Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Need front light for night riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 08:44 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Do you talk like that to people in real life too?
When someone is being snarky? Asking if they are serious? Absolutely. Do YOU talk that way in real life? Butting into others conversation when someone has provided a lot of detail and then to make a snippy comment. You bet. His comment was rude and merely asking if he was serious isn't a problem in my real life.
Old 04-21-23, 08:51 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by clasher
I just ordered a lumintop b01 as a backup/helmet light, though I am curious to try it out for full time use. I've decided to ditch the dynamo this year, especially since I signed up for the 84h start at PBP, I hope to do less night riding. I was also gonna pick up an outbound detour to use as a main light, since I'm already carrying a powerbank it might be enough just to use the lumintop, can pick up a few extra 21700 batteries as well.
The lumintop is "ok" and make sure you order 5000 ma 21700 versions. On the 450 lumen setting, a battery will last about 5 hours. That is pretty bright. I don't trust the mount entirely and double up with a ziptie and gorilla tape.

What I found helpful is rotating it slightly in the mount to angle the cutoff downwards a touch in the left towards oncoming cars and then the right side is slightly up, which allows me to see branches that wack my face and street sign names. But the cutoff is pretty good. The width and throw are a little funky. But it has worked reasonably well aside from the fact I prefer a little more width in the near field and a different lense could achieve that like the old BT20 but for $30-40, that is a big ask.
Old 04-21-23, 11:00 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The lumintop is "ok" and make sure you order 5000 ma 21700 versions. On the 450 lumen setting, a battery will last about 5 hours. That is pretty bright. I don't trust the mount entirely and double up with a ziptie and gorilla tape.

What I found helpful is rotating it slightly in the mount to angle the cutoff downwards a touch in the left towards oncoming cars and then the right side is slightly up, which allows me to see branches that wack my face and street sign names. But the cutoff is pretty good. The width and throw are a little funky. But it has worked reasonably well aside from the fact I prefer a little more width in the near field and a different lense could achieve that like the old BT20 but for $30-40, that is a big ask.
I bought a go-pro/gps mount and a flashlight adapter to set it up like this, but I might use tie-wire instead of the elastic:
Likes For clasher:
Old 04-21-23, 11:04 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by clasher
I bought a go-pro/gps mount and a flashlight adapter to set it up like this, but I might use tie-wire instead of the elastic:
Looks really good, thanks.

I kludged something with the chunk of plastic they sent. I should get a proper setup once I figure out what bar and stem to use.
Old 04-21-23, 11:55 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
There's a bewildering amount of gps/go-pro mounts out there, seems like they make them for many kinds of setups. The flashlight adapters are ~5$ on aliexpress.
Old 04-25-23, 06:58 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I bought two Lumintop B01 lights, so I can use them on medium at the same time. I have been riding with them this spring and two lights at medium are OK to ride all night. I do like the mounts that came with the lights, very secure and let me mount the light in different positions above or below the handlebars. On the recent 400k brevet in the rain I switched to the dyno set up, because extra 21700 batteries are heavy and the B01 light beam is not as good as IQ-X light, even two of them, especially in the rain. B01 does not have the same reach as the IQ-X light. I invested in several battery lights to see if they work better than my dyno set up, but I think I will stick with dynohub and IQ-X for now.
Likes For Andrey: