Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reluctantly Selling

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Reluctantly Selling

Old 02-02-23, 09:41 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Things I say to myself

Experiences over things.
Don't leave my kids to deal with all my crap.
Possessions weigh me down.

Next time I move, I'm moving with one suitcase. That's the dream, anyway.
worked with a guy who, because of his parent’s work, had to move a lot. He got tired of packing the same stuff over and over, only to pack it up in a few months or a year. Finally, he just started throwing things in boxes before each move. No labels as to contents. When he got to the new house, if he was looking for say, a particular book, he’d open boxes until he found it. He’d repeat this for other items. After a few months, any boxes that remained unopened were dumped. He said this process saved him from having to decide which things he wanted just because and which things he actually used.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 02-02-23, 10:06 AM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 71 Witcomb, 76 Masi, 77 C Laing, 80 Jack Taylor, 78 Ritchey, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 126 Posts
"Because of this, I have a question, how do you usually cope with this and not let your emotions keep you from holding on to your possessions?"

Care less, move on. Works for me anyway.

Guy
Old 02-02-23, 02:25 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
I am a collector by nature. The problem with bicycles, is that that take up a lot of space.

They are bulky, and maintaining the perishables, such as tires, has limited my "useable collection" to a mere 5 bicycles that I actually ride.

Hoarding isn't the correct term, as the implication is mental illness, but some of us are definitely constructing wings with a wax binder.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 02-02-23, 03:30 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I had stripped a bike that started with me as a frame to sell the frame. After a month on CL, I just built it back up. Man, it rides too nicely to sell. I think I'll raise the price.
Old 02-02-23, 07:58 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I try to tell myself that's the cost of a hobby.
As hobbies go it’s not that expensive, having a boat, a 4WD, any enthusiast car, all way worse money pits.
Old 02-02-23, 08:20 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Next time I move, I'm moving with one suitcase. That's the dream, anyway.
You mean two pannier bags, surely?

As for the OP question. Thankfully, I have almost nothing of value. Even bicycles I ride, despite all the time and effort I put into restoring them, wouldn't sell for prices decent enough to pay for the time spent on paint stripping, painting, cleaning components, polishing them, adjusting them, taking apart to regrease and putting back together... But despite that, I'm slowly preparing myself to sell my Grand Sprint. I have limited space to store bicycles and I'm planning another build, so something has to go. As much as I might like riding it.
As for selling parts, there are just a few I wouldn't want to part with. This includes stuff that has been top of the line back in the day or stuff that's exotic and might become more difficult to obtain in the future. Things like French headsets, Swiss threaded bottom brackets, 6/7 speed Suntour freewheels and such.
Old 02-02-23, 08:35 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
As hobbies go it’s not that expensive, having a boat, a 4WD, any enthusiast car, all way worse money pits.
I have waaay too many old bicycles and parts but only several too many old cars and parts and no clear plan of how I will part with them. They are old but kept in good riding or driving condition. I’ve owned some for more than 35 years and I will find it hard to part with them. Yes, the old car hobby is far more expensive than old bikes.
Old 02-02-23, 08:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://milwaukeerecreation.net/rec/...ike-Bazaar.htm
Old 02-02-23, 09:07 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
I got to learn a lot about my dad by going through and moving on his stuff. Every time I sell some of my bikes my son seems to know what's missing. The good thing about bikes is they have some scrap metal value. Just keep your pile in the quality range.
Old 02-02-23, 09:47 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I just reluctantly raised the price on the bikes I’m selling — that should take care of it.
Old 02-03-23, 01:34 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I am currently living in Cambodia and the plan is to leave some time next year, late Feb or Mar.
I have built up and given away about 40 bikes over the years. Mostly recycled step thrus from Japan or modified hybrids.
I have cleaned out most of the iron take off junk and most of the rusty scrap.
Now to get the keeper parts and bikes back to Pennsylvania.

Old 02-03-23, 06:04 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
I'm more and more cognizant of having 100 years of projects stacked up and maybe 30 years to work with. There are things to do besides curate a museum of junk.

A big part of the the bike overload is how I've some how created a very low effort conduit that brings in free and cheap bikes, with out having a low effort conduit to pass them along.

​​​​So it's looks like I'm going to running a chopshop for the foreseeable future.

Its tough though.

Theres a 24" Fiji touring iii that is in my work space. Its too big for me. I can squirrel it away in the attic...
Old 02-03-23, 08:22 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
good point.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 02-03-23, 10:11 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Writenride

But I'm afraid I've:
1. Ran out of room.
2. Don't ride as much as I used to (but plan on changing that this season [fingers crossed].
3. Time to move on and do something else.
None of these are a good reason to sell everything.
Likes For shoota:
Old 02-05-23, 05:09 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Yes, I’ll be selling here. Got two tables all set up and about 6-7 bikes to sell, along with some higher and lower end parts. More higher end though.

