Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding a Silca Pista Floor Pump - Worth it?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 09:03 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

My 1990 Silca Pista floor pump has finally become unusable. Gauge is erratic, barrel seal and one way valve are unreliable now too. Is it worth the $45 in parts to rebuild it? I did not pay anything like that for it when it was new. All I have done for it in the past 25 years has been to replace the fill valve gasket a few times and lube the barrel so it has been a good pump, but it is getting a bit dated looking compared to the sexy new ones.

Silca has some really nice pictures of the new parts on their site. Makes you want to just buy the parts just because they look so nice!
Old 08-14-15, 09:23 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Silca is now under new ownership and their pumps have gone WAY upscale. How about a basic floor pump is now $450 and special "Artist Editions" go for up to $1200? (Actually, went for, they are already sold out.) Repair parts for the older pumps also seem to have gone up as for example the rubber washer for the bell-shaped Presta pump head that used to be $3 is now $9.

If you can still source all of the needed parts for $45, I'd say go for it. Your old pump may be come a valuable collector's item in the future.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-15-15, 08:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Old 80's one still works .. I wonder what happened to the people and their families back in Italy , now that the gentrification Takeover,
moved the company .

might be some parts in old sellers inventories to use your searching web talents.
Old 08-15-15, 08:52 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was recently using my 80's Silca to make a point to my non-cycling friend. I was mentioning that they don't make stuff like they used to and for a very good reason. Silca pumps were so overbuilt that with only modest service they can last 30 years and still work. But company's that make products that last that long better be able to follow up with something else to sell when initial interest runs out because otherwise they wont be seeing those "first buyers" again for a very long time. The Silca Pista was both an engineering triumph and marketing disaster.

Repair your pump. It's a piece of cycling history.
Likes For cale:
Old 08-15-15, 11:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
The biggest aspect of floor pumps that I see feed back on is the chuck style. So if you're happy with the Silca chuck or are willing to splice in a different kind then rebuilding the piston seal is well worth it. But I don't see much value in replacing a pressure gage. It's not hard to determine a correction factor and remark the dial. Andy.
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 08-16-15, 08:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Is the gauge really bad or just reading erratically because the check valve, etc. are leaking? Unless mechanically damaged, gauges are pretty bullet-proof.
Old 08-16-15, 08:23 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
it is getting a bit dated looking compared to the sexy new ones.
Apply Captain Fast logic: "The latest and most expensive hardware is always more desirable than last seasons' obsolescent stuff."
You are long overdue for a more "sexy" pump.

-Bandera
Old 08-16-15, 04:26 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You can clean up the check valve and replace the o-ring. A new leather gasket will make it as good as new. Mines about 21 years old and still works.
Old 08-16-15, 06:15 PM
FRANK CANNON
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My 1990 Silca Pista floor pump has finally become unusable. Gauge is erratic, barrel seal and one way valve are unreliable now too. Is it worth the $45 in parts to rebuild it? I did not pay anything like that for it when it was new. All I have done for it in the past 25 years has been to replace the fill valve gasket a few times and lube the barrel so it has been a good pump, but it is getting a bit dated looking compared to the sexy new ones.

Silca has some really nice pictures of the new parts on their site. Makes you want to just buy the parts just because they look so nice!
The sexiest air pumps come from Italy.
Likes For FRANK CANNON:
Old 08-16-15, 06:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by FRANK CANNON
Debatable, but what isn't is that this form of air pump chemically changes the out put. Our bike pumps don't. Andy.
Old 08-16-15, 08:20 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by FRANK CANNON
So do many of the least reliable.
Old 08-17-15, 09:06 PM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Attached is an owner's manual for the Silca Pump. I found the manual online about a year ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SILCA BIKE PUMP.pdf (419.8 KB, 154 views)
Likes For tjkoko:
Old 08-18-15, 09:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I'd start by trying to clean the check valve. It's pretty easy to disassemble, and it seems to collect dried oil and turn it into gunk. Soak everything in mineral spirits, put some clean oil on, and reassemble. If the pump works then, go ahead and rebuild the rest of it.
Old 08-18-15, 10:38 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
When I replaced some parts for my Medai Top Super Japanese pump from the seventies I learned that the threadings for pump parts are pretty much standardized. You may be able to find parts for less money than Silca sells them for. I was able to find a hose with a chuck that I prefer to the original.

