Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shellac, revisited (I think)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-06-22, 05:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts

Not sure I have seen a shellac thread in ages.

But here is the twist - anybody ever used a spray-on can of shellac?

Share your shellac experiences.
I will post spray-on results after the deed is done.

the ‘59 Rickert needs a touch of old fashioned. Besides the bar tape is too yellow, so maybe the clear shellac will darken it. No chance to add a few flakes of Amber. But oh the spray on ease and lack of prep.

Old 09-06-22, 06:09 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
I wouldn't use spray shellac on bar tape. The spray will get all over everything.
Old 09-06-22, 07:33 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 779 Posts
I use spray shellac on all kinds of wood finishing projects but no reason to spray when brush-painting the same Bullseye "blond" shellac is much more controllable (on handlebar tape or hemp twine).
Or you can make your own with pure alcohol and super blond shellac flakes
Old 09-06-22, 08:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
No spray.
Brush the shellac.
Old 09-06-22, 08:18 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

As a contrarian, thank you for all the support.
Old 09-06-22, 08:23 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Even with a brush, I get all over everything.
Old 09-06-22, 11:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
For sure, if using spray, the easiest (not to mention, least-messy) method would be to remove the bar/stem combo from the bike, pull out the cables, remove the brake levers, then mask the stem and bars. A PITA, to be sure, but if not, that stuff's gonna get everywhere.

Even being careful while brushing the stuff on, you will still likely notice little dried flecks on your frame later on - it's just an occupational hazard. I used the brush technique with denatured alcohol and shellac flakes supplied by the late Scott Gabriel / rootboy :

Before:

After:

Worked as advertised and has held up well over the years. Glad I finally gave it a go - my bar finish maintenance has been reduced to pretty much zero as a result.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-06-22, 11:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Nice pics, as usual, Drillium Dude
Old 09-07-22, 06:09 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 196 Posts
I like shellacked bar tape, but it does limit your use of many modern gloves with a fabric-type palm as they can be quite slippery….That sort of negates the purpose of the bar tape…right? Leather and fake leather gloves seem to be fine, in my experience. Shellac is also very forgiving so as your shellac gets a little worn, you can always touch it up with another coat as the new shellac will solve the old and form a nice new coating. At some point we should have a discussion about another cycling related use for shellac…and one almost forgotten. That is the shellacking of tubular tires as a substitute for cement to fix the tire to the rim. It was primarily used for track tires, but also sometimes for time trial tires.

Old 09-07-22, 08:43 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
I have purchased a number of bags of shellac flakes of various colors from Wellermart. I've used it on bar tape and some wood finishing products. It isn't difficult to adjust the color to what you want (within the boundaries of chemistry and physics), and painting it over bar tape of different colors is not difficult. My experience with applying shellac to bar tape... It will eat the cheap foam brushes, but they do a reasonable job of applying it. Good brushes can be better BUT, the shellac tends to form a gazillion tiny driplets EVERYWHERE if you don't take it super-slow. Also, you need to thoroughly clean the brush immediately afterward, or face a choice between spending an hour cleaning it later, or simply pitching the brush.

Oh... pictures... Silly me.

My first attempt. Clear from a can over red bar tape. I had this on the Hetchin's I used to have, but sold it on as a frame and fork and kept this. Now on Loki - the Single-speed Viking. It could use a refresh.

I initially had this blonde blend (and the same saddle - an limited run ochre Brooks Pro) on my 1972 Competition when it was the original and scraped to crap black paint (prior to it's gugification). It is now on the "no hills, please" Argos.

The colors match a bit better in daylight.

And a darker mix on the Grand Sports. I believe I was attempting to match an older Ideale saddle with this, but have since swapped it out with a "cushier" saddle that's a couple shades different.

I have another one a few places down the build queue that I intend to treat with shellac. No telling how long it will take the glacier to arrive there though.

One last consideration to throw out there. Unless you have stems with removable face plates, bars with shellac are essentially married to the stem. Choose wisely, or face the prospect of tossing all that effort away.
Old 09-07-22, 12:05 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

since I have used it a lot over many years, but primarily for wood (furniture) finishing, allow me to share some shellac tips and trivia.

I prefer to make my own "cuts" which is just lingo for the ratio of solids to solvent and is described in "pounds" with is dry weight per a gallon of solvent.
You buy the solids in various forms (flakes, seeds or buttons are typical) and shades (orange, amber, blond or "super blond" which is what Bullseye/Zinnzer sells as "clear", but it has some straw color).
Solvent should be as close to pure water-free alcohol as you can legally obtain: 99% pure used to be typical, I try to find ethyl or methyl "wood alcohol" versus Isopropyl but these days (and in California) you take what you can get.

Shellac, even in dry form but especially when prepared in a solution, has a limited "useful life", it will eventually go bad. True even of the cans of Bullseye or the rattlecans, so mark the date you bought it on the can or jar. With experience you can judge the condition by sight and sniff before using and don't use expired shellac on anything "important". I was told rule of thumb is nothing over 6 months old for "quality" projects, but if a year old "it's expired". YMMV.
But removal or "bad shellac" with alcohol is sometimes easily done, depends on the application. Some grades of dry shellac contains a percentage of wax, the most refined grades are "de-waxed".

Brushing: we were taught to use a pure China bristle brush for shellac, nothing else (but I know conservationists who use MUCH pricier brushes, they can afford those) A really good quality China bristle brush costs a bit but the cheapest "chip brushes" are also China bristle and can work ok and be used and tossed, but expect some bristles to pullout. if you spent money on a good brush then clean it after each use with alcohol, then soap and water, rinse very well and form the bristles to air dry. Don't use a wet brush with shellac, it must be dry of water, damp with alcohol is "OK" but it will dilute the solution to some degree.

We were also taught to brush shellac out quickly, in one direction (with the grain if on wood), overlap strokes just enough to coat evenly then DON'T try to coat again until that coat is dry). Don't brush "back-n-forth". If any "sanding" is needed between coats use fine steelwool, but tack cloth that thoroughly to pick up any residue, especially steel particles. if you use synthetic scratchy-pads you won't have steel particles to worry about, but you will have plastic bits.

Shellac is considered a nearly "universal undercoating", nearly compatible with anything except it will not stick to wax! So very versatile as a inter-layer between old and new finishes and can be a barrier, too. Pigmented shellac can seal knots in wood, cover and hide stained surfaces and you can add colorants yourself to created tinted shellac. I like Mixol tints for this, myself, but don't use any solvent-based UTCs with shellac: check the labels!

Much more info than anybody asked for, I know....you're welcome!

Last edited by unworthy1; 09-09-22 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-07-22, 01:06 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
How do you remove the shellacked tape from the handlebars when you decide to change bar tape?
Old 09-07-22, 04:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclophilia
How do you remove the shellacked tape from the handlebars when you decide to change bar tape?
Using an X-Acto blade on the underside, cut lengthwise - slowly! - along the bar from clamp to end. Slowly peel back, by sections if needed, and away from the cut on both sides. Once all the tape is removed, you can use Goof-Off to remove the remaining scut or simply leave it be if you're going to tape and shellac again immediately. I only super-clean bars after removing tape if I'm putting them away in storage.

DD
Old 09-07-22, 05:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclophilia
You don't. Well, you can, as @Drillium Dude has detailed above. On the flip side, I've got 8 years on one set of shellaced cloth bars, and outside of some touch up every few years, the finish is bullet proof, and is near impossible to unwrap without the knife method.

Kinda reminds me of someone who was complaining about powder coating a frame - you can't media blast it off, unlike wet paint. Hmm, hard to remove finish, isn't that a feature?
Old 09-07-22, 07:42 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I'm looking at the amber colored bar tape on the white & blue Carlton and wondering if anyone has ever wrapped their bars with thin rope and then applied shellac ?
Old 09-07-22, 08:06 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Old 09-07-22, 08:11 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
since I have used it a lot over many years, but primarily for wood (furniture) finishing, allow me to share some shellac tips and trivia.

I prefer to make my own "cuts" which is just lingo for the ratio of solids to solvent and is described in "pounds" with is dry weight per a gallon of solvent.
You buy the solids in various forms (flakes, seeds or buttons are typical) and shades (orange, amber, blond or "super blond" which is what Bullseye/Zinnzer sells as "clear", but it has some straw color).
Solvent should be as close to pure water-free alcohol as you can legally obtain: 99% pure used to be typical, I try to find "wood alcohol" versus ISO-propol but these days (and in California) you take what you can get.

Shellac, even in dry form but especially when prepared in a solution, has a limited "useful life", it will eventually go bad. True even of the cans of Bullseye or the rattlecans, so mark the date you bought it on the can or jar. With experience you can judge the condition by sight and sniff before using and don't use expired shellac on anything "important". I was told rule of thumb is nothing over 6 months old for "quality" projects, but if a year old "it's expired". YMMV.
But removal or "bad shellac" with alcohol is sometimes easily done, depends on the application. Some grades of dry shellac contains a percentage of wax, the most refined grades are "de-waxed".

Brushing: we were taught to use a pure China bristle brush for shellac, nothing else (but I know conservationists who use MUCH pricier brushes, they can afford those) A really good quality China bristle brush costs a bit but the cheapest "chip brushes" are also China bristle and can work ok and be used and tossed, but expect some bristles to pullout. if you spent money on a good brush then clean it after each use with alcohol, then soap and water, rinse very well and form the bristles to air dry. Don't use a wet brush with shellac, it must be dry of water, damp with alcohol is "OK" but it will dilute the solution to some degree.

We were also taught to brush shellac out quickly, in one direction (with the grain if on wood), overlap strokes just enough to coat evenly then DON'T try to coat again until that coat is dry). Don't brush "back-n-forth". If any "sanding" is needed between coats use fine steelwool, but tack cloth that thoroughly to pick up any residue, especially steel particles. if you use synthetic scratchy-pads you won't have steel particles to worry about, but you will have plastic bits.

Shellac is considered a nearly "universal undercoating", nearly compatible with anything except it will not stick to wax! So very versatile as a inter-layer between old and new finishes and can be a barrier, too. Pigmented shellac can seal knots in wood, cover and hide stained surfaces and you can add colorants yourself to created tinted shellac. I like Mixol tints for this, myself, but don't use any solvent-based UTCs with shellac: check the labels!

Much more info than anybody asked for, I know....you're welcome!
Don't throw it out! Pour it into a larger can with at least 1/2 the volume empty, then put it on the stove, and light it on fire (yes, on fire!). Using an oven mitt/pot holder, swirl occasionally, until it thickens and begins to smell like caramel apples. Snuff with a tight metal lid, and allow to cool. Pour into an airtight vessel/bottle.

You've just made burnt shellac, which is a low tack adhesive that can be used in woodworking to join things that aren't wood or leather onto your project. Common use would be in lining a box/drawer with paper. The advantage is that it is easy to remove whatever you put on (as far as adhesives go), and is also reasonably easy to remove in conservation/restoration.
Likes For wschruba:
Old 09-07-22, 08:16 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Too bad the stem got in the way, you could have kept on going ... over the whole bike.

I'm seeing faux bamboo bike kinda possibilities here. Maybe do the brake levers next?
Rattan would be a better color match.
Old 09-07-22, 09:27 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by wschruba
Don't throw it out! Pour it into a larger can with at least 1/2 the volume empty, then put it on the stove, and light it on fire (yes, on fire!). Using an oven mitt/pot holder, swirl occasionally, until it thickens and begins to smell like caramel apples. Snuff with a tight metal lid, and allow to cool. Pour into an airtight vessel/bottle.

You've just made burnt shellac, which is a low tack adhesive that can be used in woodworking to join things that aren't wood or leather onto your project. Common use would be in lining a box/drawer with paper. The advantage is that it is easy to remove whatever you put on (as far as adhesives go), and is also reasonably easy to remove in conservation/restoration.
Sounds half-crazy but that's trivia I never heard of! Thanks for the tip (I hope!)
I think a good idea to keep the fire extinguisher close at hand when you try this at home...
Old 09-07-22, 11:26 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
Like Drillium Dude, USAZorro and others, I too have started mixing my own in small batches. All products, even in a sealed can, have a shelf life and the ability to retain water, ruining the product. Mixing in a small batch with denatured alcohol or food grade (I use Everclear!) to reduce the fumes, is perfect for a small batch that you have control over for both color and shellac/alcohol ratio. It stays good for 6-months. I never feel bad about throwing out 1/2 a cup of shellac when I used to have to dump 3/4 of a can of tainted Bullseye.
Old 09-08-22, 06:54 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
I hate cleaning brushes and could see that given the way the shellac wears on my bikes I could easily mask the shifters and bar end plugs, spray outside with a mask on me and I still would not do it.
Old 09-08-22, 08:05 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 756 Posts
Timely thread! I'm 5 or so coats in with the bars on my Peugeot tandem rehab... Clear over Newbaum's dark brown & hemp twine.

Old 09-08-22, 10:07 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

But here is the twist - anybody ever used a spray-on can of shellac?

Share your shellac experiences.
I use spray-on shellac on my cowboy hat.

It makes a mess.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 09-08-22, 10:19 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 188 Posts
I’m writing this as I’m looking at a smoke filled Auburn, CA sky

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Sounds half-crazy but that's trivia I never heard of! Thanks for the tip (I hope!)
I think a good idea to keep the fire extinguisher close at hand when you try this at home...
More like try it in the back yard away from flammable vegetation.
Old 09-08-22, 11:18 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
As a contrarian, thank you for all the support.
I think you're going to spend more time masking than you'd save in brush vs spraying. On the other hand, you already have the spray.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.