Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Your favorite taillight under $50

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Your favorite taillight under $50

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 11:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice work & it looks like it’s below the rack platform. One of mine was once too high up & my trunk would tap it & angle it down
The one in the photo is the second one I made. The first had the light a half inch below the rack platform, but my rack top bag would sag and when I hit a bump the bag could hit it and knock it down.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-07-23, 01:49 PM
ElevatedEdge

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek Multitrack 720 (rebuild), Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I had picked up the Bontrager Flare RT Rear Bike Light for under $50 and I am happy with it. Small form factor and rechargeable - though micro USB vs USB-C.
Old 06-07-23, 08:32 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
The website for the ViZ450 says:

If that's not sufficient info, you can always try using their customer support service to ask a more detailed question. I don't recall how good their customer support is, but I think I've had good experiences.

Steve in Peoria
The potential issue I see is that the Pavé seatpost is not cylindrial but has a flat back side. It means the strap that comes with the mount may be long enough but depending upon the size and width of the mount, it may not be held securely on the flat back side of the seatpost.

Thanks for the suggestion to ask their customer support. I will send them mail tonight.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-24-23, 08:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I made a decision and bought a Cygolite Hypershot 350. I paid $51 on Amazon. It claims to put out a maximum of 350 lumens, and it’s possible to adjust that down. It will be necessary to do so when someone is riding behind me.

I chose Cygolite because I’ve had good experience with their products. I believe they’re made in USA which is pretty rare. They also have good customer service: a Hotshot taillight failed prematurely, and they said they would replace the battery. But instead, they replaced the light. Their products are made to be durable, and I’ve had a few of their products, and other than the premature battery failure — which is really understandable — I’ve had no problems.

I did consider the lights with replaceable batteries, but I’m now used to the USB charging routines and the inevitable deaths of my products. By the time this battery fails, there might be a better light I prefer.

I notice a lot of people are deluded about how visible their lights are. They hold their lights at arm’s length and see them and conclude they’re good enough. I can’t see them UNTIL I get that close. What good is that?

I’ve bought a ton of cheap lights, and I’ve gotten decent service out of a few of them, but with a name brand that has a good service department, I’m more assured satisfaction. Reviews are useless here because everyone says, “Man this light is BRIGHT!” But that’s meaningless without quantifying or comparing with something known. This light is brighter than all other taillights I’ve owned.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.