Medai Top Super Pump - Bicycle Parts at discount prices / the Buyer's Guide / Bicycle Parts at their finest! / Professional Bicycle Source / Bike Pro
Old 08-18-15, 10:42 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd start by trying to clean the check valve. It's pretty easy to disassemble, and it seems to collect dried oil and turn it into gunk. Soak everything in mineral spirits, put some clean oil on, and reassemble. If the pump works then, go ahead and rebuild the rest of it.
I agree with this, but I tend to try to rebuild everything before replacing.

If this works all you would probably need to replace would be the seals...
Old 08-18-15, 03:34 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
I bought a presta head from the new Silca. Here's what their marketing sez:

'We felt the need to re-imagine this most iconic of cycling tools as an heirloom quality objet d'art. The utmost care has been taken to machine the part using mono-crystaline diamond tooling to get the perfect surface finish, while the final feel of the part benefits from an investigation into more than 20 different styles and depths of knurl so that it will feel 'just-so' in your hands as it provides a lifetime of useful enjoyment.'

Yeah, okay, whatever, YMMV, but the one they sent me hadn't been deburred after machining. Works just fine, but feels sorta nasty cheap made-in-China-in-1987-ish in the fingertips. Every time I touch it I think, 'Paid too much.'

...getting a bit dated looking compared to the sexy new ones.
Ah, those polished stainless and wood Arundel, Birzman, Lezyne, Silca, Velowurks, etc. pumps, re-fitted with Hirame heads: lovely! - but of course the cool kids are inflating with tanks of nitrogen now.

Last edited by tcs; 08-18-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 08:45 PM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd start by trying to clean the check valve. ... Soak everything in mineral spirits, put some clean oil on, and reassemble. If the pump works then, go ahead and rebuild the rest of it.
Which "clean oil" would you recommend using at the check valve??
Old 08-18-15, 09:22 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The biggest aspect of floor pumps that I see feed back on is the chuck style. So if you're happy with the Silca chuck or are willing to splice in a different kind then rebuilding the piston seal is well worth it. But I don't see much value in replacing a pressure gage. It's not hard to determine a correction factor and remark the dial. Andy.
It varies more than 30 PSI different from stroke to stroke. Not usable at all.
Old 08-18-15, 09:25 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by HillRider
Is the gauge really bad or just reading erratically because the check valve, etc. are leaking? Unless mechanically damaged, gauges are pretty bullet-proof.
Can a bad check valve cause the crazy pressure readings I see? I wish I saw that before I ordered the parts...
Old 08-18-15, 09:27 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by tjkoko
Attached is an owner's manual for the Silca Pump. I found the manual online about a year ago.
Thanks, this will be helpful
Old 08-18-15, 10:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Pressure gages usually are pretty consistent WRT them selves stroke to stroke. But the other aspects of the air delivery system can and do have variations. Like sticking valves, both check and tube. Or the chuck's sealing on the valve stem can vary with the hose movement and pressure. It's common to see a pressure readout that is high while pumping in air, then briefly stabilizes before bleeding down on the up stroke. A sticking or rusty check valve only further confuses this cycle. Andy.
Old 08-19-15, 08:19 AM
pdlamb

Which "clean oil" would you recommend using at the check valve??
I'd probably use Phil's Tenacious Oil, because that's what's in my garage. 10W40 motor oil would also be good. I'd skip bar chain oil, because I don't want something that sticky in the check valve, and many of the light use chain oils because I don't want the residual paraffin in there either.
Old 08-19-15, 08:47 AM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd probably use Phil's Tenacious Oil, because that's what's in my garage. 10W40 motor oil would also be good......
10W40 synthetic or nonsynthetic********** What about 3 in 1 Oil which is considered a light machine oil********** Mineral oil????

Last but not least, what about using Park Tool CL-1 lubricant?

Last edited by tjkoko; 08-19-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 08:54 AM
pdlamb

10W40 synthetic or nonsynthetic**********
Yes
What about 3 in 1 Oil which is considered a light machine oil**********
No, it'll harden with age
Mineral oil????
For you or the pump**********
Old 08-19-15, 09:10 AM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
10W40 synthetic, yes or no**********

10W40 conventional motor oil, nonsynthetic, yes or no????

Mineral oil which is baby oil without fragrance, yes or no???

Park Tool CL-1 lubricant, yes or no???

And let's omit the facetiousness, okay.

Last edited by tjkoko; 08-19-15 at 09:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.