Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rest Day Insomnia

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rest Day Insomnia

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 07:17 AM
jesnow

Bikes: Pinarello Prince

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rest Day Insomnia

I also call this "Monday Night Syndrome":

Go hard all weekend, get in some good training, or race. Then Monday night you have trouble sleeping. I'm an insomniac anyway, but this is a different kind. At bedtime I feel fine, tired, ready to sleep, heart rate down (maybe not all the way to my RHR, 44). Then sometimes as little as 2 hours later I'm awake, overheated, heart pounding, pulse 10-20 beats high. Even when the pulse isn't elevated it feels like my heart is beating really hard, louder than usual.

Things I've tried:
Hydration: Helps a little, maybe
No alcohol on rest nights: Helps a little maybe
Lunesta: Gets me to sleep anyway
Beta blockers: Scary, and doesn't help discomfort.
Not worrying about it: It's what I've been doing.

BTW this has been going on the last 25 years -- I don't think I need a cardiologist, and I have had a thorough stress test and echogram.

Does anybody else have this problem? If I sleep poorly Monday night, I often don't fell like training Tuesday, meaning my training week is down to two days.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 06-20-12, 07:24 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jesnow
I also call this "Monday Night Syndrome":

Go hard all weekend, get in some good training, or race. Then Monday night you have trouble sleeping. I'm an insomniac anyway, but this is a different kind. At bedtime I feel fine, tired, ready to sleep, heart rate down (maybe not all the way to my RHR, 44). Then sometimes as little as 2 hours later I'm awake, overheated, heart pounding, pulse 10-20 beats high. Even when the pulse isn't elevated it feels like my heart is beating really hard, louder than usual.

Things I've tried:
Hydration: Helps a little, maybe
No alcohol on rest nights: Helps a little maybe
Lunesta: Gets me to sleep anyway
Beta blockers: Scary, and doesn't help discomfort.
Not worrying about it: It's what I've been doing.

BTW this has been going on the last 25 years -- I don't think I need a cardiologist, and I have had a thorough stress test and echogram.

Does anybody else have this problem? If I sleep poorly Monday night, I often don't fell like training Tuesday, meaning my training week is down to two days.

Thanks,

Jon
Not thumping my Bible here, but quitting drinking did more for my sleep than anything else. You may be a light drinker, so this may be moot.

I have the insomnia thinking about ways to upgrade the bike or if I should buy n+1. I don't know your medical history, but I have found that for me (after alcohol) the rest is in my mind. Clearing my mind a couple of hours before bed helps: No TV, only classical music or nature sounds. Part of it is that I'm getting old, so there's that.

Try meditation. It is free and has no ill side effects.
Likes For RT:
Old 06-20-12, 08:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
Try a little active rest? Recovery ride, walk, or stretching, core, and light upper body work. Just enough to get a little exercise without interfering with recovery.

From your history, it seems that you only have the sleeping issue if you don't exercise.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-21-12, 06:46 AM
jesnow

An ordinary recovery ride doesn't do anything. Anyway, I'm usually too hammered on Monday to get near a bike.

From the underwhelming number of "this happens to me too!" posts, it sounds like I'm pretty unusual. Which sucks.

Maybe I'm pushing my (admittedly low) limits way too hard. I remember Greg Lemond in one of his last tours complaining about not sleeping. As if it's common knowledge that when you start having sleep problems, you're past your ability to recover in one night. This would sort of square with what I've been experiencing. But you'd think that lots of people here push themselves that hard. Maybe I'm just the only one who approaches that level of self destruction on suburban group rides.
Old 06-21-12, 06:56 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My experience with behavior modification was that it took literally months for a new pattern to take, but it took discipline to maintain whatever changes you have made that are working for you. Easy part is finding what works, hard part is maintaining it.

I went from five hours at the MOST of sleep a night for about ten years until it finally caught up with me. Other lifestyle changes aside, learning how to go to sleep earlier and waking up earlier, but sleeping longer overall was very difficult, but I am here to tell you that once it takes, you will know it.

Since you have seen appropriate medical professionals already, perhaps you should try something less orthodox, like acupuncture. It helped a family member of mine with terrible morning headaches, and has done more for my sore feet than all of Western medicine combined in the past 25 years.
Old 06-21-12, 09:32 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the sleepless nights on the hard days...Once a recovery day comes, as Merlin described, I sleep soundly...
Old 06-21-12, 05:09 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Melatonin is natural.
Likes For hybridbkrdr:
Old 06-21-12, 06:06 PM
Roarau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just so I am clear, are you suggesting that after an intense few days of training you struggle to rest well? But the issue isn't persistent if you haven't done extraneous activities the past few days?

