Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Old 06-01-23, 06:21 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Only a topic bike nerds can enjoy beating to death.

Who cares?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 06-01-23, 06:31 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I started on friction shifters - yes I am showing my age - and there is a reason why you just don’t see them anymore - shifting while braking - shifting while climbing out of the saddle - precision - convenient location, ridiculously easy to use. But you be your own judge.
We must be around the same age. I prefer well-adjusted indexed shifting over friction. Friction doesn't require as precision in tuning as do indexed, but I've never found tuning indexed a major (or minor) problem.
Old 06-01-23, 08:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have Ultegra on one bike and it is flawless ... i am not sure if it is the cable or something else, but it is not the basic mechanism, and as you know, has nothing to do with indexed or friction or levers or brifters ... that is weird and would certainly bother me. I would suspect derailleur hanger or dropout or frame in some other way got bent.
Old 06-01-23, 08:45 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
we must be around the same age. I prefer well-adjusted indexed shifting over friction. Friction doesn't require as precision in tuning as do indexed, but i've never found tuning indexed a major (or minor) problem.

Old 06-01-23, 09:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,379 Posts
I have bar-end friction on my rain bike. I like it. I like never having to mess with it, just grab the bike and go. Number of cogs on the cassette doesn't matter, just matters if the cassette fits the hub. It's never out of adjustment. The instant it takes to tune the shift doesn't bother me. Plus I had the shifters in one of my spares boxes when I built Fred, my rain bike, taken off some bike sometime, so free. It's a triple and never having to mess with getting that precisely adjusted is also a pleasure.
Old 06-01-23, 09:50 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I feel like I time traveled back 35 years seeing this discussion

I grew up with friction shifting as a kid, got my first indexed bike when I was 12, and went back to riding friction for a while a couple years ago when the indexing on my Ultegra bar-end shifter on my commuter bike gave out after a decade - rode it like that for about 6 months before I bothered installing a fresh shifter.

IMO, indexing is obviously better in almost all situations provided the bike is maintained or the owner knows how to turn the barrel adjuster to trim the derailleur. Friction is fine too, but falls down if you want to be able to shift quickly, or if you're riding in a noisy or bumpy place where it can be hard to feel/hear if your derailleur is positioned correctly for the gear you're in. The latter was the case while commuting in the city for me. It was fine, I dealt with it, but it made me appreciate the indexing more. If I only rode on smooth quiet roads, I might have procrastinated longer before replacing the worn shifter.
Old 06-01-23, 10:32 AM
socalife

Bikes: Colnago ACR, Viner record corse, Benotto 3000, Torelli super strada

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
When riding back in the 70s it was all friction. Cables were not teflon lined yet and I lived in a rainy area and did not perform maintenance very well ( I was a stupid stoner teen). I always struggled to find every gear I wanted, especially on the next to highest speed freewheel. These were all 5 speed huret components. Recently got into vintage with a Viner from early 80s 6 speed freewheel down tube shifter. This bike was shimano 600 and I rode for a while hoping my hand would re aquire the needed muscle memory. Then I started reading the C+V forum and discovered there were indexed DT shifters back then. Found a pair on Ebay and never looked back. Riding with stop lights means being able to find a shifter in a hurry, counting clicks is easier for down shifts, however, taking hands off the bar in traffic will always be an added risk, so I see modern drive trains using brifters being safer for me.
Old 06-01-23, 12:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I started on friction shifters - yes I am showing my age - and there is a reason why you just don’t see them anymore - shifting while braking - shifting while climbing out of the saddle - precision - convenient location, ridiculously easy to use. But you be your own judge.
I "grew up" with friction also. I'm not sure, but I think the last friction bike I owned was 6 sprockets in back. I liked friction shifting but have to say indexed shifting is better for me now.

