Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bent chain stay - possible to bend back?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 03:25 AM
jliet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello,

This is being sold and was wondering how safe this would be to try and fix/bend back - it is a 531 steel frame, and the bend was not from impact, but from a coaster brake (gone wrong, I guess)?

Cheers.

Old 03-20-21, 06:26 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jliet
Hello,

This is being sold and was wondering how safe this would be to try and fix/bend back - it is a 531 steel frame, and the bend was not from impact, but from a coaster brake (gone wrong, I guess)?

Cheers.

given that’s it’s steel, if the price was right I’d certainly take a swing at it. Should be doable with a little forethought, a bench vise and some wood blocks. Looks like both the chain- and seat stay are bent, so I would alternate between the two to slowly rotate the dropout back down. Might need some tweaking to ensure correct wheel alignment. And a second pair of hands might be useful

Last edited by Litespud; 03-20-21 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Unless the frame was being sold for less than $10 USD, I'd pass. Even then I consider how easy I could find another frame with no issues..

However if it were mine, and steel, I'd try bending it back into whatever it took to make the dropouts aligned. I wouldn't try for perfection.
Old 03-20-21, 03:42 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Should be safe afterwards, and at least with steel you should be able to see evidence before it fails. I would think you could use a framebuilders jig and get it able to be ridden if not looking perfect.
Old 03-20-21, 03:59 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
My lbs has the park tool SS-1 stay straightener and has straightened a chain stay for me. That bend is very close to the dropout but it would still probably work. Your lbs could also give you an opinion on the repair.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 03-20-21, 06:14 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
I had bent seatstays that were worse than that. I had it straightened and rode the bike three more years, until the brazing at the seat lug cracked. That's when I sprung for replacement and a respray.

The chainstay is bent too, but I would certainly have this straightened and keep riding it, or sell it. If the tubes aren't creased, they is still stronger than the joints it's brazed to, and there's a lot of joint contact at the dropout, unlike a standard seat lug.
Old 03-20-21, 06:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Some good and less good advice here. I would not use a builder's jig, that's not the jig's purpose and there are faster methods to check alignment as the bending is going along that cost MUCH less. I would do some of the chain stay then some of the seat stay and back a few times to "walk up to" the best final outcome. Fr the best visuals you want to focus the bending focal point to where it is now. The Park tool really won't do this as well as clamped boards will, I have done a combo before though with metal channel clamped to the stays to better locate the bending point. Andy
Old 03-20-21, 08:54 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
It doesn't look like too difficult of a fix. A large C-clamp and some strategically placed blocks of wood, and you could have that straightened out in no time.
Old 03-21-21, 08:52 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I'm looking at this and thinking it's a little more complicated than just straightening the chain stay as the seat stay is also bent at the dropout and maybe the CS is bent at the BB shell too. Personally I would take it to a pro for an estimate before making a worse mess of this mess. Might not be hugely expensive and well worth the money spent.
Old 03-21-21, 06:13 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I've straightened worse stays than those using 2 wooden blocks under the stay, 1 on top of it and a lever, with the frame on the floor and using a heavy workbench as a stop, and they came out well.