I also have trouble sleeping if I am not active enough during the day and in general if my mind is not calm. I stay away from any sort of sleep aids, or unnatural products. I've found that reducing all caffeine intake and ensuring a very healthy and consistent diet has helped quite a bit (I rarely drink).

Yoga/meditation works for me as well, or even just a quick, high tempo 15-30 minute muscle workout to get that extra energy out of my body.

Some more information about your exercise/diet habits may be beneficial.
Old 06-21-12, 06:24 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over training syndrome. I have experienced this so many times as have so many others. Your go all out during a race and / or training which stresses your body's systems. Although counter intuitive, since you would think the residual fatigue would allow luscious sleep, it works the opposite. Outside of increased conditioning, I do not think their is a truly drug free remedy. And the drug remedy sucks in the long run.
Old 06-21-12, 06:28 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"This happens to me too!"
Old 06-21-12, 07:29 PM
bike56

Bikes: Trek 1200 Felt F3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
Over training syndrome. I have experienced this so many times as have so many others. Your go all out during a race and / or training which stresses your body's systems. Although counter intuitive, since you would think the residual fatigue would allow luscious sleep, it works the opposite. Outside of increased conditioning, I do not think their is a truly drug free remedy. And the drug remedy sucks in the long run.

Yes,That's it.Over training.When I hammer really hard,or a lot of accumulated miles,It happens.It sucks because you really need sleep and the last thing your body needs is a sleepless night.The only way to avoid it is not to over train.get lots of rest days before a race or big ride
Old 06-21-12, 07:55 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ That is not over-training...That is over reaching...Over-training goes beyond sleep patterns and takes a long time to overcome...
Old 06-22-12, 08:05 AM
jesnow

OP here: I tend to agree with rbart4506 -- I have *also* overtrained from time to time, and the symptoms there are different. Especially the refusal of my heart rate to go down over many days, the overall tired feeling, drop in performance, had all that. That's why I do lots of rest days (minimum 2/week) and lots of low HR rides, especially in the early season.

I've noticed that getting old (51) has made me more prone to Monday Night syndrome, and also more sensitive to the bad effects of Alcohol and caffeine. The past week I stopped drinking beer completely (normally have a beer with dinner) and my caffeine is already limited to one cup of tea in the morning. So far no change, but only one Monday night since then. Maybe I'll go to herbal tea and see what happens.

Overreaching is good in general, it's what you're supposed to do. But rest days require the most willpower, but to *not* ride, then on Tuesday to climb back on. Bad sleep Monday night makes it harder. Getting on the bike Saturday after a Friday rest day is usually not a problem.

Sometimes Monday night my HR isn't even that elevated, but has this peculiar *thumping* feeling, even though it's in the 40's.
Old 06-22-12, 08:23 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OP here: I tend to agree with rbart4506 -- I have *also* overtrained from time to time, and the symptoms there are different. Especially the refusal of my heart rate to go down over many days, the overall tired feeling, drop in performance, had all that. That's why I do lots of rest days (minimum 2/week) and lots of low HR rides, especially in the early season.

I've noticed that getting old (51) has made me more prone to Monday Night syndrome, and also more sensitive to the bad effects of Alcohol and caffeine. The past week I stopped drinking beer completely (normally have a beer with dinner) and my caffeine is already limited to one cup of tea in the morning. So far no change, but only one Monday night since then. Maybe I'll go to herbal tea and see what happens.

Overreaching is good in general, it's what you're supposed to do. But rest days require the most willpower, but to *not* ride, then on Tuesday to climb back on. Bad sleep Monday night makes it harder. Getting on the bike Saturday after a Friday rest day is usually not a problem.

Sometimes Monday night my HR isn't even that elevated, but has this peculiar *thumping* feeling, even though it's in the 40's.
It takes much longer than a week at our age. I have spoken with local friends my age about this, and it is consistent. It's not a case of "Well, I feel sort of like it is working," it is night and day, but it takes your body time to adjust. Almost like your body doesn't believe you.
Old 06-23-12, 04:49 PM
jesnow

It does seem to get better once I've built a decent base and my RHR is down. I had it mildly friday night after a brutal killer group ride thursday evening, so maybe things are looking up.
Old 07-28-14, 12:20 AM
jesnow

It does seem to get better once I've built a decent base and my RHR is down. I had it mildly friday night after a brutal killer group ride thursday evening, so maybe things are looking up.
Here I am in the middle of a rest night 2 years later. I've raced about 30 times at the regional and state level since that last post, trained about 20,000 miles, all with modest results. But I love this sport and so who cares if I'm not on the effing podium. I'm not sitting around waiting for the lightning to strike, I'm training harder and smarter. 50+ (1-4) racing is brutally hard. Especially when you're racing against Ex-pros in the Texas heat.

But still I'm up in the night after rest day. More data points since my last set of posts:

- Caffeine and alcohol make it way worse. Cut those completely except for caf gels during races.
- Daily life stress (or its lack) has an inconsistent effect. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.
- Hydrating makes it better. Coco water, mmmmm. Any comfort drink would do I think (nonalcoholic).
- Zaleplon can be taken at night. Studies have shown that even large doses of zaleplon have worn off sufficiently
after 2 hours that test subjects could wake up and do useful work with no cognitive impairment. It's got a 45 minute
half-life in the body after it peaks. As chemical solutions go, it's about a subtle a sedative-hypnotic as you can get,
and after 2 years I'm still on the starter dose. Only very little tolerance has developed. As a hypnotic it seems to
short circuit the "Late at night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet/and a freight train running through
the middle of my head" effect. No grogginess at all in the morning, but I'm a little absent minded and forgetful
sometimes. I had *that* before all of this.

Thanks to all who've posted and anybody who has any insight or ideas about rest night insomnia please post.

Last edited by jesnow; 07-28-14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 03:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
An ordinary recovery ride doesn't do anything. Anyway, I'm usually too hammered on Monday to get near a bike.
Maybe that's part of the problem right there.

Exactly what do you mean by "I'm usually too hammered on Monday to get near a bike"?
Old 05-26-15, 01:28 PM
jesnow

Hammered=Exhausted, not drunk. I'm a pretty light drinker, most of the time. Here I am another year later, and the Monday night syndrome is a constant, among other things that rob my sleep like stress, caffeine and alcohol. I appear to be a "just plain insomniac". Melatonin seems to go along with scary short term memory issues, so I stopped that. Zaleplon works well, but I'm slowly building up a tolerance. No length or intensity of ride or race guarantees a good night's sleep. I guess I just have to learn to live with it.
Old 05-26-15, 01:32 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
melatonin screws with my mind badly.
Old 09-15-20, 11:10 AM
jesnow

I'm just reading this thread again after many years. My "Monday night syndrome" with the high heart rate and panic attack feeling was surely due to high cortisol levels from overreaching, and also overtraining. I would now (age 59) put it down to riding too hard on Saturday and not resting Sunday. With just one super hard day (eg 140km in 4.5 hours) my sleep isn't any worse than usual, but adding a *second* hard ride in a row is what puts me into "Monday night syndrome". I never completely shook that effect, but found that NO alcohol and NO caffeine helped a lot. I guess if you're feeling like that on Monday you shouldn't ride so hard Sunday, *even* if you feel good after your Saturday ride. More rest days, better hydration.
Likes For jesnow:
Old 08-29-22, 07:48 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Well this is suspicious.
Old 08-29-22, 09:17 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Well this is suspicious.
It's reached the magic 10 posts, attaining new powers. Let's see what it does next.

Old 08-29-22, 10:14 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It's reached the magic 10 posts, attaining new powers. Let's see what it does next.
Look at the previous two as well.
Old 08-29-22, 12:31 PM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506
I get the sleepless nights on the hard days...Once a recovery day comes, as Merlin described, I sleep soundly...
I'm exactly like you.
Old 08-29-22, 12:55 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I haven't really tracked the effects of exercise on sleep, so I don't have hard data. (Given that, you can conclude that exercise doesn't affect my sleep to a large degree - or, if it does, I'm not aware of it.)

For me, looking back (but, again, no tracking) I think that the quality of my sleep is lower on hard days than on rest days - but, again, not to a significant degree. Unless it has been an unusually hard day, I'm pretty sure that really hard days mean poor sleep that night.

The one thing I have noticed, however, that has a significant effect on the quality of my sleep is, unfortunately, caffeine. I am no longer able to drink caffeinated beverages more than a couple of times per week. This is a fairly recent occurrence. If you use caffeine shots during your workouts, could this be affecting your sleep? For me the effects are cumulative: I can drink a cup of caffeinated tea today and sleep OK tonight, but if I have a caffeine drink a couple of days in a row then my sleep is affected on (and after) the second night. If you do use caffeine shots during your workouts, maybe change to un-caffeinated shots for a while to see if that changes anything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.