Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Using CycleOps 300Pro Indoor bike for Rouvy/Zwift

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 01-04-23, 10:29 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

I already own a cycleops power 300Pro indoor bike. It works fine for what it is. It has the powertap power measuring hub built-in, but it is a special flavor of ant+ technology that only communicates with it's Joule head unit. It won't talk to Garmin, and it won't natively talk to zwift, etc.

I would like to bring it into more modern abilities...I know I can't get it to act like a smart trainer, but if I could pair it with some power meter pedals, I could likely at least track rides accurately on my garmin 530 head unit. I have the garmin speed sensor, and can attach it to the rear wheel (seems to work ok). I've always been a spd pedal user, but am thinking about going with the Favero Assioma, and some road shoes. Anyone else set something like this up? Should work for Rouvy/Zwift, correct?

Old 01-04-23, 11:01 AM
6door74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
There's a video on YouTube of a guy who uses those pedals on his spin bike for Zwift. I can't post links due to my post count but his name is PowerKarma. I initially did the speed/cadence sensor after seeing his video about that being a cheap way to do it. I eventually got a Kickr Snap because i wanted the smart feature.
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-04-23, 11:12 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
special variant of ant+...are you sure? ant+ is supposed to be an agreed upon protocol. if a device claims to be ant compliant then any head unit can connect. does this have the ant logo? or just claims ant?

this machine looks well built with 3 feet at the contact points. i have a kicker core and it has 4 contact points. such a PITA to keep it leveled.
Old 01-04-23, 11:22 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I already own a cycleops power 300Pro indoor bike. It works fine for what it is. It has the powertap power measuring hub built-in, but it is a special flavor of ant+ technology that only communicates with it's Joule head unit. It won't talk to Garmin, and it won't natively talk to zwift, etc.

I would like to bring it into more modern abilities...I know I can't get it to act like a smart trainer, but if I could pair it with some power meter pedals, I could likely at least track rides accurately on my garmin 530 head unit. I have the garmin speed sensor, and can attach it to the rear wheel (seems to work ok). I've always been a spd pedal user, but am thinking about going with the Favero Assioma, and some road shoes. Anyone else set something like this up? Should work for Rouvy/Zwift, correct?

I had one for years and replaced it with a Kickr bike recently. Rouvy from what I recall still supports the P300 when using an ANT USB key in a PC. Other than that I gave up finding a use for it.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-04-23, 11:52 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8

If you're adding power meter pedals, you don't need a speed sensor for Zwift. Zwift will take your power output and use that to calculate speed. Zwift only uses speed/cadence sensors as a workaround to "estimate" power for users who don't have power meters. Zwift will connect directly to your power meter - you don't need the Garmin head unit for that.

The main downside (which you seem to realize already) is that you'd have to manually control the resistance on the trainer - so things like grade changes or interval workouts would require you to adjust up/down accordingly.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-04-23, 12:04 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by msu2001la
If you're adding power meter pedals, you don't need a speed sensor for Zwift. Zwift will take your power output and use that to calculate speed. Zwift only uses speed/cadence sensors as a workaround to "estimate" power for users who don't have power meters. Zwift will connect directly to your power meter - you don't need the Garmin head unit for that.

The main downside (which you seem to realize already) is that you'd have to manually control the resistance on the trainer - so things like grade changes or interval workouts would require you to adjust up/down accordingly.
Unfortunately the P300 does not have the ability to manually adjust resistance and the Joule head units are very prone to failure if you constantly adjust the resistance.

They were an amazing product technology wise when first introduced, built extremely well and worked well with supporting software. Issue was the proprietary ANT protocol limited adoption from software companies. TrainerRoad supported them for a while but that came to a end years ago. Because they used a stepper motor to control resistance stable power settings were a problem and as cadence dropped it resulted in crazy resistance response.
Old 01-04-23, 12:43 PM
Atlas Shrugged

If you are up for a bit of modification, you can use this for inspiration.
Old 01-04-23, 09:16 PM
Craptacular8

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

I’m not entirely sure what I’m looking at there? I think Saris bought cycleops out, and they offer some kind of module that brings it into the modern era for $500. I just wasn’t sure I wanted to pursue a fix that was exclusively for an indoor bike.
Old 01-05-23, 05:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

+1. Same goes for Rouvy and all the other similar apps using power. It will work very well. I wouldn't bother with using a head unit. Just record your rides in Zwift and export back to Garmin if you are logging your data there. A speed sensor will not give you any meaningful speed data anyway on a stationary bike. The virtual road speed calculated from your power in Zwift/Rouvy will be a much better representation of your virtual rides than your flywheel speed.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-05-23, 06:17 AM
Craptacular8

Mine is the 300Pro. The yellow know on the top tube manually controls the resistance. it's a little different than the one posted later in the conversation that does not appear to have a resistance knob. Thanks.
Old 01-05-23, 07:18 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Honestly, with the way prices are falling right now, you could get a Zwift Hub for cheaper than dual sided power pedals and ride it with your outdoor bike. Or spend a couple hundred more (about the price point for Assioma Duo pedals) and get something like the Kickr Core if the accuracy (and potential lack of support following the patent lawsuit) of the Zwift Hub worry you. And I say that as someone who first used a Powertap hub (SL+ so non-proprietary ANT+) and then Assioma Duo pedals on a dumb trainer (really just rollers with a fork stand) for several years before getting a direct drive trainer (Elite Direto XR-T, another great option and about the same price or cheaper than the Core with slightly better accuracy/resistance, but support isn't as available and it may not be as sturdy) when my fork stand broke and could no longer be fixed. I only left powertap for the Assioma Duos when I got hit by a car and my powertap wheel got wrecked (and I found I couldn't replace it as they were no longer being made). Power pedals will work on that, but, if you've got an outdoor bike already, a direct drive trainer can be about the same price (unless you go used for the pedals) and will give you a much better experience.
Old 01-05-23, 08:55 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by himespau
Honestly, with the way prices are falling right now, you could get a Zwift Hub for cheaper than dual sided power pedals and ride it with your outdoor bike. Or spend a couple hundred more (about the price point for Assioma Duo pedals) and get something like the Kickr Core if the accuracy (and potential lack of support following the patent lawsuit) of the Zwift Hub worry you. And I say that as someone who first used a Powertap hub (SL+ so non-proprietary ANT+) and then Assioma Duo pedals on a dumb trainer (really just rollers with a fork stand) for several years before getting a direct drive trainer (Elite Direto XR-T, another great option and about the same price or cheaper than the Core with slightly better accuracy/resistance, but support isn't as available and it may not be as sturdy) when my fork stand broke and could no longer be fixed. I only left powertap for the Assioma Duos when I got hit by a car and my powertap wheel got wrecked (and I found I couldn't replace it as they were no longer being made). Power pedals will work on that, but, if you've got an outdoor bike already, a direct drive trainer can be about the same price (unless you go used for the pedals) and will give you a much better experience.
Agree with this - a cheap smart trainer with an already-owned bike is going to deliver a much better experience than running a power meter on a dumb trainer.

That said - if product support is a concern - Wahoo isn't exactly a safe haven either. Rumors of their demise have been swirling for months. The fact that they've slashed prices across the board on their trainers isn't a great sign either.
Old 01-05-23, 09:26 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

Not only is it a flat-bar conversion (with bullhorns), but they used an XTR rear derailleur. This is hilarious.
Old 01-05-23, 10:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Wahoo desk seems an odd choice given that a monitor stand (or standing desk converter) on the actual desk right behind it would be more sturdy and cheaper, but compared to what the did do the Cyclops bike and Wahoo trainer (and XTR rerailleur) when they clearly have a functioning bike in the picture that could have gone on the wahoo trainer for much less work, it's just a minor quibble.
Old 01-05-23, 11:15 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
looks to me like a science project. possibly two broken parts merged into something useful. i had a kicker core that had the main structural support arm broken at the bottom near where the outriders are mounted. this unit they have does not have any of that. a good use of parts.
Old 01-05-23, 04:41 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
IIRC, ANT+ and I believe BT sensors will connect only to one device at a time. Is it possible to disable power to the head unit?