Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How much shorter should the new chain be compared to the worn one?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-05-23, 05:55 PM
bikecommuter13

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My old chain is more than 0.75 but less than 1 worn using a chain tool. For the new chain length, I cut it to be less than 1 link shorter than the worn one. It seems fine when I test ride it. But I thought the chain is worn more than 1 link; If I were to cut the chain even shorter, I need to cut out two more links, that might be too short right?

Is there a rule of thumb on new chain length vs worn chain length?
Old 06-05-23, 06:02 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
My old chain is more than 0.75 but less than 1 worn using a chain tool. For the new chain length, I cut it to be less than 1 link shorter than the worn one. It seems fine when I test ride it. But I thought the chain is worn more than 1 link; If I were to cut the chain even shorter, I need to cut out two more links, that might be too short right?

unless there was a problem with the old chain... Cut the New Chain to the SAME NUMBER of Links.
Old 06-05-23, 06:02 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts

No. You don't know how worn the old chain is or if it was sized correctly.

Follow the manufacturer's directions for sizing the chain, usually included with the chain. There are also dozens of youtube videos on chain sizing and installation. And parktool.com.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 06-05-23, 06:44 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
unless there was a problem with the old chain... Cut the New Chain to the SAME NUMBER of Links.
This... There is no way anyone could wear a chain more than a link and not have problems.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-05-23, 07:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Assuming everything was done properly the first time and was checked and verified, then yes you would just break the chain to the same number of links. If not or you are simply unsure do as oldbobcat said and follow manufacturers instructions or look at Park Tool or Sheldon Brown 's website.
Old 06-07-23, 06:48 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts

number thirteen
look up the Park Tools video series, such a wealth of well made vids , well filmed, well lit, clear and concise wording from the cool Park tool dude, look up any questions you have and going over the vids will help you visualize what you are thinking of doing.
The reason its always best to use one of the sizing techniques is IF someone before you has not put the right length of chain on. A chain that is too short can eff up stuff pretty fast if you mistakenly go into the big-big combo, and you can eff up your derailleur etc , meaning mucho dollars.
I prefer the chain sizing method of putting the new chain on the large front chainring, the largest cog of the cassette, and NOT running the chain through the rear derailleur jockey wheels and doing that "add two links" or whatever it is.
The park tool guy mentions it. To me this is the fastest way to get the right chain length, plus it applies to whatever bike you do it on.
Old 06-07-23, 08:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
+1. If the old chain was sized correctly, cut the new chain the same number of links. As to elongation, assuming typical chain of 112 links (yeah, I know it's "half links") for a chain length of 56". If the elongation is 1% it would be .56" or about 1 half link. You can't shorten a chain by a half link.
Old 06-07-23, 08:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Why use a rule of thumb when the manufacturer of your rear DR has a procedure for determining the proper length of your chain. Shimano and SRAM at least make their instructions available with a little bit of looking.

Usually it's wrap the chain around the big/big combo without going through the RD and then add 1 or 2 links. But not always. Shimano has some different procedures for some of their products and sometimes it makes a difference if the bike is 3x vs 2x.

But assuming the original chain was sized correctly, you just use the same number of links. They don't grow more links with use. But it's also possible that your bike will shift fine with one less link. It'd probably also shift fine with one link more than the previous chain.

Big thing to look for is that your chain doesn't have the RD stretched to it's limits when in the Big/Big combo. Nor do you want the chain to droop and be slack when in the Small/Small combo.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-07-23 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-07-23, 09:32 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why use a rule of thumb when the manufacturer if your rear DR has a procedure for determining the proper length of your chain.
Exactly. No guessing required if you just follow the instructions.
Old 06-07-23, 11:34 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
"They don't grow more links with use."

Perfecto.
Old 06-07-23, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Some basic knowledge and simple math will answer your question.

The typical guideline for chain replacement is when it has "stretched" close to 1% or 1/8" per foot. Since a chain is roughly 4 feet long a worn chain is about 1/2" longer than a new one.

So, to answer your question. Your new chain will be the same as the original if measured side by side and 1 link or so shorter.

This confirms the OP matched the original correctly.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-07-23 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 12:06 PM
djb

and yes, its the easy way.
Old 06-07-23, 12:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Why should the OP start from scratch. He has a chain which he knows is right because it's been working all along.

So simply matching, after allowing for the 1/2" stretch is the simplest solution.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-07-23, 01:02 PM
djb

I figure if there's any -doubt- about chain length with a used bike or whatever, it's just good to know the basic concept of how to be sure, that's all. I've compared old and new chains side by side on newspaper, it works but seems to me faster doing the on bike thing.

Last edited by djb; 06-07-23 at 03:12 PM. Reason: forgot doubt
Old 06-07-23, 01:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Some basic knowledge and simple math will answer your question.

The typical guideline for chain replacement is when it has "stretched" close to 1% or 1/8" per foot. Since a chain is roughly 4 feet long a worn chain is about 1/2" longer than a new one.

So, to answer your question. Your new chain will be the same as the original if measured side by side and 1 link or so shorter.

This confirms the OP matched the original correctly.
Ahh, another way to look at what the OP might have been saying. I assumed they were asking about number of links from the beginning of both chains.

However you seem to be saying they meant just relative from the end of the chains as they lay next to each other.

Good catch and maybe that's what the OP meant.
Old 06-07-23, 01:16 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Ahh, another way to look at what the OP might have been saying. I assumed they were asking about number of links from the beginning of both chains.

However you seem to be saying they meant just relative from the end of the chains as they lay next to each other.

Good catch and maybe that's what the OP meant.
The OP tipped me off when he spoke of 1 or 3 links. That could only mean new vs stretched chain.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-07-23, 02:20 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

I’d make it the same number of links assuming it worked as intended previously.
Old 06-07-23, 03:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
It is 0.75 % elongation, not 0.75 links. The tool has no way of knowing how long your chain is.
Old 06-07-23, 03:47 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I put a micro screwdriver shaft through both the old and new chain end. Lay them side by side on the floor. pull using the screwdriver to align them together.

You'll see that the old chain links are offset from the new chain, but it's easy to see where to cut the new chain to match. If in doubt, realign the two chains about halfway down. My chains tend to be well less than a single 1/2 inch link difference.

!! use a piece of tape or a marker pen to indicate the hole where it will be shortened. No guesswork or second thoughts this way!!

Quick links: the quick link takes the place of one outer plate 1/2 inch link. If both old and new chains use quick links, you'll see the narrow link on both ends. If a pin is pushed out on the old chain, one end has a plate, then other has a narrow link. A quick link for the new chain takes the place of the orphan outside plate link in this case.