Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 thinks in wrong cog

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Di2 thinks in wrong cog

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-22, 08:19 PM
kbreitsprecher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Di2 thinks in wrong cog

My bike won't shift into the two smallest cogs in the rear when it is in the large chain ring up front.

When I connect it to e-tube, it "thinks" it is in the smallest cog. It shifts fine into the other cogs going up and back down aside from those bottom two cogs.

I have tried the crash recovery mode, and it shifts up, hits the largest cog and stops. When it hits that cog, it thinks it is 2 from the top.

The bike shop checked the derailleur hanger and it is straight and didn't need adjustment.

I adjusted the offset to +and -16 and the best I can get it is to one away from the bottom. But I don't think that is a reasonable solution.

I would like to just reset cog it thinks its in, but I can't seem to figure this out. The local shop has never seen this and tried everything they could think of, but they can't seem to get any farther than I have.

Edit: There was a comment about a spacer on the cassette. However, The bike is using the original cassette that has never been off the wheel, and the wheel came off the bike, and until the other day it shifted flawlessly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by kbreitsprecher; 05-29-22 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Adding Information
Old 05-29-22, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Depending on your rear cassette size, Di2 when in the big front will not shift to the two smallest tooth cogs. Your bike shop guy should know that. Embarrass him me thoroughly. Unless you do have the configuration that allows shifting to all the rear cogs.

I think you have to have less than 28 teeth on your biggest rear cog for it to shift to them. You can fool it by just telling it you have the smaller cassette size in e-tube, but then you might have more slack in your chain when going to those cogs and shifting performance will be affected or maybe you'll drop a chain more often.

Knowing exactly what model Di2 you have might help too. I'm just giving you my R8070 Di2 experience off the top of my head.

EDIT.... I goofed. See my pitiful excuse in later reply!

Last edited by Iride01; 05-29-22 at 04:21 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-29-22, 02:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Depending on your rear cassette size, Di2 when in the big front will not shift to the two smallest tooth cogs. Your bike shop guy should know that. Embarrass him thoroughly.
umm, it's not the bike shop guy who should be embarrassed here.

When in the big chainring, Di2 should shift to every single cog in the cassette.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-29-22, 02:14 PM
katyjcrow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Go to bettershifting.com. This guy know everything about Di2. Yes, on the big ring, it should shift to every cog.
Likes For katyjcrow:
Old 05-29-22, 02:18 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by katyjcrow
Go to bettershifting.com. This guy know everything about Di2. Yes, on the big ring, it should shift to every cog.
Or just tag TerryDi2C in this thread. If anyone at bf has a solution, it'll be him!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-29-22, 04:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Durn, I hate it! I was stupid when I answered earlier. My feeble excuse is that I must have been delirious from the heat and sun after helping my wife rip out the early spring flowers out of the front flower beds and put in the late spring and summer flowers. We'd just finished and this was one of the first threads I read when getting in out of the sun.

Little while later when out for my 32 mile ride, on the first false flat where I like to get up as much speed as I can for a ¼ mile this thread suddenly was foremost in my mind. I panicked and thought about heading home immediately to correct my mistake, but then said fudge it. Only like little Ralphie, it wasn't fudge.

So have at it. I accept my shame willingly. Just glad most of you others must have still been out riding and I got to address my stupidness before too many saw it in all it's glory... or lack thereof!. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-29-22, 06:29 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Iride01
Durn, I hate it! I was stupid when I answered earlier. My feeble excuse is that I must have been delirious from the heat and sun after helping my wife rip out the early spring flowers out of the front flower beds and put in the late spring and summer flowers. We'd just finished and this was one of the first threads I read when getting in out of the sun.

Little while later when out for my 32 mile ride, on the first false flat where I like to get up as much speed as I can for a ¼ mile this thread suddenly was foremost in my mind. I panicked and thought about heading home immediately to correct my mistake, but then said fudge it. Only like little Ralphie, it wasn't fudge.

So have at it. I accept my shame willingly. Just glad most of you others must have still been out riding and I got to address my stupidness before too many saw it in all it's glory... or lack thereof!. <grin>
I knew it was just a silly mistake!
Old 05-30-22, 07:14 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
My silly guess, we all get one, right!

These is a spacer between the cassette and hub that just shouldn’t be there.

Barry
Old 05-30-22, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Is your bike shop an authorized Shimano dealer or service center? If so, they should be able to get on the phone with Shimano and figure this out.

For DIY, I'd go back through the DM for it's installation and make certain every i is dotted and t crossed.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...010-01-ENG.pdf

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/S...8150&type=ROAD

Chain line might be an issue here if you are installing a group set made for road on a mountain bike or vice versa.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-30-22, 09:08 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Ok, let’s go really basic

if you remove the wheel, does the RD now move as expected, all 11 positions (10 moves) ?

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-30-22, 12:46 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I also sent this via email, but thought I might as well reply to the thread as well ;-).

Sometimes a Di2 rear derailleur is just off by 2-3 gears. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. There is no real way to fix this. You cannot use E-Tube Project 3.4.5 / 4.0.4 / 5 or the SM-PCE1 / SM-PCE02 to fix this.
I don't know whether or not this is possible with E-Tube Project OEM, but since no one other than factories has access to that it doesn't really matter .

Shimano's method to fix derailleurs that are off by 2+ is to replace them. Usually they'll also replace them if it's out of warranty.

A derailleur hanger or frame that are slightly out of spec (too thick or too thin) is also a possibility... but you would then end up with a derailleur offset one gear at most. Two seems a bit excessive.

Since a bike shop has already looked at the issue it's pretty safe to say that the hanger is straight and that the derailleur is installed correctly. They should've called Shimano though, and I think that is the next step to take ;-)
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 05-30-22, 04:10 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
I also sent this via email, but thought I might as well reply to the thread as well ;-).

Sometimes a Di2 rear derailleur is just off by 2-3 gears. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. There is no real way to fix this. You cannot use E-Tube Project 3.4.5 / 4.0.4 / 5 or the SM-PCE1 / SM-PCE02 to fix this.
I don't know whether or not this is possible with E-Tube Project OEM, but since no one other than factories has access to that it doesn't really matter .

Shimano's method to fix derailleurs that are off by 2+ is to replace them. Usually they'll also replace them if it's out of warranty.

A derailleur hanger or frame that are slightly out of spec (too thick or too thin) is also a possibility... but you would then end up with a derailleur offset one gear at most. Two seems a bit excessive.

Since a bike shop has already looked at the issue it's pretty safe to say that the hanger is straight and that the derailleur is installed correctly. They should've called Shimano though, and I think that is the next step to take ;-)
Wow. That is useful info. I’m gonna file that away in case I ever have this issue.
Old 05-31-22, 09:01 PM
kbreitsprecher

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
My silly guess, we all get one, right!

These is a spacer between the cassette and hub that just shouldn’t be there.

Barry
There is no spacer in there. The cassette has never been off the wheel and it worked flawlessly before the other day.
Old 05-31-22, 09:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
This isn't a constructive comment but - every time I see this thread I think of a goofy blues song "Thinking with the Wrong Head", a state of "mind" that has happened to many men! Read those last couple of posts and "hmmm, just maybe the derailleur has gone down that path." Doe this bike have a foxy front derailleur?
Old 06-01-22, 10:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by kbreitsprecher
There is no spacer in there. The cassette has never been off the wheel and it worked flawlessly before the other day.
Details like that will always be useful to know. Though it probably wouldn't have helped explicitly, it might have changed some opinions offered.

But on the more immediate quest for a solution.... how is that shop doing getting hold of Shimano?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-15-23, 12:44 AM
_mike_breeze_

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TerryDi2C

Hi All,

I stumbled on this thread after having a similar issue recently.

I am on 11 speed Ultegra Di2. On my ride this weekend I realised that I couldn't access the two BIGGEST cogs on my cassette.

My head unit indicated that I was in the biggest cog, but the derailleur (RD-8050) was in the third biggest.

The e-tube app also thought the RD was on the biggest cog.

The system was also trying to change down beyond the smallest cog.

I took it to the LBS; and they had Shimano remote connect to the bike to investigate.

Shimano are none the wiser for why the fault occurred; but the fix was to replace the rear derailleur.

Very strange fault. The broken derailleur had down about 17,000km since new. Not exceptional, but nothing to complain about either. I'm just happy to have it be up and running again.

LBS also found you, Terry on Instagram I believe - thanks very much for your help. It was this post, and this reply which made me realise I couldn't fix this at home and needed to get to the LBS so that they could work with Shimano.

Cheers

Mike
Likes For _mike_breeze_:
Old 09-15-23, 01:13 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
There is someone on Instagram, by the way, that repairs Di2 derailleurs - @Di2_gp .

I'm still learning how to repair these, but Pawel @Di2_gp) does to quite often. He is based in the UK