Into a Spin Class

Old 01-29-23, 08:24 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Once I realized I could do/not do anything I wanted in a spin class, they were wonderful. If you just want to sit in the back, ride tempo, never stand or do anything silly, you can. If you want to sit in the front row (preferably farthest bike away from the instructor) watch yourself in the mirror (if they have them) and destroy yourself (like I would do) you can. I found off season spin classes combined with yogalates and some strength training improved my riding beyond anything else I could do otherwise. Many times when I rode with my buddies on the weekend I'd tell them that I left my best ride of the week in a pool of sweat on the floor of the spin room at Princeton Health and Fitness. They used the great Keiser spin bikes and after we moved from NJ, I bought one for our home gym. If it was a smart bike, I'd still be using it.
Likes For Terex:
Old 01-30-23, 07:26 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
They used the great Keiser spin bikes and after we moved from NJ, I bought one for our home gym.
Keiser's are indeed great spin bikes.
Old 01-30-23, 07:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Somewhat related story from this weekend. I had a "gentle yoga" class on Saturday and an 8 mile training run for an upcoming 1/2 marathon yesterday. After the run yesterday, I walked in the house and told my wife, "I feel better after the run than when I came out of the yoga class." I didn't even break much of a sweat in the yoga class, but came out feeling like I'd been in a wrestling match.
Old 02-01-23, 11:05 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
So my daughter works part-time at our YMCA. She's been nagging me to try a spin class and I met the instructor last night. I'm going to give it a try next week.

Looking for advice. I guess wear my padded bike shorts and my 5 10 stiff soled shoes. Most of my trail rides are 15 to 20 miles. Not sure what this whole spin thing is going to be like. They apparently have a big screen monitor with a video of roads from somewhere. I dunno. I'm pretty laid back when I ride - I like to ride solo and do whatever I want while on the bike. If I see a vista I want to look at or photo, I do it. I'm concerned I'm going to look bad.

My primary reason for doing it is because I told my kid "I'll do it if you will." I think the exercise will help her ADHD and get her moving. I'll post more afterward.
I know I am late to the game here, but thought I would just add my 2 cents. I have been spinning, during the winter for about 7 years now. I am a road rider that averages about 100 miles per week when the weather permits. I am now turning 67 too in about 3 weeks.

Spin class very dependent upon some variables. One, the Instructor. Most, if not all of my instructors are not riders, but just spin instructors. Given that, they do not have the knowledge of a typical road rider like seat position, HR, wattage and importantly, recovery necessity. So, if you get a normal instructor, get ready to be bummed out a bit as most of them are more concerned with jumping around on the bike than actual form and pedaling stroke etc. All my experience has been at several Y's in my area, so the lack of knowledge is critical.

Secondly, bike fit. Can't tell you how many I have seen over the years with poor bike fit on the spin bike which in turn can lead to a more painful event. Since I am a road rider, I try and mirror my position on the spin bike as closely as I can to my road bike. And yes, I have taken in the tape measure to figure out my position. I ride the Keiser bike which to me, comes really close in pedal feel to my road bike.

Thirdly, the classes are basically as hard as YOU want to make them. You are in control of the resistance. Personally, I hate the data board but others love it as they want to come in first or see how they are doing against the others. Personally, I know for a fact that all the bikes are not calibrated the same as I have ridden many of them at the exact gear and cadence and gotten way different numbers. So, I take the boards data with a grain of salt.

Fourthly, the music. Again, if you have a 20 something instructor, the music generally reflects their tastes. One of my instructors was lamenting that they were turning 40 something and were going to play music from 1971. After class I had to console them with the information that I was in HS in 1971 so don't feel to bad that you were old being born in 1971! Egads. So, the music can make up for a bad instructor or the music and be a real turnoff.

Since my instructors have no idea about road riding, I just usually just try to work on things in my own way. I can also relate to those that say that I get blown away in class but very few of these people could keep up out on the road. In fact, I usually joke around that after a 45 minute class when everyone is blown up, I just say, well, that is rest stop #1 for a metric century ride. They then just look at me kind of funny. I have done a century with 11k of climbing that put me in the saddle for 8 hours. None of these spinners could ever last that long.

Basically, it kills the time until the weather breaks and keeps my legs moving so I stay in some sort of shape. Main thing, have some fun.

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 02-01-23, 11:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
rutan74 basically nailed it. Spinning isn’t cycling, it’s an aerobics class that uses equipment that resembles a bike. You can use a spin class to approximate a cycling workout, but as rutan74 mentioned, most spinning instructors are not cyclists and don’t teach the class as a cycling training. That said, it’s a good way to keep the legs moving and can be an enjoyable group workout for what it is.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-01-23, 03:05 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
rutan74 basically nailed it. Spinning isn’t cycling, it’s an aerobics class that uses equipment that resembles a bike. You can use a spin class to approximate a cycling workout, but as rutan74 mentioned, most spinning instructors are not cyclists and don’t teach the class as a cycling training. That said, it’s a good way to keep the legs moving and can be an enjoyable group workout for what it is.
The best spinning instructors are not cyclists. They're aerobics instructors, who gently or otherwise, push things, encouraged by the inspired (maybe) music and party atmosphere, grunts and squeaks that emenate into a whole pile of fun.
There's no real pressure on anyone although from time to time the instructor will dismount her bike and move amongst us, advising where necessary.
Like being back at school. In the 60s.
Most in the place are over 40 including the instructors.
I can't fault any of them, but Covid killed it . It's not the same now; new instructors, sometimes none. I hardly recognise the crowd from one day to the next.
The music's evolved too.
There are however, many who are well into their 70s, and amongst the best performers. I struggle a little these days (too busy doing other stuff) but Spin has one marvellous advantage over a road run. It is this, and applies particularly to me.
You don't crash a spin bike.
Likes For peterws:
Old 02-09-23, 07:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,450 Times in 1,823 Posts
Not sure what this whole spin thing is going to be like. They apparently have a big screen monitor with a video of roads from somewhere. I dunno. I'm pretty laid back when I ride - I like to ride solo and do whatever I want while on the bike. If I see a vista I want to look at or photo, I do it.
If it is just a riding video, great. I have been to a bunch where they played music, but lately this really obnoxious techno music is the rage---140 bpm to get you to spin that fast----and it is just really unpleasant to me. Another thing is that sometimes the instructor will yell like a drill sergeant, and I don't need anyone yelling at me Ever. I will ride my pace and helical interface fastener you and your yelling.
I'm concerned I'm going to look bad.
I am lucky here ... i am fat, awkward, old, and ugly so I Always look bad.

I get it ... you might want to sit up and relax, and everyone else is killing themselves, and you don't need some instructor telling you how lazy you are .... you want to live life at what You feel is the right pace.

Just Do It.

pedal or not, push or not ... who cares how you "look" to others? They all see something different anyway.

If you go hard they will be jealous and resentful that you are outperforming them, if you go slowly they will be critical and resentful that you aren't trying ... as if it had anything to do with them.

In my experience there is not a lot of overlap between spinning and rising a bike. usually the load on the wheel is low and the revs really high, for whatever reason .... i used to turn the tension up and go slower because I wanted to build strength, and then spin so I could repair my damaged heart .... I am sure I was never quick enough, and when I was pushing big loads, not trying hard enough .... but I wasn't there for everyone else anyway.

My primary reason for doing it is because I told my kid "I'll do it if you will." I think the exercise will help her ADHD and get her moving. I'll post more afterward.
It didn't seem to help my ADHD.
Old 02-09-23, 09:38 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It didn't seem to help my ADHD.
There was an article in Bicycling some years ago about how aerobic exercise can help ADHD. Riding is My Ritalin from Bicycling Magazine

Hope springs eternal when a neurotypical parent tries anything with an ADHD kid!
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 02-09-23, 10:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

There was an article in Bicycling some years ago about how aerobic exercise can help ADHD. Riding is My Ritalin from Bicycling Magazine

Hope springs eternal when a neurotypical parent tries anything with an ADHD kid!
I am going to share that with a friend .... thanks very much.
Old 02-12-23, 05:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Those who do spin classes AND ride bikes tend to be the fastest. They are not mutually exclusive fitness activities.

A lot of people who do spin classes are not interested in cycling. So they don’t care whether or not a cyclist could beat them on an 8 hour endurance plodfest.
Old 02-12-23, 06:07 AM
Maelochs

Right .... spin has as much to do with cycling ... less perhaps, than using a rowing machine has to do with rowing in a regatta. At least, as I have sen it taught.

I see no reason a person couldn't use the tension knob to create (minus wind resistance) riding conditions similar to road-riding. In fact, i think Peloton and a couple of those big-e-company bikes can do that .... you can pick a real-life route and the tension will auto-adjust for hills and descents and flats.

After all, the difference between a spin bike and a bike on the trainer is only that a spin bike won't eat up rear tires.