I tried friction again a few years ago when I was building up a vintage frame, with a 9 speed cassette. I could do it, but the precision involved was tricky. Regular mis-shifts, lots of ghost shifts from imprecise trimming, etc. I could have probably gotten it down, and actually could do it very well when I put an 8 speed cassette on it, but 9 seemed to be too fussy for me. I magine 10 or 11 speed friction would require very fine motor skills as well as some practice and experience. I ended up finding some Campy indexed 8 speed DT shifters anyway, and like them a lot. Love my combo brake/shift levers too.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-01-23 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-01-23, 01:43 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 814 Posts
Learned how to friction shift as a kid, haven't forgotten how, and still have friction on some of my bikes (commuter, recumbent).

I appreciate index shifting on bikes where I have a high workload, such as the tandem or the racer. I could function OK with friction in those situations (and did for years), but these days I'm glad I don't have to worry about trimming a derailleur when dealing with a stoker or in a tight pack or paceline.

That being said, one of the most annoying pieces of human-built machinery in existence is a poorly-adjusted index-shifting bike that shifts erratically, unpredictably, or not at all.

Here's a "thumbie up" from my ancient Suntour friction shifter.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-01-23, 02:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
Like most folks my age, I had a "ten speed" as a teenager, with friction shifting. I never liked taking my hands off the bars to shift, so I ended up "upgrading" my bike to stem-mounted shifters. And like a most folks my age, I stopped riding as soon as I got a drivers license.

Then 25 years ago I started riding again, and over tens of thousands of miles, I've become much better at bike handling than I was as a kid. A couple years ago I built up an old Cannondale frame I had with indexed DT shifters and found I was now completely comfortable taking a hand off the bars to shift. So I got a couple 80s bikes with DT friction shifters, and I'm fine with those, too, though I still find indexed shifting a lot easier to handle - *clik* and you're in the next gear. Sometimes a quick flick of the lever with friction shifters goes too far, and I've gone two gears.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-01-23, 03:09 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by L26
Supposedly friction shifters work better as the number of gears increase, not sure if that's true or not though.
I prefer friction, on my touring bike, but I would say that indexed works better as the number of gears increase, as in more cogs on the cassette. As you get more cogs on the cassette. like a ten speed cassette, it takes more effort to fine tune with friction. I use friction with a 9 speed, and I love it. The added benefit of friction is that it is easy to run from the small cog to the top, or top to bottom in one fell swoop.
Old 06-01-23, 03:33 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Is there dt indexed shifting? What's the deal with that?
Old 06-01-23, 03:37 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Friction shifters are fine for selecting between 3-6 gears - like a trombonist hitting the right notes. But, beyond 6 gears, the chain has to be just right, and you'd be forever tweaking the shifter to get the sweet spot after each gear change.

I still have friction shifters on my 3x6 mountain bike, and don't really notice they're not indexed (I know the gears off by heart).

However, indexed shifters are delightful in comparison. Once you've installed them on a bike, there's no going back.
Old 06-01-23, 03:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,032 Times in 3,799 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Indexed shifting was developed before dual-control levers were a thing.
Old 06-01-23, 03:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Of course! Indexed shifting predates brifters. Indexed DT shifters came out in about 1986 or so, and were available into the mid-90s. I've got bikes with 7 and 8 speed indexed DT shifters.

Old 06-01-23, 03:47 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Reliabilty is a total non-issue with modem indexed shifting. It certainly isn’t a reason to choose friction shifters.
Reliability is very good with modern STI, but they do tend to gum up with high mileage. Especially in cold weather.
Whereas downtube shifters are much more foolproof. There is little mechanism to gum up, and very little cable housing to wear out. Another advantage of DT shifting is the mechanical feel. You can really feel the gear teeth engaging with the chain.
Downtube indexed shifting is the best option option for people who want to try out DT shifting. As for friction shifting - I see no reason for that to exist anymore.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 06-01-23 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-01-23, 03:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,032 Times in 3,799 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
As for friction shifting - I see no reason for that to exist anymore.
Don't say that in the C&V section
Old 06-01-23, 04:21 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Of course! Indexed shifting predates brifters. Indexed DT shifters came out in about 1986 or so, and were available into the mid-90s. I've got bikes with 7 and 8 speed indexed DT shifters.
Interesting, would love to try some. Gotta admit brifters may be faster but dt shifting is much cooler.
Old 06-01-23, 04:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,909 Times in 2,542 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Reliability is very good with modern STI, but they do tend to gum up with high mileage. Especially in cold weather.
Whereas downtube shifters are much more foolproof. There is little mechanism to gum up, and very little cable housing to wear out. Another advantage of DT shifting is the mechanical feel. You can really feel the gear teeth engaging with the chain.
Downtube indexed shifting is the best option option for people who want to try out DT shifting. As for friction shifting - I see no reason for that to exist anymore.
I had SunTour Command on my Mooney for a few years. OK. Hands on the bars shifting. Well thought out. But my (pre internet) access to SunTour FWs dried up, I switched to SRAM FWs and suffered poorer shifting, Going back to DT friction (actually SunTour Power Ratchet) was a blessing. Now I run that shifter on one bike, Superbe top mounted on my custom and the SunTour auto-corrects on a third. That third is a race bike that came with them. Running a 7-speed Cyclone and racing triple, simple as sweet as friction shifting gets. The 9-speed custom with those nice levers, different but not far off. (Until I got this bike, I'd never ridden better friction.)

And to @icemilkcoffee's last sentence - that race bike? I just picked up a sweet wheel that came with a Dura Ace 6-speed in very useful gearing. Same 126 OLD so a drop in swap for the 7-speed FW. I might have to tweak the limit screws. And done. Cant do that with any index system I know of.
Old 06-01-23, 05:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Interesting, would love to try some. Gotta admit brifters may be faster but dt shifting is much cooler.
Until you're halfway up a sharp pitch, out of the saddle, and you bog down and need to go to a larger cog.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-01-23, 05:20 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Like many here I rode friction ten speeds when I was young.

Didn't ride for a number of years and when I started again I went through a couple of bikes with indexed shifting. Then I found a vintage ride with DT friction. It just felt right. The old feelings returned. So I only have friction bikes now. There are objective downsides, but to a solo rider not trying for PRs they really don't matter. Ride what feels good.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-01-23, 05:59 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
My previous bikes, A 2 x 5 speed road bike had downtube mounted friction shifters and 2 x 6 speed mountain bike had stem mounted friction shifters. I never had a problem with either of them. My current 3 x 7 speed comfort bike has twist grip indexed shifters. I like the indexing part, but the twist grip shifting for the 3 chainrings needs a lot of travel.

I wanted the trigger shifters but Giant used the twist grip design on my 2018 Sedona. I was expecting inadvertent shifting to be a problem, But was pleasantly surprised to see with a little experience they work quite well overall.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-02-23 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-01-23, 06:41 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
With my downtube shifters, I can choose either! That being said, I'd never choose to go friction unless I had to.
I remember my first ride on a bike with Shimano indexed downtube shifters---the pleasure of that authoritative clunk into gear after decades of the drunkard's walk of friction shifters.
Old 06-01-23, 06:51 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
In 1977 I bought a "10 speed" with friction shifters to commute. I moved a year later and didn't ride a bike again for 40 years. Comparing my bikes now to what I remember about my old 10 speed, the biggest improvement I notice in modern bikes is indexed shifting.
Old 06-01-23, 06:58 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I remember my first ride on a bike with Shimano indexed downtube shifters---the pleasure of that authoritative clunk into gear after decades of the drunkard's walk of friction shifters.
My first bike shop bike—a Centurion Sport DLX—had friction shifters. But the shop had a Centurion Prestige with 7400 Dura Ace on display. I remember reaching up and moving the lever a click or two (much to the shop owner’s wife’s consternation). It was the stuff of my imagination. I knew right then and there the Sport DLX wouldn’t be around long.

Last edited by smd4; 06-01-23 at 07:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.