I’m convinced I attempted to single handily support my local bike stores in and around the area, including anonymous vendors on eBay. It’s way easier finding parts now than it used to be paging through the phone books. But online buying is also, sadly, addictive. I’m getting help now.
Old 02-05-23, 05:34 PM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
But online buying is also, sadly, addictive. I’m getting help now.
Speaking of addictions, you are a high rolling buyer now, but on the flipside, you could now become a high rolling seller too. ;-)
Likes For reroll:
Old 02-05-23, 06:03 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I am currently living in Cambodia and the plan is to leave some time next year, late Feb or Mar.
I have built up and given away about 40 bikes over the years. Mostly recycled step thrus from Japan or modified hybrids.
I have cleaned out most of the iron take off junk and most of the rusty scrap.
Now to get the keeper parts and bikes back to Pennsylvania.

Sure looks like a lot of Microfiber™️. Reminds me of what I got, but I use old shower curtains. I suppose you uncovered plenty of hidden treasures in Cambodia, huh?
Old 02-05-23, 06:05 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Originally Posted by reroll
Speaking of addictions, you are a high rolling buyer now, but on the flipside, you could now become a high rolling seller too. ;-)
I wish. I dealt with plenty of sharks in my previous life. I was never one of them. Honestly, everyone needs two individual sets of income; one for work and to pay the bills, and another for fun. Bikes were always, always for fun.
Likes For Writenride:
Old 02-05-23, 06:17 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
I'm at the point I think I could easily let some go but tall framed vintage bikes don't sell very well around here. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 02-05-23, 07:26 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
A few years back I faced:

1. Ran out of room.
2. Don't ride as much as I used to (but plan on changing that this season [fingers crossed].

So we set about to locate a considerably larger place and one which is more conducive to working on bikes, storing bikes, displaying bikes and riding bikes. Problem mostly solved, as I still don't ride as much as I'd like to.

Of course, the above - while true - is largely said tongue in cheek. In the future I can definitely see myself much less concerned with acquisition, and at some point doing some downsizing. No one answer works for everyone. Puttering around with projects has been a good hobby that helps keep me occupied during the winter months, but at some point, I can see myself moving on to woodworking or ceramics or drawing or painting or leatherworking or... and limiting my wrenching to legitimate repairs and the odd thing that just lands in my lap. Everyone has their own interests, limitations and aspirations. I wish you success in sorting out what yours are (or will be).
Old 02-05-23, 07:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
In the last week, I acquired three complete bikes and one frame, all with the intent of fixing them up over the winter and giving them away come spring. It’ll satisfy my need to putter and to reward myself after some particularly odious work-related task.
Old 02-05-23, 08:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
The Four Noble Truths

1. Existing is suffering.
2. Suffering is caused by craving, attachment.
3. Suffering may be contained by a letting go.
4. Follow the Eightfold Path.
Old 02-06-23, 04:54 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Sure looks like a lot of Microfiber™️. Reminds me of what I got, but I use old shower curtains. I suppose you uncovered plenty of hidden treasures in Cambodia, huh?
Yes, the preschool my wife works with here changes the towels often, so I get them.
The only real treasure was a messed up Zunow that ended up looking real good.
Old 02-06-23, 03:04 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
If you think that you have accumulated too much stuff and need to get rid of it, you have reached a point of existence where posessions mean nothing. So try to sell it and get back a bit of your investment, and if that doesn't work - just give it away.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 02-07-23, 12:25 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I'm at the point I think I could easily let some go but tall framed vintage bikes don't sell very well around here. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Giraffes always have it harder. I say similar things. Especially in the post bike buying era of 2022. Like a check valve that one doesn't want.

The justification line to myself and normal humans (when they ask, or even, let's face it, in "pre-defense" of said purchases/possessions) is that I can sell the bikes, frames, and/or components for what I paid them for, if not a little more. This is true for pretty much everything all the time except for frames as the sell prices vary considerably from my purchase price. Sometimes I get more money for them, other times they're for a loss or they eat the combo meal cost of a bike built to sell.

When Covidland came to us and I was laid off, I worked to sell as much as I could in case I moved for a new job (makes moving easier) or just to have more money in the bank to float me through things. I sold a ton of stuff and got down to one bike. Necessity has a way of making decisions for us.

Winter can get a lot of us down on bikes, I think, certainly for me as a contributing factor, as it's dark and cold and rainy/snowy, doubly so if working from home vs. commuting. Gets me more in a mood to just sell everything (ok, but not the Trek 720) to fund one "dream build" idea that I have floating around in my head, but then...tall frames sell slowly and the last year or so has seen everything come to a standstill just about on the tall bike front. So then I think well I might as well ride these things I have for sale and pull down the ad. It's why I really like my big black Cannondale. Need to swap the BB (to wider) and the cranks (to shorter) to make the knees happy, but otherwise it's the surprise fun bike as of late.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.