Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone shift from cycling to running?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-24-23, 01:56 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts

I know that is pretty much the opposite: people switching to cycling as a low-impact sport.

Got tired of riding solo for too many years. Too many hours in the saddle, sometimes in great scenery, but dreading getting a failure and having a hard time to get back. Very few local groups and they are either too young, too old, or too fast (super fast, some pros). I also have no more goals. Climbed Haleakala. Climbed peaks in the Alps. What is next?

Currently prepping for a marathon in a month. Running feels great because I am actually training and making progress instead of just riding. Will resume more cycling after my marathon, but I am not missing it as much.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 01-24-23, 02:28 PM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
If you planning to do any marathons, I recommend reading some books from Jeff Galloway. The text are out of date, but the basics are there. The only reason why I switched from running to biking because I was not prepared for the Boston as much as I thought. That is a killer run.
Likes For Senathon:
Old 01-24-23, 03:06 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Currently following a marathon method that encourages doing other cardio activities twice a week, so that I do not fully give up cycling. My rides go overboard for the training (I like to climb, flat riding is boring as it is). My goal is sadly not good enough to qualify for Boston by 20 minutes.
Old 01-24-23, 03:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Got tired of riding solo for too many years. Too many hours in the saddle, sometimes in great scenery, but dreading getting a failure and having a hard time to get back.
That is what Uber XL is for. Riding the same routes do get boring but is still Zen. Have you considered riding gravel? I recently started and it has brought back the same sense of exploration that I had when I first started road cycling.
Old 01-24-23, 08:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I made the switch several times in both directions over my athletic life and ran for most of my child rearing and peak career years, when I was too busy to do more on the bike than commute. I have no idea how the tri-geeks compete at both simultaneously.
Old 01-24-23, 09:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I run at night with my dog. Some days, it more walk than run, but that is my attempt anyway.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-24-23, 10:22 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Run and jump fast twitch athlete all my life. College basketball player. I got Plantar Fasciitis in my early 40s. Couldn't get rid of it, so I quit golf, basketball and the other court sports. Then I became a cyclist. My wife had became a runner. She wanted me to run also. I said I'd never run a 5k or more but I signed up for one. The cycling/running cured the Plantar, but that is for another thread. Then a 10k, then a half marathon on St. Patrick's Day. Then she wanted to try multi sport, but no swim. So we signed up for an Olympic duathlon in June of the same year. I also had a climbing century planned in May. She had done her 1st marathon the previous fall. Trained with a team and enjoyed it. A coach on her team was giving a presentation on the training team at my gym. I went to the presentation. I thought since I'm training for the other stuff, I might as well give the marathon a go. Signed up for the team. That first 5k was in 2010. In between that time, 16 marathons, around 50 1/2 marathons and lots of 5/10ks have been ran. St. Patrick's Day is my birthday, so the Shamrock 1/2 in VA Beach is the first "official" event of each year. Best after party you'll ever attend. Still cycle and do that same climbing event each May. Training for the fall marathons begin each June. I sprinkle in other running/cycling events throughout the year as well as the occasional tri. I won't lie to you. I'm a mediocre endurance athlete. Middle to back of pack. Very rarely ever make it into the top 50% of my age group. Who cares! You have to do what you can to keep your exercise fresh and fun. The key is fun. Don't fret over your results too much. Just go out there and do it because you can. One day you won't be able to anymore.

Last edited by seypat; 01-25-23 at 07:02 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-24-23, 10:55 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
I know that is pretty much the opposite: people switching to cycling as a low-impact sport.

Got tired of riding solo for too many years. Too many hours in the saddle, sometimes in great scenery, but dreading getting a failure and having a hard time to get back. Very few local groups and they are either too young, too old, or too fast (super fast, some pros). I also have no more goals. Climbed Haleakala. Climbed peaks in the Alps. What is next?

Currently prepping for a marathon in a month. Running feels great because I am actually training and making progress instead of just riding. Will resume more cycling after my marathon, but I am not missing it as much.

my brother,

too old on this end to hang with but always willing to destroy the body on interminable climbs. but yah...time for a gravel or mtb in your cycling world. you're a 20 min drive from a world of durt hurt and adjacent to enuff
off-road to fill the days you can't be bothered to throw the bike in the car. you could also mix in some trail/cross country running and preview cycling routes or vice versa.

i know you're pretty familiar with the (esp west end) of angeles nf but once you include the san berdoo nf (hour drive one way) and los padres nf (ditto), thatsa lotta trails running/cycling. even twice a month visiting...

Last edited by diphthong; 01-24-23 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 09:50 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts
I don’t know your body size/type…but depending on your weight, marathon running/training might not be the best for you.
I’m sorta the opposite…have essentially given up running. I began running in h.s. in the late 70s and kept with it. I was also a lifeguard so was an able swimmer. Then this thing called “triathlon” started and I wanted to give it a try (no pun intended). So I got a road bike and began riding, and started swimming more regularly with intent on ‘training’ for triathlon. But then about 8 years ago one of my hips needed replace. And I am confident that decades of a 6’2” 190-200 lbs body pounding the pavement for lots of road races, a couple ½ marathons annually, and a full marathon every year or two was too much for my lower joints (and I now need knee replacement). But I still ride (road) mostly by myself, and swim a 2-3 times per week. Frequently open water swimming. So you might consider some open water swimming for you challenge. Try to find location where scenery is compelling. You may enjoy it.

Dan
Old 01-25-23, 09:57 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
Ain't nobody chasing me, ain't gonna run.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-25-23, 04:45 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is what Uber XL is for. Riding the same routes do get boring but is still Zen. Have you considered riding gravel? I recently started and it has brought back the same sense of exploration that I had when I first started road cycling.
Uber XL? Been there, done that, quite a few times. Worst part is when I break down in places with no cell service and/or no cars allowed. Thankfully, since those in the mountains, I got to coast down (except for the one time wheel went out of true due to a broken spoke).

Do not have room for another bike.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
too old on this end to hang with but always willing to destroy the body on interminable climbs. but yah...time for a gravel or mtb in your cycling world. you're a 20 min drive from a world of durt hurt and adjacent to enuff
off-road to fill the days you can't be bothered to throw the bike in the car. you could also mix in some trail/cross country running and preview cycling routes or vice versa.
You know that I do not have room for another bike. If I was able to ride gravel without needing a car, I would have gotten a gravel bike by now. It would take me more than a 20 min drive to get to gravel. All the trails by me are closed to bicycles. BTW, back into serious rides in late March, including finally doing the route down to you.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I don’t know your body size/type…but depending on your weight, marathon running/training might not be the best for you.

Frequently open water swimming. So you might consider some open water swimming for you challenge. Try to find location where scenery is compelling. You may enjoy it.
I am tall and slim, so have the body type for it. The age is creeping up though! I grew up in lower-class neighborhood in NYC. No pools in the hood! Tried to learn to swim quite a few times, but never got it. So, no triathlons for me!
Old 01-25-23, 05:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Running feels great because I am actually training and making progress instead of just riding.
I am chubby and slow, and so have no issues with "just riding"! Rather, "just riding" is Zen, unless there is an equipment issue, at which point, Zen is replaced by OCD.

I have flat feet and so cannot run > 50 m. But I hike every so often, which now also serves as recon for gravel riding.
Old 01-25-23, 05:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Ain't nobody chasing me, ain't gonna run.
Yes, running in street clothes instead of athletic wear arouses immediate suspicion.
Old 01-26-23, 03:24 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Uber XL? Been there, done that, quite a few times. Worst part is when I break down in places with no cell service and/or no cars allowed. Thankfully, since those in the mountains, I got to coast down (except for the one time wheel went out of true due to a broken spoke).

Do not have room for another bike.

You know that I do not have room for another bike. If I was able to ride gravel without needing a car, I would have gotten a gravel bike by now. It would take me more than a 20 min drive to get to gravel. All the trails by me are closed to bicycles. BTW, back into serious rides in late March, including finally doing the route down to you.

I am tall and slim, so have the body type for it. The age is creeping up though! I grew up in lower-class neighborhood in NYC. No pools in the hood! Tried to learn to swim quite a few times, but never got it. So, no triathlons for me!
i'd best be getting busy then. eff. woulda suggested doing ca hwy 33 from ojai up to the first or second summit but the road got trashed during the recent slate of storms. i'll work on it. maybe ca hwy 243 from beaumont to idyllwild loop.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-26-23 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-26-23, 07:37 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 430 Posts
I've been a runner and rider all my life. As of late though, I'm slowly getting away from running in my late 50s. I'd like to correct that, cuz I think the cross training is good. High impact sports supposedly are good for maintaining bone density, which is important at my age.
Old 01-26-23, 07:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
What is the best book or website to learn how to run from a technique perspective.

I've never run. I plan to run Boston in 2024 or 2025 because I loved watching it in person as a youngster

I'd like to get the right technique down. I know from hiking that I tend to be an overstrider. Hire a coach? Just start running? Any tips?
Old 01-26-23, 08:58 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
What is the best book or website to learn how to run from a technique perspective.

I've never run. I plan to run Boston in 2024 or 2025 because I loved watching it in person as a youngster

I'd like to get the right technique down. I know from hiking that I tend to be an overstrider. Hire a coach? Just start running? Any tips?
Realize that you have to qualify for Boston. The only way I'll ever get in is to live long enough to age into a age group without many competitors left. They did have a virtual race during the pandemic years that gave you the swag. I did that so I have the finisher's jersey and medal. After looking at the qualifying requirements for the age groups, it appears I'll never qualify.

Here is the BAA website. The BAA can direct you to the info you're looking for such as local groups to get started. I'll plug my local marathon, the Richmond Marathon. It's known as a great first marathon. It also has a virtual training team. I've also done the Marine Corps Marathon the last 4-5 years. If you have ties to any of the service/military branches, that would be the one to do.

https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/qualify

https://www.richmondmarathon.org/

Last edited by seypat; 01-26-23 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-26-23, 11:04 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts

As stated above, you have to qualify first, AND THEN that makes you eligible for the registration lottery. But there are lots of charitable organizations that the B.A.A. gives guaranteed entry slots to. You sign up and raise money through them for your entry. https://www.baa.org/races/boston-mar...harity-program

Dan
Old 01-26-23, 12:14 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Why not both? Varying sports is better (psychologically and physically) than only doing one sport.

I run year round to enhance my cycling performance (better cardio). I cross-country ski during winter for the same reason.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 01-26-23, 01:11 PM
seypat

Really you should do everything/all you can. Cross training might make you a little sloer on the bike,(or not) but it's better for your overall health.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-26-23, 01:23 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Realize that you have to qualify for Boston. The only way I'll ever get in is to live long enough to age into a age group without many competitors left. They did have a virtual race during the pandemic years that gave you the swag. I did that so I have the finisher's jersey and medal. After looking at the qualifying requirements for the age groups, it appears I'll never qualify.

Here is the BAA website. The BAA can direct you to the info you're looking for such as local groups to get started. I'll plug my local marathon, the Richmond Marathon. It's known as a great first marathon. It also has a virtual training team. I've also done the Marine Corps Marathon the last 4-5 years. If you have ties to any of the service/military branches, that would be the one to do.

Technically if you raise enough charity cash, you don’t have to BQ. I’d rather get in on my own merits though. Someone I know peripherally “ran” Boston at a 6 hours after fundraising like 15,000. Meanwhile the people that just barely qualify sometimes don’t get in. I think my age group is 3:06 or so
Old 01-26-23, 02:23 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Technically if you raise enough charity cash, you don’t have to BQ. I’d rather get in on my own merits though. Someone I know peripherally “ran” Boston at a 6 hours after fundraising like 15,000. Meanwhile the people that just barely qualify sometimes don’t get in. I think my age group is 3:06 or so
Yep, you can either qualify, or buy your way in with someone's cash.
Old 01-26-23, 02:35 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

Thanks

4:05 would be my qualifying time. I understand this to be around VO2 of 30 ml/kg pace if what I read is correct or maybe zone 2 for 4 hours or about 9:20 miles. Presumably I should be able to do below 4 hours. Of course none of the Townies bothered with qualifying back in the day. 4:05 qualified 11/12 past races and 3:57 qualified 12/12, so, I would target 3:55 and sub 9 minute miles overall if that makes sense.

Thanks

Last edited by GhostRider62; 01-26-23 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-26-23, 02:46 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I was a sprinter (hurdles) and basketball player in high school. That was 30+ years ago. These days, I only run to Costco. But a similar urge has been developing, knowing that at this age, I need to be doing something for long-term health that's above the hips. So I have the shoes, and more than one Couch-to-5K app on the phone, and here it is winter and I barely want to get on Zwift, much less go outside. I feel ya, wanting to do something else. I got nuthin except support and good vibes for ya (and maybe I'll return to this thread for some inspiration....)
Old 01-26-23, 03:06 PM
seypat

Thanks

4:05 would be my qualifying time. I understand this to be around VO2 of 30 ml/kg pace if what I read is correct or maybe zone 2 for 4 hours or about 9:20 miles. Presumably I should be able to do below 4 hours. Of course none of the Townies bothered with qualifying back in the day. 4:05 qualified 11/12 past races and 3:57 qualified 12/12, so, I would target 3:55 and sub 9 minute miles overall if that makes sense.

Thanks

Well, if you're serious, I'll give you a brief rundown of the 3 BQ races I have experience with:

MCM is the people's marathon. Big time with lots of energy around the event. Logistics can be difficult because of the big city. Nice course, relatively flat. Can still be hot there even in October. Overall experience is good. They moved the package pick up back to the Armory this past year. Logistics for getting your packet are not very good.

Richmond is billed as the friendliest marathon. Good size, not too small or big. Pretty, scenic course, relatively flat. Enthusiastic crowds. Usually good weather, but can be cold, hot or in between. Most years, you're running in the 40s to 50. The city/area does a good job of putting on the event. Package pickup is not close to downtown where the race is held. Without a car you'll have to Uber it.

The Shamrock in VA Beach is a big, rolling St. Patrick's Day party! You better like the color green. Flat course except for an overpass you go over on the way out/in. Course is not very exciting. You do run through Fort Story and on the boardwalk along the beach/ocean. Awesome after party. The weather there in March can be hit or miss. It's either nice and sunny, or rainy, windy and F-N cold!

Last edited by seypat; 01-26-23 at 03:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.