Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 09-27-22, 11:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Got stuck behind this one person for most of the ride this morning. Whyfi is familiar, but I will elaborate for the rest of y’all. Pedal pedal pedal coast pedal pedal pedal coast pedal pedal coast pedal coast pedal pedal pedal pedal coast.

Worst part, this partcular person will speed up “catch up” to the bike enfront when he pedals and then coast to not over take. It’s a constant surge throughout the whole ride, unless the said person is pulling. It’s very annoying to follow. I did everything I could to prevent myself from slowing down every 3 seconds. I don’t know how no one has said anything to this person. I feel like still too much of a noob in the group to say anything but sheesh, someone needs too.
Ugh. A few times someone came on a Thursday evening training ride I used to to do decades ago. You described riding style perfectly. Pedal until she got close to the wheel in front than coast until she dropped back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

During at least one ride I got stuck right behind her on an MUP we took to get back into the city. The group was too large for me to try to pass safely. I finally got so sick of her behavior that I dropped back and let some people behind me go ahead. I seem to recall saying something to her during another ride.
Old 09-27-22, 12:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9518 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I had a similar experience. Went on a whale watching trip with friends, and I was perfectly fine within the SF Bay. When we passed the Point Bonita Lighthouse, I started to feel overdressed. Then the neck on my sweater seemed too tight. Then it was clear I was getting seasick.

Then somebody THOUGHT they saw a spout, so they decided to run the boat in circles, slowly.

Then I DID get seasick, but there was no "run up on deck and puke over the rail", because the first deck was completely enclosed and the second deck was half enclosed, so if you puked from there you'd be decorating the windows on the lower deck. So, I had to sit as close to the center of the first deck as possible with a barf bag. I remember thinking, "If the boat sinks now, I might die, but at least I won't feel like this anymore."

As we headed back in, as soon as we passed Point Bonita, I immediately felt better and within a few minutes I felt completely fine. On other trips on the Bay, I've never had any problem.
The boat I was on was a trawler type with a single deck, hence throwing up overboard was preferred. Some would call it chummin.

The kids and wife were laughing because I never get sea sick and always told them that it was just in their heads.

When we did the USVI charter this year, I was the only one on board without some type of sea sickness patch or med. No queasiness whatsoever even though it got a bit "sporty." Granted, that's not truly blue water sailing where you can't see land. It really helps me to be doing something like steering the boat or trimming sails.
Old 09-27-22, 12:05 PM
Mojo31
-------

I believe my sister's house is right under the "2" at 8 AM Thursday.
Hope she leaves soon.
Old 09-27-22, 12:07 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ugh. A few times someone came on a Thursday evening training ride I used to to do decades ago. You described riding style perfectly. Pedal until she got close to the wheel in front than coast until she dropped back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

During at least one ride I got stuck right behind her on an MUP we took to get back into the city. The group was too large for me to try to pass safely. I finally got so sick of her behavior that I dropped back and let some people behind me go ahead. I seem to recall saying something to her during another ride.
Lol, I think I do that when riding with my wife, and following her wheel. Of course, it's just the two of us, and she is just slower than I am, and there is no one else around to irritate.
Old 09-27-22, 12:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Lol, I think I do that when riding with my wife, and following her wheel. Of course, it's just the two of us, and she is just slower than I am, and there is no one else around to irritate.
Now that I have tried to remember it more, I think the people behind me were giving me heat. I had to explain to them that it wasn't me causing the problem.
Old 09-27-22, 12:22 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13635 Post(s)
Liked 4,434 Times in 2,457 Posts
I believe my sister's house is right under the "2" at 8 AM Thursday.
Dad is apparently under the "3" on the coast. He reports that everything is battened down and ready.

My nearby cousin is under the "2".
Old 09-27-22, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

The boat I was on was a trawler type with a single deck, hence throwing up overboard was preferred. Some would call it chummin.
Way back in '91 I went on a party fishing boat out of Wildwood, NJ with some friends. It stormed heavily during the 90 min. drive there, but it was supposed to stop before we wnet out at 8 a.m. It did, but it remained cloudy and very windy. I was fine as the boat moved through the Cape May channel and into the bay. But when we stopped to fish and the boat started rocking I got horribly ill. I chummed what felt like gallons. It was an 8 hr. trip. At one point I considered faking heart trouble to get them to take the boat back in. Even some experienced guys who had their own rods, food and beer put their heads down and didn't fish. My GF felt like crap, but my four other companions were fine. One guy's dad had been a merchant marine. He slept pretty much the entire trip. I finally got my self together and managed to fish for maybe 2 hrs. Landed two flounder. They were both under the size limit and had to be thrown back.
Old 09-27-22, 12:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Got stuck behind this one person for most of the ride this morning. Whyfi is familiar, but I will elaborate for the rest of y’all. Pedal pedal pedal coast pedal pedal pedal coast pedal pedal coast pedal coast pedal pedal pedal pedal coast.

Worst part, this partcular person will speed up “catch up” to the bike enfront when he pedals and then coast to not over take. It’s a constant surge throughout the whole ride, unless the said person is pulling. It’s very annoying to follow. I did everything I could to prevent myself from slowing down every 3 seconds. I don’t know how no one has said anything to this person. I feel like still too much of a noob in the group to say anything but sheesh, someone needs too.
Paul sucks.

Are we a little elitest?
Not in the least bit. I've been stuck behind the same guy on rides out there. It throws the entire group behind him out of whack. He needs to be yelled at. Like, seriously.
Old 09-27-22, 12:38 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Now that I have tried to remember it more, I think the people behind me were giving me heat. I had to explain to them that it wasn't me causing the problem.
I was worried about this when behind the guy that bam is talking about. As the new guy, visiting from out of town, I was afraid that they'd think that I was the problem. During a break, I overheard a nearby cluster of riders talking and one said, "I think we need to tell Paul to ride on the back..." I jumped in, expressing my both my relief and my frustration.
Old 09-27-22, 01:52 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Sorry. Maybe I should have said something more like clean and check the frame regularly especially if you've ridden in gritty/wet conditions.
How about wrap effected area with electrical tape before putting the bag on?
Old 09-27-22, 01:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts

One of the most important factors in being a skilled pack rider is being aware of how your actions effect the people around you, especially the rider immediately behind you. It sounds like Paul hasn't learned this part yet. I've certainly been around my share of Pauls.
Old 09-27-22, 01:56 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I feel fine.
it's the end of the world as we know it!
Old 09-27-22, 01:59 PM
Mojo31
-------

Dad is apparently under the "3" on the coast. He reports that everything is battened down and ready.

My nearby cousin is under the "2".
Are they hunkerin down or hittin the road?
Old 09-27-22, 02:18 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13635 Post(s)
Liked 4,434 Times in 2,457 Posts
Are they hunkerin down or hittin the road?
Hunkered down.
Old 09-27-22, 02:37 PM
Mojo31
-------

Hunkered down.
Our friends hunkered down after getting stuck on St. Thomas during Hurricane Irma. They said, "Never again!"
Old 09-27-22, 02:57 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
I keep my bikes pretty clean, I’m not too worried about it. Only using it on the Madone, the other bikes will get the saddle bag. Interestingly enough, it wasn’t even noticed until I pointed it out today.
Old 09-27-22, 03:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
The adhesive in most tapes will eventually penetrate the paint and at the least cause a blemish.

I see a lot of these type bags with straps around a painted tube so people evidently either don't care or haven't had any problems. But I've seen and experienced abrasion on painted seat posts from a seat bag strap. Wouldn't want that on my precious top tube paint.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-27-22, 03:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
I worked in a dealer shop that was an old bus depot. It was built like a Quonset hut with almost no ventilation. I measured 130 degrees in there near the sun exposed wall, so miserable with the exhaust of the cars running in there. If that wasn't bad enough, they had an engine steam cleaner in there which ran on kerosene, or diesel #1. When that thing was running it made my eyes burn and even stung my sinuses. Someone reported it to OSHA, or somebody, and they made them stop using it. My boss thought it was me but it wasn't. He insisted it was harmless, but he was never in there while it was running,

The best thing to happen to that building was the 1994 earthquake which caused part of it to collapse and it was condemned. They moved me into one of the surviving buildings. I went from having 5 stalls to 1 stall but I was right by the door and got even more ventilation from a hole in the wall courtesy of the earthquake.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-27-22, 03:46 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
My wife's Emonda SL7 is in the shop being assembled. Hopefully, she can pick it up tomorrow.

Old 09-27-22, 03:49 PM
bampilot06

The adhesive in most tapes will eventually penetrate the paint and at the least cause a blemish.

I see a lot of these type bags with straps around a painted tube so people evidently either don't care or haven't had any problems. But I've seen and experienced abrasion on painted seat posts from a seat bag strap. Wouldn't want that on my precious top tube paint.
When you put it that way, I might put a sock around the tube and the strap around the sock, so it’s not in direct contact with the frame.
Old 09-27-22, 03:49 PM
bampilot06

My wife's Emonda SL7 is in the shop being assembled. Hopefully, she can pick it up tomorrow.

So stoked for her!!
Old 09-27-22, 03:53 PM
WhyFi

When you put it that way, I might put a sock around the tube and the strap around the sock, so it’s not in direct contact with the frame.
And that's less objectionable than a small saddle bag?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-27-22, 03:54 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And that's less objectionable than a small saddle bag?
You won’t see the sock.
Old 09-27-22, 04:00 PM
WhyFi

You won’t see the sock.
I've been on BF long enough - I can spot a sock from a mile away.
Old 09-27-22, 04:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I worked in a dealer shop that was an old bus depot. It was built like a Quonset hut with almost no ventilation. I measured 130 degrees in there near the sun exposed wall, so miserable with the exhaust of the cars running in there. If that wasn't bad enough, they had an engine steam cleaner in there which ran on kerosene, or diesel #1. When that thing was running it made my eyes burn and even stung my sinuses. Someone reported it to OSHA, or somebody, and they made them stop using it. My boss thought it was me but it wasn't. He insisted it was harmless, but he was never in there while it was running,

The best thing to happen to that building was the 1994 earthquake which caused part of it to collapse and it was condemned. They moved me into one of the surviving buildings. I went from having 5 stalls to 1 stall but I was right by the door and got even more ventilation from a hole in the wall courtesy of the earthquake.
The people who decide whether something is hazardous or not should not have a personal financial interest in it NOT being considered hazardous. Plus, maybe they should know something about the hazards. As my brother says, "OSHA regulations are written in blood and smoke."

When I was in college, Dad used to get me a job every summer at the fruit processing plant where he worked. One day, management sent a bunch of us over to help out in the truck garage, and of course we all got our hands greasy. The regulars there told us to dip our hands in lacquer thinner till they started to sting, then the grease would come right off. I did, and I still cringe when I think about it, but those guys did it at least once a day for years. I'm curious if their livers still work.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.