Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano di2 battery drain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 02:57 AM
veym

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,
I have a nasty problem with my Shimano Ultra DI2 system.
Thanks in advance for your help/feedback.

GROUP : ULTEGRA DI2 - 2018

SYMPTOMS:
DI2 group was perfectly working for almost 4 years (25.000 Km).
Few months ago the battery started to discharge EVEN when not using the bike at a pace of approximatively 5 to 10% per day.
I bought a brand-new battery, and the system is still discharging in about 10 days.
I checked the firmware version of all components with the e-tube application and made sure the latest firmware versions were installed on all components. Same problem …

Then I started to disconnect each component, one after the other as follows:

- All components connected except rear derailleur -> battery still draining

- All components connected except the front derailleur ->battery still draining

- All components connected except left shifter -> battery still draining

- All components connected except right shifter -> NO DRAIN

I then checked the cable between the 2 shifters and also used different cable slots (3 per shifter) on the shifters and the battery still drains if I connect the right shifter. The right shifter is connect via 1 cable to the left shifter and the left shifter is connected to the junction box.

What could cause the problem?

I use 1 junction box located in the frame close to the bottom bracket. Could this ione be the problem?
I do not want to buy a new right shifter if the problem is due to another cause.
I also gave my bike to a bike shop and they could not find the problem …
​​​​​​​Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-21-21, 03:33 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by veym
-All components connected except right shifter -> NO DRAIN
Based on your troubleshooting, it is likely you’ve found the culprit

You mentioned taking it to shop, did they use the diagnostic tool (not the charging brick that comes with the bike that also allows connection a PC, but the PC link that permits higher level diagnostics)? Regardless, it sounds like there is a short in one of the components that is causing a continual draw on the battery, which based on your troubleshooting seems to be the right shifter.

Maybe TerryDi2C who maintains a very helpful website called Better Shifting has some ideas.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-21-21, 10:26 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
With the expense and non-availability of parts, I'd first use a SM-PCE02 to re-flash the latest firmware into that shifter.
The regular charger can't perform that function.

Post where you are, who knows you might find a local friendly SM-PCE02 owner.
Personally, I like Hazy IPA
BTW the SM-PCE02 does not plug into the charging port. It is attached via an E-Tube wire.
So if you're able to watch in a store, you can tell if they use one.

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 12-21-21 at 10:31 AM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 12-26-21, 02:03 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
With the expense and non-availability of parts, I'd first use a SM-PCE02 to re-flash the latest firmware into that shifter.
The regular charger can't perform that function.

Post where you are, who knows you might find a local friendly SM-PCE02 owner.
Personally, I like Hazy IPA
BTW the SM-PCE02 does not plug into the charging port. It is attached via an E-Tube wire.
So if you're able to watch in a store, you can tell if they use one.

Barry
Actually!

You can also do this using the charger (SM-BCR2) and E-Tube Project 4.0.4.
Note that you cannot always recover 'corrupted' units using the BCR2, but ETP 4.0.4 lets you rewrite firmware to it .
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 12-26-21, 02:37 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Oooops,
There I stood……… Corrected (again)

🙂

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 12-26-21, 02:43 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Haha, it's a relatively new functionality.. it definitely wasn't possible using the older E-Tube versions ;-)
Old 12-27-21, 10:36 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
Actually!

You can also do this using the charger (SM-BCR2) and E-Tube Project 4.0.4.
Note that you cannot always recover 'corrupted' units using the BCR2, but ETP 4.0.4 lets you rewrite firmware to it .
This is great to know!
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-27-21, 10:42 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
And FWIW, I too have seen the battery discharge while not in use. My Ultegra Di2 system went from about 50% 6 weeks ago, to 25% yesterday. The bike was not used during that period,.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-31-21, 08:31 AM
veym

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello,
Thanks a lot for all the comments and advices I received.

After a final check of the firmware version of the right Shifter, I decided to buy a new Di2 7050 right shifter (130 Euros),
I installed it 6 days ago with the existing cables and ... battery full 100%. Problem fixed.

I am surprised by the fact that a Shimano DI2 Ultegra shifter can fail after 4 years of usage? It was operating 100% ok but was also draining the battery !???
Likes For veym:
Old 12-31-21, 02:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
After a final check of the firmware version of the right Shifter, I decided to buy a new Di2 7050 right shifter (130 Euros),
I installed it 6 days ago with the existing cables and ... battery full 100%. Problem fixed.

I am surprised by the fact that a Shimano DI2 Ultegra shifter can fail after 4 years of usage? It was operating 100% ok but was also draining the battery !???
The right shifter is generally used much more frequently than the left, so probably an electrical short caused by wear and tear?
Old 01-04-22, 12:39 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

I am surprised by the fact that a Shimano DI2 Ultegra shifter can fail after 4 years of usage?
Considering the small size of the internal parts, I cannot imagine they are indestructible, especially the individual components of the switches. The right side gets used far more (in my case almost exclusively with semi-synchro), and if you ride in anything but sunny skies, it potentially is being exposed to things that electricity doesn’t like (moisture). It happens, I’ve had parts fail…Di2 and mechanical. It’s a small price to pay for riding a bike, and still far less expensive than driving a car, have you seen the rapid costs on those when parts fail that we think aren’t supposed to fail?
Likes For Badger6:
Old 05-12-22, 12:13 PM
ande90

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry for bringing up this thread again.

I am discovering nearly the same issue as the veym . My group is also from 2018 and nearly the same km on the clock. The battery was suddenly starting to drain about 5-10% per day. Beside this no functional issues.

I found this thread during my research. Different to the thread starter I went directly to my LBS and thankfully they spent some time for free with my bike and found the right shifter as the possible problem. First they did a system check with the newest etube project program. A failure on the battery popped-up. After a call with the shimano support the mechanic installed an older version of the etube project and checked each component seperatly. All components were fine except the right shifter. Couldn´t believe that this "simple" component should be able to drain the battery.

To double check, I'm retesting it as the thread starter did. Fully charged and disconnected right shifter. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon with still 100%.

Short update:
Since Saturday noon, a new shifter is installed. Battery fully charged. Since then, about 8 hours of driving time with a lot of shifting. Battery still at 100% according to the Garmin. Problem was the shifter and is fixed now.

Last edited by ande90; 05-18-22 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Update
Likes For ande90: