Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hi could anyone suggest a good sunglasses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 07:04 PM
Garywithairp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I had a cheap brand sunglasses from Amazon, the effect is worse than I thought.
My budge is 50 to 80 dollars, this summer i really want to buy myself a good present.
Can someone suggest your favorite sunglasses beside Oakley and Nike.
not that i don't like them, it's just price is too high.

Thx
Old 05-04-17, 07:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Tifosi has a lot of options in that price range. Tifosi Sunglasses for Bike/Run
Old 05-04-17, 07:27 PM
sunvalleylaw

Bikes: 2016 Kona Process 111, 2004 Merckx Fuga, '89 Fisher Paragon, converted to 700c, 1983 Davidson touring custom

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Garywithairp
Hi guys, I had a cheap brand sunglasses from Amazon, the effect is worse than I thought.
My budge is 50 to 80 dollars, this summer i really want to buy myself a good present.

Thx
I like Smith Pivloks. Interchangeable lenses, great for riding. You should be able to find some on sale somewhere within your range.
Old 05-05-17, 05:25 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Again, look at Tifosi. Almost all of their models have interchangeable lenses that come with the sunglasses and some have photochromatic (transition) lenses. Most of their sunglasses fall below the $80.00 mark. I have had one of their photochromatic lens models for about three years now and they are nice and light and change shades quickly. Also, Tifosi has two partner websites where you can purchase extra/replacement lenses and other parts. Depending on the manufacturer, trying to get replacement lenses and parts can be a real PITA.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-05-17, 08:15 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I like the Uvex Genesis glassis I bought on-line. Thanks to a recommendation from @joeyduck a while ago. Here's an older thread talking about some sunglasses:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...e-glasses.html
Old 05-05-17, 08:24 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
I've had other Tifosi's in the past, but this one is far and away superior to any other:
Podium XC | Silver/Gunmetal Light Night Fototec - Tifosi Optics

("Light Night Fototec" is Tifosi's marketing-speak for "photochromic".)

The one-piece lens extends high enough that even down in the drops, I never get wind coming over the top of the frame at the bridge of the nose, which was a problem with other sunglasses. Also, no matter how far up I am looking, I cannot see the upper edge of the lens.
Old 05-05-17, 09:25 AM
sunvalleylaw

Bikes: 2016 Kona Process 111, 2004 Merckx Fuga, '89 Fisher Paragon, converted to 700c, 1983 Davidson touring custom

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
I like Smith Pivloks. Interchangeable lenses, great for riding. You should be able to find some on sale somewhere within your range.

This place has pivlocks for 55-63 bucks.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

And here is the pivlock v2 I personally like.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-05-17, 09:28 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Tifosi. About $70 locally, about half that if you buy online. I have two pair, at this point see no reason to go with anything else.
Old 05-05-17, 10:06 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Another Tifosi aficionado. I especially like the transition lenses for road cycling and the clear lenses for mountain biking. My experience is that they also provide excellent customer service.

Shimagnolo- FYI- Podium lenses have a history of cracking just above the nose bridge due to repeated spreading as they are taken on/off.
Old 05-05-17, 10:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,526 Times in 7,325 Posts
And if you need a little reading help, Tifosi makes glasses with a magnification strip built in to the bottom of the lens.
Old 05-05-17, 11:36 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Garywithairp

Thx
I'm curious what "the effect" is that's worse than you thought. I use cheap sunglasses almost exclusively, and while I've gotten one or two losers, for the most part the only difference I saw was that the Oakley lenses were a lot thicker.
Old 05-05-17, 11:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Another vote for Smith Pivlocks.
Old 05-05-17, 02:36 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
UVEX - scores of different styles. Very low prices. It's a no brainer.
Old 05-06-17, 08:41 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm curious what "the effect" is that's worse than you thought. I use cheap sunglasses almost exclusively, and while I've gotten one or two losers, for the most part the only difference I saw was that the Oakley lenses were a lot thicker.
Having cycled for years with cheapies and now making the transition up to more moderately priced sunglasses, I can say the difference is in fit, quality of the lenses, and fogging up. The cheapies were hit or miss on the bike. A pair of sunglasses that might have been fine for driving or general use might constantly slip off my face when on the bike. The lens quality became apparent when I bought my first Tifosi glasses and did an A/B with my previous Nashbar glasses. The lenses on the Nashbar glasses distorted. Finally, the cheaper sunglasses tended to fog up, so I was constantly having to take them off and wipe them off. The Tifosi doesn't do that.
Old 05-06-17, 09:15 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedud
Another Tifosi aficionado. I especially like the transition lenses for road cycling and the clear lenses for mountain biking. My experience is that they also provide excellent customer service.

