Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tektro Axis 1.0, brake upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 09:07 AM
papaki72

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport Sora (now), Whistle Modod Flatbar (retired)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts

I have a pair of Tektro Axis 1.0 caliper brakes and I would like to upgrade them. My main issue with them is that they need quite some force to brake and my hands go numb some times when commuting through high traffic in the city. What would you suggest as a worthy upgrade of them? Would a set of dual pivot caliper brakes make some difference? Should I just change the pads?
Old 02-05-23, 09:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have a pair of Tektro R539 dual pivot brakes and they also required an absurd amount of hand pressure due to excessively strong return springs. I managed to "soften" them up somewhat by bending the return springs but they are still quite stiff and they now reside in my parts box. New pads (Kool Stop Salmons) didn't help enough either. I have older Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace DP brakes on two bikes and they are vastly better.

So yes, DP brakes and good pads will greatly improve your braking but I'd avoid Tektros for the reasons above.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-05-23, 10:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Brakes are a very simple system of levers, pivots, cables and pads. The last part I would change are the calipers and levers. Cable, pad and rim brake tracks are the most variable, wear prone, parts and need attention/replacement periodically.

Have you replaced the pads with good after market ones? Like Kool Stops? Have you lightly cleaned and sanded the rim brake tracks? Are the cables freely moving through their casings? If you disconnect the cable from the caliper how freely does the caliper arms pivot?

Only if the caliper pivots are hindering the caliper's movement would I consider them to be in need of service (take apart, clean, lube) or replacement.

The images I saw of your brake model, after googling for them (thanks for that link), show they are already a dual pivot design. So going to another dual pivot caliper is not likely to see much leverage differences. Do know that Shimano has changed where the leverage is gained between their levers and their calipers over the years. So if you picked the wrong calipers one could end up with less leverage (if the matching levers were not also used).

I suggest working with the pads first, making sure the cables and calipers are free moving and see if that helps enough before spending more $. Andy
Old 02-05-23, 03:23 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Another possible issue is with excess cable housing length. See Sheldon Brown's article on cable routing.
Old 02-05-23, 05:44 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
My Dura Ace 7700 brakes with 7402 levers, stock pads, Aican compressionless housing and Aligator 31 cables allow 1-finger operation of the brakes.
Old 02-05-23, 06:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
What our great bicycle industry does a poor job of is to address the needs of the fringe, the small, the old, the less than athletic. The big three component companies do really well for the middle 80% but what would one expect in a profit driven world. Andy
Old 02-15-23, 02:04 AM
papaki72

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport Sora (now), Whistle Modod Flatbar (retired)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Sorry for replying to this with such a delay. I thought of trying what I have been advised and then say something.
First thing I did was sand the rubber pads of the brakes and clean the rims. It did improve things by a bit. Bought new pads (koolstop) and it improved things by quite a bit. I also replaced the cables and their housing and it even improved braking more. Now, I do not have to apply excessive force to stop and I do not get back after a ride with callouses in my hands from braking in traffic. @AndrewRStewart, Indeed, my brakes are dual pivot brakes. I owe you a big one. You saved me from buying another pair of dual pivot brakes for nothing. Thank you!
Likes For papaki72: