Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bent wheel after crash. Repairable?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-02-22, 05:05 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a slight bend in the rim of my rear tire. I put it on a truing stand and loosened all the spokes and removed the tire and it is still bent. It is not a dramatic bend I would say it’s displaced maybe a half an inch side to side. The wheel appears to be in good shape otherwise. I’m wondering if this is repairable by re-trueing or if I have to bend the rim to get it straight with the zero tension in the spokes and then True it

thanks for the help
Old 09-02-22, 05:44 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Honestly, to me it sounds like time for a new rim a 1/2" (0.500") lateral movement is pretty far out. If Aluminum check for cracking if you think you want to play with it, but I'd get a new rim.
Likes For Steelman54:
Old 09-02-22, 09:31 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
It depends on how 'strong' the bend is. I've trued bent wheels that required so much tension on some spokes and almost none on others: they'd flex and break spokes - it was a waste of time. I've trued others that required not so much, were rideable. ½" sounds like a lot.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 09-02-22, 10:00 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
There is always the get down dirty method. I did this with a wheel I thought I was going to trash and then got another 5 years out of it. But it was a steel wheel...

Last edited by zandoval; 09-03-22 at 10:54 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 09-03-22, 12:00 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I’m wondering if this is repairable.
I would first try to true it and see what hurdles are required. If the bend is severe enough, a spoke (or three) can be pretty loose to get it true. In that case, I might disassemble the wheel and attempt to straighten the rim before the rebuild. Really depends on the condition of the rim and likelihood of replacing it easily.
Old 09-03-22, 06:19 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I agree with an attempt at bending and truing, if the rim isn't dented or cracked. The wood blocks on the floor isn't a bad technique. Put a tire on to keep from damaging the rim more.
Old 09-03-22, 01:05 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
If it’s a half inch from one spoke to the next that is a much different thing than a half inch across a quarter of the wheel rotation.

The times I’ve had to save a wheel that far out I dropped tension, gently bent it straight with blocks on the floor, then retensioned and trued. It’s much harder to fix out of round bends than out of true bends.

I should also point out that for reasonably inexpensive wheels it is never worth it if you have to pay someone else to do it. Every time I’ve done it has been helping a friend who didn’t have the money for a new wheel at a moment when I had the spare time. I suppose it also keeps some parts out of the recycling heap.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 09-03-22, 11:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
If you're not good at or comfortable with wheel truing, simply bring it to a reputable shop and have them give you an opinion. Seriously, getting a wheel trued is cheap and quick by a shop.

I ran over a front wheel when I leaned it against the car while I was loading the bike onto a fork mount in the back and forgot about it when I turned into it in reverse when I left the parking lot. Didn't notice until I went to put the wheel on when I got to my start point. Found the wheel when I returned - imbedded in the gravel where I was parked (that was probably fortunate). I thought it was hopeless, it looked very bad. Instead of following my initial inclination and looking on EBay for a matching wheel, I sheepishly took it to a LBS. The shop replaced one spoke and trued it to what they told me was not perfect, but to my eye, it is well within "not noticeable" condition. I've been riding it without any thought for 15 years. Being a front wheel, I would certainly be bothered by any visual clue of imperfection, but it is not noticeable. Oh, I had to replace the front skewer, it was ruined.

All this is to say find out if it's ruined or not, don't hypothesize or ask people who can't even see it.

Last edited by Camilo; 09-03-22 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-04-22, 06:10 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
It might be trued to a reasonable degree but the major problem is an imbalance of spoke tensions which could result in the wheel failing at some point. Shmaybe/Smmaybe Not. It also depends on how "heavy" the rider rides the bike with the wonky wheel. Some riders ride their bike like they are on a snow plow, pounding over the roads and all obstacles while others ride like they are a leaf on the wind. Heavy riders suffer more bike problems so don't be a heavy rider.
Start preparing to replace the rim or wheel itself...it's not a bad idea to have a spare wheelset.
Old 09-04-22, 09:59 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
The aluminum rim retains the memory of the bend. It’s usually better to gently bend the rim back (doesn’t have to be perfect), then use spoke tension to true. Straightening a serious bend with spoke tension alone doesn’t usually end well.