Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a big fat seat on their 20" folder?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 01-23-18, 11:58 AM
Weeshan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I rode a non folding bike, I had a big cushy seat like the cloud 9 cruiser seat.

Im just wondering how ridiculous a big cushy seat would look on a 20" folder?

Anyone have any pics?
Old 01-23-18, 02:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Nope.. go to the web for your saddle picture needs.

As typical My LBS has a display wall of various saddles, that new bike buyers and other customers buy,

and there is a discount box of 'take off ' saddles that are new, but the bike buyer wanted something else, off that same wall ..

My butt is fatter but my pelvis has not changed in 40 years so I still use a similar saddle on those old bikes..

sitting more upright on my Brompton, I got one of their saddles, from a batch they ordered from Fizik..
Old 01-23-18, 03:02 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Whatever saddle you want just fit it and forget. It's one of the customisations you expect on a bike, not everyone changes the saddle on a new bike but a good percentage do. Don't forget to get the tyre pressure just right as well so it gives a suspension effect too to increase comfort. I know that sounds obvious but I've seen people who just ramp up to the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tyre with no consideration for rider weight.
Old 01-23-18, 05:11 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
...I've seen people who just ramp up to the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tyre with no consideration for rider weight.
How does rider weight affect the pressure you choose? (I hope you're not going to say heavy riders must use less pressure as it adds up or something like that... )
Old 01-23-18, 08:11 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you get a saddle that properly supports your sit bones, with or without a cutout as needed, you don't need all that padding. That is why Brooks saddles are so popular. Consider a properly fitted minimally cushioned saddle and add a thudbuster if you need suspension.
Old 01-23-18, 09:28 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
+1
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Sa - So
A Comfortable Bicycle Saddle
Leather Saddles
Old 01-23-18, 10:36 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mine has a Brooks Pro which is bigger and fatter than the saddle on my other bikes - does that count?
Old 01-24-18, 02:45 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I normally use a fairly narrow saddle for my road bikes, but I put a Brooks B67 on our Dahon. It is wider and has springs for a bit of suspension. It works well for the upright riding position. I would not use a big padded saddle, but every butt is different.
Old 01-28-18, 02:52 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
How does rider weight affect the pressure you choose? (I hope you're not going to say heavy riders must use less pressure as it adds up or something like that... )
No heavy riders need more pressure and lighter riders need less. Isn't it something like 15% widening of the tyre, i.e. 7.5% per side as you look down between rider off and on the bike? Obviously a very rough guide but you are aiming for some give in the tyre but not too much. This gives optimal grip as well as suspension effect. Obviously a simple test of applying your weight quickly to the bike while stationary to see how the tyres respond to mimic road bumps etc is effective too. Many very heavy riders exceed the stated pressure on the sidewall of the tyre slightly in order to get the right suspension effect and quality of the tyres and tubes becomes more critical for heavy riders. Although saying that some of the most expensive tyres can be the worst tyres for heavy riders if they have pursued speed and lightness in their design philosophy.

Personal preference comes into it too. A lighter rider may prefer higher pressures for less rolling resistance over comfort but heavier riders should always ensure the tyre pressure is ample so the tyres don't bottom out and get damaged. Not forgetting running tubes at higher pressure often means air leakage is higher and needs more frequent pumping. Same as those ultra thin road bike tyres that have recommendations to pump up the pressure every day where as a low pressure mountain bike tyre could be good for a week or so. So heavy guys have to get the pump out more often