Shimagnolo- FYI- Podium lenses have a history of cracking just above the nose bridge due to repeated spreading as they are taken on/off.
An FYI on the Tifosi warranty:
Their warranty states that there is a $15 fee to send in defective sunglasses to get a replacement.
It also states that if the ones you are sending in are no longer in production, they can substitute a current model.

Now here is what happened when I used it:
I sent in a years-old pair that had begun cracking at the corners of the lenses. This pair had the conventional type of frame, and was no longer being produced. Upon receiving it, they sent me an email stating that since it was not a current model, instead of sending a replacement, they were providing a 50% discount coupon code for https://www.sibasports.com/. They did not put the $15 charge on my CC.

So that was how I acquired the Podium XC.
Old 05-06-17, 11:16 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I got these at Lenscrafters. They are made by Liberty and are my second pair. I had a pair of wire frame Carreras that I really liked, but did a faceplant crash on pavement and they cut what was left of my face, one cut was 1/4" from my eye socket. So I went to plastic frames. They are light, durable, seem to "breath" as good as most others I've tried. You can Google them at Liberty. These are a bronze finish, my others were black. I have dark lenses with progressive trifocals. Don't leave home without them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017-05-06 10.09.46.jpg (72.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-06-17, 12:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Good ones: Vuarnet , Found, (don't recall where) and Found by a dark public Bathroom sink, Foster Grant
Old 05-07-17, 06:06 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
An FYI on the Tifosi warranty:
Their warranty states that there is a $15 fee to send in defective sunglasses to get a replacement.
It also states that if the ones you are sending in are no longer in production, they can substitute a current model.

I sent in a years-old pair that had begun cracking at the corners of the lenses. This pair had the conventional type of frame, and was no longer being produced. Upon receiving it, they sent me an email stating that since it was not a current model, instead of sending a replacement, they were providing a 50% discount coupon code for https://www.sibasports.com/. They did not put the $15 charge on my CC.

So that was how I acquired the Podium XC.
I work at a bike shop so my history of dealing with Tifosi is from the dealer's perspective. I call them periodically to order, exchange dead stock, and take care of customer's warranty issues. They have always been easy to work with and very supportive. I also wear Tifosi glasses in all my outdoor adventures, my current favorites are the Crit Fototec and Lore Tactical. While I think their warranty procedures make it simple and straight forward for the consumer to take care of any issues, I always recommend that you let your dealer handle any warranty issues if that is an option for you.

Podiums are wonderful glasses, I've worn them for years and I'm confident that you will enjoy yours.
Old 05-07-17, 07:20 AM
skids929

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tifosi...Just got a set with the lenses that change color. They change the way I ride. I feel safer and my ride is more enjoyable overall and they look good too.
Old 05-07-17, 07:10 PM
Garywithairp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazon aren't totally bad

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Well, they are not totally bad, it's just i got one of the sunglasses, their polarized lens is shaky. The screw of the adjustable nose pad didn't get in right. They are medium light, and their nose pad is very thin.
Sometime when the wind blows on my face, the lens will be pushed close to my eyes.

I got it like 30 bucks, i guess you get what you paid for. Thx for all the suggestion.
Old 05-07-17, 07:15 PM
Garywithairp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow TIFOSI is amazing

I sent in a years-old pair that had begun cracking at the corners of the lenses. This pair had the conventional type of frame, and was no longer being produced. Upon receiving it, they sent me an email stating that since it was not a current model, instead of sending a replacement, they were providing a 50% discount coupon code for . They did not put the $15 charge on my CC.

Wow that's amazing, what have I been missing, I gotta get TOFOSI.
Old 05-07-17, 07:25 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About one year ago I purchased some cycling sunglasses from Dual Eye wear and have been very satisfied with them. I have a pair with reader lenses allowing me to see my computer screen very clearly. The cost was $40.00. The lenses, however are not polarized but I believe they offer some that are. The website is dualeyewear.com.
Old 05-07-17, 07:38 PM
TheLastOfUs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear Raybans but not cycling sunglasses
Old 05-07-17, 08:13 PM
Garywithairp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx for all great suggestions

Hi guys
Thank you for all of your great comments, and helping me to save the budget.
Thx again.
Old 05-07-17, 10:24 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
5 pairs of safety glasses. You can get good polarized ones for $10 these days, there are literally thousands of options. They work great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.