Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mafac brake levers - missing half of adjuster

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 09:11 PM
yonex96

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all,

Beginner here, trying to get an early 70s UO-8 up and running! It has the original Mafac brakes (half-hood style), which include cable adjusters. My issue is that half of the adjuster is missing - I only have the inner screw and not the outer barrel part. Sourcing a replacement part has proven to be difficult and/or exorbitantly expensive. What are your suggestions on the best way to make this work? Without the barrel, the adjuster slides right out of the hood whenever I brake, even with a standard nut on top. To be honest I'm not entirely clear on what keeps it from slipping out in the original design! I could take the adjuster out entirely, but don't like it rubbing against the outside of the hood, which is already fairly worn.

I don't have image privileges yet, but referencing this link here, I have the bottom-right part of the adjuster but not the bottom-left. Please remove the space to access the link: flickr.com/ stronglight/2262683651

Any suggestions and wisdom welcome! I don't mind using new parts, random hardware store solutions, or other creative Franken-bike ideas. Thanks, A
Old 12-08-22, 09:25 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
yonex96-

I have a spare adjuster that you are welcome to. PM me with an address and I will mail it off to you.
Old 12-09-22, 10:28 AM
yonex96

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bertinjim , you are a Christmas miracle! Thank you!!!
Old 12-09-22, 10:30 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by yonex96
bertinjim , you are a Christmas miracle! Thank you!!!
Those at one time were available at Rustines, like 30 euro for the pair, two assemblies.
You are fortunate
Old 12-10-22, 04:28 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Check the bottom parts, the nose that fits in the lever body will bend and break.