Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Loud Wahoo KickR Snap trainer

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 12-19-22, 04:38 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts

Maybe it was always this way, but my Wahoo KickR Snap (wheel on smart trainer) seems louder to me now. Not sure, but I think about 4 years old, so clearly out of warranty. Might be my imagination, but it seem to quiet down about about 10-15 minutes. Not too bad until I go over 20mph.

Nothing has changed, same bike with same tires in same room on same floor.

Any way to easily service? Any harm in ignoring it and just turning up the music?
Old 01-01-23, 06:21 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Just to close this out, and maybe help someone.

I took a picture of the serial number plate and sent it to Wahoo with an explanation. They asked me to send a video so that they could see and hear the problem. A couple of possible solutions and they ended up sending me a new drivewheel assembly. I installed in in about ten minutes and it works great!

No cost to me and no shipping the old part back. It is very heavy.

Thanks Wahoo!
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-09-23, 01:55 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Glad to hear Wahoo resolved this. I've got a 3 year old Snap and haven't noticed any added noise/problems but it's good to know that Wahoo still stands behind these.
Old 01-10-23, 03:29 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
My Kickr Core went from running fine one day, to a murmuring/humming sound the next, to a louder warble the next, to an all-out screeching/bearing sound and bad vibration... all within 4 days.
I opened a support ticket, uploaded a video of the problem, a picture of my SN, and proof of purchase. I received an email confirmation the next day that they had received my support ticket and attachments.

That was a whole week ago and I've heard nothing since. Does the OP or anyone else have a recent experience about how quickly Wahoo will respond?
In the meantime, my Core sits and I've had to use a borrowed dumb trainer. Frustrating.
Old 01-10-23, 08:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
my most recent experience is late 2021 with a broken kicker. it took at most 3 days according to my email correspondence and took 13 days to mostly correct my problem. my first email from them says to wait or additional communication with them can delay things. hope you hear back soon, good thing you have a backup, i didn't.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-10-23, 09:10 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
That was a whole week ago and I've heard nothing since. Does the OP or anyone else have a recent experience about how quickly Wahoo will respond.
About 2 days after uploading all my stuff.
I think you should reach out to them. Overall experience with Wahoo support for my Kickr was excellent.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-11-23, 11:11 AM
redcon1

Thanks for the suggestion. I reached out to Wahoo on Twitter and had a follow-up email from support early this morning. They will replace my Kickr Core under warranty and sent a prepaid Fedex label.
I need to box up my Core (thankfully I saved the box) and when they receive tracking that mine was shipped, they will send out the replacement.

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
About 2 days after uploading all my stuff.
I think you should reach out to them. Overall experience with Wahoo support for my Kickr was excellent.
Old 01-11-23, 11:17 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
just a heads up, when i sent my kicker back the one i received did not have all the accessories, specifically what i needed was the shim for the cassette. my kicker was out of warranty so what i did was buy a refurbished unit at a good price. the rear oblong foot arrived broken. so, ended up waiting another week for the shim and replacement foot. at the time the weather cooperated so not too bad.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-11-23, 01:12 PM
redcon1

Thanks for the heads up - Wahoo instructed me to package up all the included accessories with my Core - QR axle, axle adapters, power block and cord. But the Core doesn't come with a cassette, so I already removed that.
Old 01-11-23, 04:13 PM
bblair

Originally Posted by redcon1
My Kickr Core went from running fine one day,.....

That was a whole week ago and I've heard nothing since. Does the OP or anyone else have a recent experience about how quickly Wahoo will respond?
In the meantime, my Core sits and I've had to use a borrowed dumb trainer. Frustrating.
Pretty quick, I think the next day. But every response in the back and forth was the following day, so put everything you can in the first message, including the picture and video. It will save you a few days.