Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed to 11 speed hub upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-22, 08:15 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

Want to upgrade my 10 yo rear rim from old 10 speed Shimano to a new XT compatible 11 speed cassette. I can think of the two options:
  1. Get the complete hub unit with disk mount and QR, new spokes (or maybe reuse the old ones?) and re-lace/true the wheel?
  2. Get the hub body only, ball bearings kit, spacers and replace and service the old hub
The price difference is negligible, which is easier for DIY? Any other ways that are easier/better?

Last edited by alexk_il; 06-20-22 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-20-22, 08:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Is this a "Road" cassette or a "MTB" cassette?

For cassettes with < 34T large sprocket, the 10s and 11s Shimano freehubs are not compatible. And you'll have to replace the entire hub.

For cassettes with > 34T large sprocket, they work fine on 10s freehubs. Nothing to replace. They come with a spacer to use on 11s freehubs (you don't need the extra spacer).
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-20-22, 11:20 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
So what do you currently have? Take it its an MTB hub from what your saying, MTB 11 speed is the same spec freehub as 10/9/8 speed MTB, it only changes when you go to 12 speed and microspline

If road, you could just get a R8000 11-34 which is a 11 speed cassette which will fit onto a 10 speed road hub.

Would avoid any idea that involves re-building a wheel for what your proposing, as your going to take working parts effectively replace so much that you may as well have just bought all new. Also, unless you can build wheels already, really would suggest that it's not really worth it today, factory wheel for MTB are so cheap (relative to the components needed to build a wheel & good quality) that unless you have the skills needed/ a source of cheap parts/be prepared to wait it's just easier and cheaper to buy off the shelf factory wheels
Likes For jimc101:
Old 06-20-22, 11:44 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by jimc101
So what do you currently have? Take it its an MTB hub from what your saying, MTB 11 speed is the same spec freehub as 10/9/8 speed MTB, it only changes when you go to 12 speed and microspline

If road, you could just get a R8000 11-34 which is a 11 speed cassette which will fit onto a 10 speed road hub.

Would avoid any idea that involves re-building a wheel for what your proposing, as your going to take working parts effectively replace so much that you may as well have just bought all new. Also, unless you can build wheels already, really would suggest that it's not really worth it today, factory wheel for MTB are so cheap (relative to the components needed to build a wheel & good quality) that unless you have the skills needed/ a source of cheap parts/be prepared to wait it's just easier and cheaper to buy off the shelf factory wheels
I have a 10-12 year old hybrid bike with a Shimano 10 speeds and disk brake hub. 10-32t cassete, they didn't have 11-34t at that time, I think.

This is what I am up to:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...te-anyone.html

That's a lot of chain capacity from FD and RD, don't have any choice but to use MTB XT derailleur and an 11s MTB cassette.

So... AFAIK the old Shimano 10s freehubs are incompatible with 11s. Also, 11s freehubs for road and MTB are incompatible too. Not sure if I can buy a wheel that fits a hybrid bike with MTB XT hubs, for cosmetic reasons would prefer to have matching wheels.

Are there any decent quality wheels under £100 that match the description?

Last edited by alexk_il; 06-20-22 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-20-22, 12:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
A 10 speed freehub will work fine with any 11 speed cassette with 34T or larger for the large sprocket "MTB".

The difference between 11 speed road and 11 speed MTB is the road freehubs are wider. The MTB cassettes will still fit on the road freehubs, but will require a spacer.

Obviously you'll also need to upgrade your shifters to go to 11 speed.

Lots of info about shift ratios here:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycl...ing_Dimensions

Somewhat complex info, but 10s and 11s MTB derailleurs have the same shift ratio, and may be interchangeable..
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-20-22, 12:58 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by CliffordK
A 10 speed freehub will work fine with any 11 speed cassette with 34T or larger for the large sprocket "MTB".

The difference between 11 speed road and 11 speed MTB is the road freehubs are wider. The MTB cassettes will still fit on the road freehubs, but will require a spacer.
​​​​​​...

Somewhat complex info, but 10s and 11s MTB derailleurs have the same shift ratio, and may be interchangeable..
Oh... I now understand what you and others mean by 34+ MTB cassette fitting the road 10speed hub. For some reason the Shimano compatibility chart doesn't mention that option, I think you are right though.

What spacer do I need to make it work?
Old 06-20-22, 01:36 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
Oh... I now understand what you and others mean by 34+ MTB cassette fitting the road 10speed hub. For some reason the Shimano compatibility chart doesn't mention that option, I think you are right though.

https://youtu.be/VqS4uPhV3mw

What spacer do I need to make it work?
You don't need any spacer. You would only need one if you were putting the 11 speed cassette onto an 11 speed road freehub
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-20-22, 01:51 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
you can run 12 speed too you just have to get a cassette where the small cog is an 11 instead of a 10. The 10 tooth cog is what takes the special freehub with shimano and sram. Sunrace makes 11-whatever cassettes in 12 speed that will fit fine.
Likes For Canker: