Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

broke my non-replaceable rear derailleur hanger - options?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-28-22, 12:16 AM
bike_forum_geek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all, while trying to align a non-replaceable rear derailleur hanger, I cracked it. Embarrassing!

I was repairing an older Schwinn cruiser. It's a cool bike that someone will enjoy.

I'm told I should convert from 7 speed to single speed, since the new hangar might not cover all cogs. I don't really understand this. And, I'm unclear of the steps to install a new hanger.

I need help researching a replacement hangar and freewheel if converting to single speed is the best approach.

What are my options to save this cruiser?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-22, 01:03 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I have an old aluminum Specialized Stumpjumper I saved, the hanger was completely ripped off by someone. I'm using one of these Shimano Hone derailleurs, it mounts on the hub axle: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20295210599...cAAOSwTAheg3Gr

You need the hub, or at least the axle to transplant into another Shimano hub. Oddly the derailleurs are very common but the hubs are hard to find. Also requires a axle slot that's mostly intact and oriented correctly to locate the derailleur.

This is the more basic axle mounted derailleur option, called a claw mount: https://www.ebay.com/itm/11469430001...Cclp%3A2047675

Might not work with a cruiser frame, often they have an odd dropout. Try to post a picture if you get the post count to ten.

Double edit: Actually the claw mount might not work on that.

Last edited by wesmamyke; 04-28-22 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 01:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-07-22 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 06:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Schwinn cruiser. Go to a motorcycle repair shop, have them weld it and run a M10 x 1.0 tap through after to clean the threads up
Or get it welded and install a dropout saver
https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/dropout-savers.html
Old 04-28-22, 08:26 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you both. Wes, can you point me to a likely hub replacement, or direct me on how to figure out the correct one? Thanks again.
Old 04-28-22, 08:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_forum_geek
Hi all, while trying to align a non-replaceable rear derailleur hanger, I cracked it. Embarrassing!

I was repairing an older Schwinn cruiser. It's a cool bike that someone will enjoy.

I'm told I should convert from 7 speed to single speed, since the new hangar might not cover all cogs. I don't really understand this. And, I'm unclear of the steps to install a new hanger.

I need help researching a replacement hangar and freewheel if converting to single speed is the best approach.

What are my options to save this cruiser?

Thanks in advance.
You state that the der hangar is non-replaceable, and you want help finding a replacement.

Does not make sense to me.
Old 04-28-22, 08:39 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I need a solution to resolve a broken non-replaceable hangar.
Old 04-28-22, 08:42 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
If your cruiser has moreorless horizontal drop outs.
You may not need a new hub.
If you are willing to live with a chain on a single cog & be happy with it only on that one cog of the many then it is simple. Shorten the chain a few links to account for the non existent derailleur. Put the chain on the cog of choice, slide the wheel back until the chain is tight & retighten the axle nuts.

EDIT: If you have vertical dropouts & can't slide the axle back & forth, but do have a selection of chainrings /cogs around you can install a "ghost ring" to take up the slack. It looks hack-y but, ghost rings work.

Double EDIT: Any frame builder should be able to weld on a replacement. They often have a $100 or similar minimum labor charge.

Last edited by base2; 04-28-22 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 08:50 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
If you are willing to live with a chain on a single cog & be happy with it only on that one cog of the many then it is simple. Shorten the chain a few links to account for the non existent derailleur. Put the chain on the cog of choice, slide the wheel back until the chain is tight & retighten the axle nuts.
Thank you, this seems to be a consensus view. I'll post a solution when I'm done.
Old 04-28-22, 09:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts

There is a real risk here. I did this with my Peugeot UO-8; the bike that introduced me to 10-speeds when I was 13. It had enough crashes and "learning experiences" that the dropouts were so distorted getting the plastic Simplex derailleur to align properly on the "claw" hanger was near impossible. So I took it off, dropped the chain onto the middle cog and removed links as you suggest. Worked. Several years later I started racing, (Different bike.) Club vets told me to set this bike up fix gear. Did. Crashed first ride when I tried to coast. And was completely hooked. Since then, I've always had at least one, Now more than half the fleet. More than half the miles in my legs.

So, careful, OP. You are treading dangerous ground.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-28-22, 09:51 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Any frame builder should be able to weld on a replacement. They often have a $100 or similar minimum labor charge.
It's a $100 bike even when fixed.
Old 04-28-22, 09:52 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
please remove the image of bike on car rack. It's unnecessary to the conversation. Thank you.
Old 04-28-22, 09:59 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts

EDIT: If you have vertical dropouts & can't slide the axle back & forth, but do have a selection of chainrings /cogs around you can install a "ghost ring" to take up the slack. It looks hack-y but, ghost rings work.

Double EDIT: Any frame builder should be able to weld on a replacement. They often have a $100 or similar minimum labor charge.
this probably will not work with the existing freewheel as it look like it has the the twists and ramps to help with shifting, meaning the chain will not stay on one cog without a tensioner I have tried and it did not work

Old 04-28-22, 10:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
dedhed He didn't ask about the bikes value. He asked how to fix it. If we define "fix" as the bicycle being returned to a functional state fit for use as a bicycle, then you will see that useful commentary has been given.

squirtdad If there isn't enough slack to allow the chain to get over the gear teeth & the chain line is reasonably straight like it would be in the middle 1/3rd of the cassette, the ramps/pins/other shifting helper features will never come in to play. Chain angle more than anything else is what initiates shifting. It's a hack, of course, & it can be mitigated by chainring selection of up or down 1 or 2 teeth or possibly in combination with the addition of a half-link to fine tune the available slack with the chosen cog, but it does work. Sheldon Brown even did an article on it. It's under the "Sheldon's Kludges" heading.

Last edited by base2; 04-28-22 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-28-22, 12:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
dedhed He didn't ask about the bikes value. He asked how to fix it. If we define "fix" as the bicycle being returned to a functional state fit for use as a bicycle, then you will see that useful commentary has been given.

squirtdad If there isn't enough slack to allow the chain to get over the gear teeth & the chain line is reasonably straight like it would be in the middle 1/3rd of the cassette, the ramps/pins/other shifting helper features will never come in to play. Chain angle more than anything else is what initiates shifting. It's a hack, of course, & it can be mitigated by chainring selection of up or down 1 or 2 teeth or possibly in combination with the addition of a half-link to fine tune the available slack with the chosen cog, but it does work. Sheldon Brown even did an article on it. It's under the "Sheldon's Kludges" heading.
that is was not my hands on experience trying this, granted it was on one bike, under time pressure, and with lack of correct tools, so that could be an anomaly. It certainly can't hurt the OP to try, it is pretty much free

Old 05-05-22, 08:38 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all to responded with solutions. I went with the single speed option.

A single cog in back, with spacers to align to modified chain. Keeping the chain aligned to ring and cog and rim aligned to the frame is key to success.

We think we avoided a chain tensioner. We were about to install it to the frame bolt, assuming we could find a long enough QR bolt. We'll do this if we get a complaint about dropped chain.

Welding the hangar was considered. I found someone who would do it for $40. Would need to have cleaned the threads and fixed paint if that matters. This option would have kept the 7 speed, which is optimal. But, this bike is a give away or used to raise money for charity, Low cost and quick turn around is important.

Thanks again forum-ers.
Old 05-05-22, 08:44 AM
bike_forum_geek

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I didn't know what the ghost ring was until my favorite LBS tech was showing off. A very cool solution, but, got voted down by "less forward thinking" mechanics. This bike will go to someone who likely wouldn't know what to do if it fell off.

"If you have vertical dropouts & can't slide the axle back & forth, but do have a selection of chainrings /cogs around you can install a "ghost ring" to take up the slack. It looks hack-y but, ghost rings work."

Last edited by bike_forum_geek; 05-05-22 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 08:44 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You state that the der hangar is non-replaceable, and you want help finding a replacement.

Does not make sense to me.
I think what he is looking for makes sense to the rest of us, hence the number of actually useful suggestions from other members.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 05-05-22, 09:06 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I think what he is looking for makes sense to the rest of us, hence the number of actually useful suggestions from other members.
My post prompted a clarification from the OP.

How does your post help address the OP's question?
Old 05-05-22, 09:17 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
My post prompted a clarification from the OP.

How does your post help address the OP's question?
It helps him know that his question was very easy to understand (especially with the pictures), and that it made sense to everyone else.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 05-05-22, 09:22 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
It helps him know that his question was very easy to understand (especially with the pictures), and that it made sense to everyone else.
Unprovable statement, since many thousands of bf members did not post in the thread.

By the way, if you really want to be a moderator, you should volunteer. I'm sure they could use your help.
Old 05-05-22, 09:42 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

dedhed He didn't ask about the bikes value. He asked how to fix it. If we define "fix" as the bicycle being returned to a functional state fit for use as a bicycle, then you will see that useful commentary has been given..
From the OP
"​​​​​​I was repairing an older Schwinn cruiser. It's a cool bike that someone will enjoy."

Clearly not the op's bike, and cost to repair vs value of bike is a very legitimate concern as to direction repair proceeds.
Old 05-05-22, 07:59 PM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I'm not sure of the angle of your drop out but you could consider this solution: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Compa...ps%2C89&sr=8-8 .
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 05-06-22, 11:54 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
Unprovable statement, since many thousands of bf members did not post in the thread.

By the way, if you really want to be a moderator, you should volunteer. I'm sure they could use your help.
We only need the help because of the rudeness of people like you. Now stop.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-07-22, 11:37 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Would something like this replacement hanger work ?

https://www.amazon.com/AUTUT-Univers...58306047&psc=1

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-07-22 at 01:45 PM.