Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

pickup truck intentionally hits bicyclist on Old La Honda Road today (March 30)

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 02:59 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

CHP report is a little vague. Anyone have more details?
Report is dated 12:52pm today (March 30).
https://www.cyclelicio.us/chp/bike-GG...30GG01231.html
Old 03-30-13, 05:56 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Wow that road? Especially on a Saturday, aren't there usually a ton of riders on that road? What, did the driver choose which one he'd run down? He had to have gone around a lot more before and after he hit one of them. There's a lot of missing info here.
Old 03-30-13, 06:10 PM
knotty
Lost in Nostalgia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't there a article a while back about someone targeting bikes in that area?
Old 03-30-13, 09:47 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
****ing ***** ass driver. I hope he dies a horrible and slow death.
Old 03-30-13, 11:47 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cycleicious has some more info: https://www.cyclelicio.us/2013/hit-ru...onda-march-30/
Old 03-31-13, 09:07 AM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I pray for a full recovery physically and emotionally for the cyclist and that they soon return to the life affirming sport they love.
There are voices of good and evil in this world, the pick up driver showed which side he listens to.
Justice will be his, be it in this world or...
Old 03-31-13, 10:23 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Latest info is that the crash location was La Honda Road (Hwy 84) near the intersection with Old La Honda Road. Bicyclist was riding west, down the hill.

Last edited by johnny99; 03-31-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-31-13, 11:03 AM
SClaraPokeman

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Sounds like the driver was harassing the rider before clipping him/her with the sideview mirror. Fairly extensive upper body injuries according to the Cycleicious report. I don't really want to add another device to my handlebar, but this makes me think more and more about a Go-Pro. My theory on these incidents is that it's extreme jealously that creates all the hostility.

I really have no idea what I'd do if someone in a pickup starts trailing me with homicidal intent when I'm going downhill at 30 mph on a 19lb. vehicle. That's a pretty vulnerable situation.

BTW does anyone have a followup on what happened to the driver who hit the two cyclists in the Berkeley hills who was arrested after being filmed on a Go-Pro?

Old 03-31-13, 12:13 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Simply road rage--too many drivers think we are in their way and have no patience!

A "GoPro" is not a bad idea--unfortunately it does not prevent these deadly situations!
Old 03-31-13, 12:48 PM
kardar2

Bikes: Giant trance II MTB, Centurion Accordo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm I wish I knew where this was...... This why I hate it when a poster don't put what town they are from. Well I know that road ain't around here.
Old 03-31-13, 01:46 PM
dalameda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kardar, google does a great job of identifying locations. If you were to type in la honda and cycling you would find a bunch of hits. I have also found it easy to type in a road name and "mapmyride" or "ridewithgps" to get a map of the locale with elevation and everything you would need. In this case the link in the OP states Redwood city. As for the pick-up truck driver, I hope he gets the appropriate justice (I envision going to hell and being slapped upside the head with a mirror ever minute for eternity would just about do it.)
Old 03-31-13, 02:11 PM
c0lnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last time I got into it with a car I just sat up till he moved on...not worth getting into it with a driver that things you don't belong on the road imo. Be careful out there.
Old 03-31-13, 02:21 PM
kardar2

Bikes: Giant trance II MTB, Centurion Accordo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalameda
kardar, google does a great job of identifying locations. If you were to type in la honda and cycling you would find a bunch of hits. I have also found it easy to type in a road name and "mapmyride" or "ridewithgps" to get a map of the locale with elevation and everything you would need. In this case the link in the OP states Redwood city. As for the pick-up truck driver, I hope he gets the appropriate justice (I envision going to hell and being slapped upside the head with a mirror ever minute for eternity would just about do it.)
Thanks
Old 03-31-13, 03:08 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kardar2
hmm I wish I knew where this was...... This why I hate it when a poster don't put what town they are from. Well I know that road ain't around here.
The OP included a link to the CHP report, which has the location of the CHP office. Should be real easy to figure out the rest from there.
Old 03-31-13, 04:36 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How could a cyclist be holding up anyone on a downhill? In my old Wrangler, I worry about getting hit from behind by a cyclist on those hills. Driver is just a rear-end head.
Old 04-01-13, 08:42 AM
SClaraPokeman

I've not seen any other reports on this incident and while I don't want to cast aspersions, I was wondering if there are any witnesses to corroborate the rider's story (or physical evidence--such as a piece of a mirror).
Old 04-01-13, 05:40 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Latest info is that the crash location was La Honda Road (Hwy 84) near the intersection with Old La Honda Road. Bicyclist was riding west, down the hill.
The location is very confusing. This statement makes it seem like it was on the main Highway 84, near the west end of "west" OLH, but the second link shows it at Skyline (Hwy 35) and OLH. It still seems like there's missing info. There are SO many riders on the roads around there, especially on a weekend, why would this driver "choose" this rider to hit? I'm not saying the rider provoked the driver (it doesn't matter what anyone on a bike does to you, you can't try to kill them with your car!!!), but it just seems there's more to this story. I guess I'm just hoping this was more of an accident than intentional...a psychopath with a truck on those roads is very bad news to the multitudes of riders out there.
Old 04-02-13, 01:28 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Redwood City is not the incident location, but the location of the CHP station
Old 04-09-13, 01:09 PM
SClaraPokeman

I’m wondering if anyone has heard any additional information about the accident. It’s truly unsettling if there is someone out there in a pickup who is willing to maim because he has issues with cyclists.
However, I’m trying to look at this from the perspective of a traffic investigator. What evidence is there that things happened as they were reported by the rider? I was taking west 84 from west OLH to La Honda on a semi regular basis two or three summers ago and I recall that the riding got pretty turbulent in places past the red farmhouse. I could see potentially losing control of a bike there at 30+ mph (and I believe that a NYT writer did describe his experience of doing just that [and how the accident data was recorded on his Garmin] a couple years back).
I know that some people ride uninsured (a really bad idea), would there be a motivation for them in the case of an injury accident to fabricate a story so that uninsured motorist coverage from their auto policy might pay medical claims? Or maybe simply because of embarrassment of crashing solo?
Old 04-09-13, 11:15 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually , the NYT reporter was traveling eastbound not westbound. I'm pretty sure his incident (no car was involved, iirc) was just after a left hand corner where there's a convex mirror at a driveway they comes in on the right as you're descending. This is near the top before the right hairpin turn to the right that used to have bad pavement but was fixed as part of the repaving that was done in the past year or so.
Old 04-12-13, 12:14 AM
msincredible
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
How could a cyclist be holding up anyone on a downhill? In my old Wrangler, I worry about getting hit from behind by a cyclist on those hills. Driver is just a rear-end head.
I get held up behind cyclists all the time going downhill on 84. Not driving anything nimble either.
Old 04-12-13, 01:09 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by msincredible
I get held up behind cyclists all the time going downhill on 84. Not driving anything nimble either.
Well yeah, but you know how to drive.
Old 04-12-13, 10:26 AM
scrubbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And there is a wide variety of descending skills on the bikers going down 84. I get passed by cars and bikes. I think my best time down that hill is about 6:40 or so.