Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Maxle comes loose on rides

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 06:31 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

My rear maxle gets loose on every ride. I've got it on very tight and after a bit of riding I can feel it loosening up b/c the shifting gets wonky.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Old 02-05-23, 07:26 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Yes, get an internal cam skewer, like Campy or Shimano, keep it lubricated and do it up correctly; the lever should leave an impression on the heel of your hand if it is tight enough..
Those external cam skewers like yours do not generate as much holding force as the internal cam kind.
Both types need to be tightened correctly to work properly.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-05-23, 07:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Here is one of many instructional videos on YouTube describing proper quick-release use.

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-05-23, 09:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Maxles are not the common QR skewers that have been suggested. I have to admit that my experience with the modern through axle based systems is lacking. I know that some TAs can interchange and some are very dropout dependent.

Lyle- You say it's loosening up and that you can tell by the shifting. When this happens does the rear wheel flop about inside the frame, like a loose bearing adjustment would do? Have you looked carefully at the guide pulley and the cog it's suppose to be below to see if that alignment (what some will call the SIS adjustment) is centered and good? Is the Maxle's lever also loose in its engagement tension?

There are other possibilities like an axle end cap or cassette lockring issue that can affect shifting after a while. We assume you have checked out that common cable condition issues are not present, have you? With so little info... If your problem continues to be a problem, and you can't figure it out, I suspect NYC has at least one good shop that could help with their expertise. Andy
Old 02-05-23, 10:03 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Are you using the locking lever like a wing nut and just screwing the axle in with it or are you doing it correctly and snuging the axle in and then camming over the lever? Like a qr skewer, it is possible to install thru axles incorrectly.
Old 02-05-23, 07:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Make sure everything else is properly torqued and installed and then if the skewer is being done up correctly and still coming loose maybe try a different axle Robert Axle Project makes some great stuff and if that one keeps coming loose I would use a mild threadlocking compound or better yet figure out the issue with the frame and the threading within.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-23, 01:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Since many haven't picked up on the fact, this is a thru-axle of sorts. Not a QR or skewer.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/ax-ult-mxlr-a1

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/do...ser-manual.pdf
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-06-23, 02:02 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I don't know ... the dropouts on that bike look sufficiently tight that the shifting wouldn't (shouldn't) be affected by a loose 'quick release'. Moreover, that axle has seen some abuse. What about the drive side? Has there been any trauma to the drivetrain that we should know about?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-07-23, 07:39 AM
lyle.coop

Thanks for all the replies.

The wheel definitely gets loose after some riding. Whenever I stop, I tighten the axle and the wheel feels firm and the shifting improves. This gets undone after a mile or so. So I don't think it's a rear derailleur adjustment issue. The cable is new, the jockey wheel is centered under the cassette ring, etc. The cassette was installed to the proper torque.

I did a couple of things that may resolve the issue. I'll test it out this weekend on the trails.
  • I lubed up the thru-axle's threads and shaft. They didn't appear to be dry but the lube maybe got me an extra quarter turn.
  • There is a set screw on the maxle that needs to be tightened. It operates on clicks. Prior to this post I had tightened it a few clicks. I turned it one more click and when locking the lever down, it definitely leaves an imprint on my hand.
Red arrow points to the set screw on the maxle.

Old 02-07-23, 09:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
You might contact SRAM/RockShox support about it. Seems like an axle of theirs coming loose would get their lawyers worried.
Old 02-07-23, 10:54 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
... There is a set screw on the maxle that needs to be tightened. It operates on clicks. Prior to this post I had tightened it a few clicks. I turned it one more click and when locking the lever down, it definitely leaves an imprint on my hand.Red arrow points to the set screw on the maxle.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Since many haven't picked up on the fact, this is a thru-axle of sorts. Not a QR or skewer.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/ax-ult-mxlr-a1

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/do...ser-manual.pdf
My bike came with the newer Maxle Iride01 linked to above, which does not have a set screw on the lever end. I can remove the Maxle, press down on the lever end, and rotate the lever relative to the number markings. The purpose of doing this is to position where the lever ends up pointing when the Maxle is tightened and closed, so that the lever does not accidentally get opened when riding. I suspect that the set screw on the older Maxle serves the same purpose.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-07-23, 11:26 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Lyle, my rear Maxle does the exact same thing. As you mentioned, it's quickly noticed because the shifting gets a little wonky.

The only thing I found to fix this issue is to tighten down that allen bolt that you mention after you cinch down the lever. This works fine me, but it also means I have to loosen the allen bolt when I remove the wheel.

Last edited by mtnbud; 02-07-23 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 02-08-23, 05:07 AM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by mtnbud
Lyle, my rear Maxle does the exact same thing. As you mentioned, it's quickly noticed because the shifting gets a little wonky.

The only thing I found to fix this issue is to tighten down that allen bolt that you mention after you cinch down the lever. This works fine me, but it also means I have to loosen the allen bolt when I remove the wheel.
Interesting. Your fix would work fine for me, b/c its not like I'm taking my rear wheel off all the time.

I'm going to try my current fix and if it doesn't work, I'll just tighten that allen bolt.

Is this a known issue? I wonder if SRAM will replace the axle? It's kind of a pain b/c you can't contact SRAM directly. You have to take it to a bike shop, leave the axle, bike shop will call SRAM, etc etc. And I doubt they will warranty an axle that's 6-7 years old.
Likes For lyle.coop: