Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Replace tires 29x2.2 -> 29 x 2.0

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 01:33 AM
sancho_s

Bikes: Raleigh MT-200 (1994), GT Karakoram Elite (2013)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a GT Karakoram Elite 2014. It has the original tires Continental King Race 29x2.2 (rim Jalco XCD22).
I don't have it with me to check anything.

On one hand, I mean to use tubeless ready tires. I am not 100% the rims are ok for that.
Would they be?

On the other hand, I mean to use 29x2.1 or even 29x2.0, if possible, for a lower rolling resistance.
How can I tell if they would be ok?
Does that depend on brand/model?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-22, 11:09 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by sancho_s
Hi,

I have a GT Karakoram Elite 2014. It has the original tires Continental King Race 29x2.2 (rim Jalco XCD22).
I don't have it with me to check anything.

On one hand, I mean to use tubeless ready tires. I am not 100% the rims are ok for that.
Would they be?

On the other hand, I mean to use 29x2.1 or even 29x2.0, if possible, for a lower rolling resistance.
How can I tell if they would be ok?
Does that depend on brand/model?

Thanks!
I run 2.3 in front (26er) and 2.2 (26er) rear. I can’t go bigger but would to smooth out my hard tail.

To answer the non tubeless ready rim use. That is what I have. Front is a 15 year old sun rim. Rear low end sun wheel. I used two wraps of tubeless rim tape. Should have gone three then maybe the floor pump would have seated the Conti tubeless ready tires. I have a compressor. Seated easy with it. They hold air better than the tubes I had. I can run lower pressure without pinch flatting. But carry two tubes if I get a flat.

I see tape width as important. I’m wide enough the tape extends up to the rim bead lock.

The lower pressure and dropper suspension seat post has allowed me to procrastinate more with getting a full suspension 29er.
Old 12-15-22, 04:13 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Where are you riding? Dirt? Pavement? If you're riding dirt you don't want narrower tires for 'less rolling resistance'. It doesn't work that way. Narrower tires need higher pressure to avoid pinch flats. Higher pressure bounces more, and that is the definition of rolling resistance. You want wider tires w/ greater air volume that you can run at lower pressure so they roll without bouncing.
Likes For cxwrench: