Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 01-14-23, 05:04 PM
Monkitoucher

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Yeti SB130, Primus Mootry Adventure Bike, Funk Pro Comp/Durango, Ellsworth Enlightenment, Colnago Nuovo Mexico, Orange Krate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 16 Posts
Out to Baker's Bridge for the first ride of the year and the first shake down ride after the restoration.

Old 01-14-23, 05:36 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts

40 miles last Sunday. Met up with a friend for part of that 40.

Enjoyed a 33 mile ride today in mid 50 temperatures on this 40 YO vintage Trek I built up from the bare frame and fork this week with parts I already had other than new pedals . It's a fine riding bike.
Old 01-14-23, 08:09 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Greenwood Hills Cemetery in SW Portland

Old 01-14-23, 09:21 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts
I rode down to the lower valley to meet some friends in Fall City.
We noodled around for a couple of hours before I split off from them and rode back home via the Snoqualmie Valley Trail.
Jan 14 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
When I got into the upper valley, I had to negotiate a few obstacles while a stiff headwind kept me company for the final miles home.
Old 01-15-23, 02:10 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,726 Times in 526 Posts
It rained all day yesterday, as it has here for the last 2 weekends, but today thankfully the skies had run out of rain and we even had some moments of blue sky and sunshine. I did have a wry smile when I came across this, which would have been a more appropriate spot last weekend when it was raining cats and dogs.

It made me wonder where the phrase raining cats and dogs comes from, and I thought it would be easily explained but a bit of internetting reveals that's not the case, but proved an interesting distraction as I discovered reading later. More info here for anyone interested. https://www.loc.gov/everyday-mysteri...cats-and-dogs/
With temperatures around 7c / 44f it was colder than it looked but still warmer than average for the time of year. I'm on a Belgian bike this week rather than an Italian, and though its quite at home hammering over wet and muddy cobbles, the bike is seemingly more drawn towards the sunlight, but its been duped on this occasion.

Next to this playground is a statue of cat, which the inscription says is called 'Humphrey' and is by Marcia Solway, but gives no more information than that.

Having just spent some time since I got home reading about raining cats and dogs, it seems I've got to follow that up and look up more about Humphrey and Marcia.

It turns out Marcia was a student of sculpture in Queen's Square near here, and Humphrey was a ginger tom and was the resident cat there for 18 years, and he was reportedly a champion mouse catcher. Marcia loved cats and suffered from epilepsy and attended a hospital also on Queen's Square, but sadly she died aged just 34 in 1992, which was the same year Humphrey died, and this monument to both of them was put here at some point later. Awwww, what a sad and sweet story, is someone chopping onions as my eyes just got wet.

The occasional sunshine and local art works are making me wonder where my sunglasses are, its been a while since I've used them, and I make a mental note to search for them later.

And as I get all misty eyed at the thoughts of long summer cycling days, I realize its only mid January and those days are a fair way off. We haven't even got any plants or trees in flower/bud yet, so to give me a color boost I stop for the last pic on Lancaster Road just off the Portabello Road, and at least give the false impression I'm cycling around a warmer European city. The forecast is minimal blue sky and sunshine this coming week, so I'm trying to make the most of it.
Old 01-16-23, 05:37 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I just pedaled around the lake a couple of times...

Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 01-18-23, 07:18 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Hard to beat a ride through the woods on a lovely January day.
After acting as the foundation of a bunch of drivetrain experimentation for the last few months, the Pelizzoli has been returned to compact 50/34, 12-30 ten speed configuration and was rewarded with some new woven Serfas bar tape.

Old 01-18-23, 01:35 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris

On the way home I found a little wrench in the road. I decided to keep it in case I needed to make any brake adjustments.

Brent
"When you come to a wrench in the road, take it."
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 01-18-23, 06:57 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
More unexpected January weather so real cardio under real skies again. Rode the converted Trek 850 on the Thun (pronounced "tune") section of the Schuylkill River trail. It's always a pleasant ride but especially on a winter day that's warm.

I stopped at a marshy section for this happy snap. This area would usually be frozen solid in January but not this year. A brief pause while keeping an eye out for alligators and crocodiles. A quick photo then dashing on down the trail for fear of the deadly Pennsylvania Manatee, the scourge of this old road.

"There wasn't a breath in that land of death, and I hurried, horror-driven....."
Old 01-19-23, 12:15 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 761 Posts
Spent several minutes just now typing out a full description of today's ride, and BF gave the "Can't find that site right now" and disappeared it.

26.8 miles. And I'll leave it at that so the mods won't boot me.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 01-19-23, 12:23 AM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 177 Posts

After 3 weeks of rainy days and a few weeks of high temps in the 40s before that, today was the nicest day of riding in a long time with the temperature in the low 50s, out and back thru the suburbs and along the MUT overlooking the San Joaquin River bottom. After I took this picture, a coyote crossed the pass less than 100 feet behind me, but he was down the bluff and out of sight before I could snap a pic.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 01-19-23, 01:27 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
More unexpected January weather so real cardio under real skies again. Rode the converted Trek 850 on the Thun (pronounced "tune") section of the Schuylkill River trail. It's always a pleasant ride but especially on a winter day that's warm.

"There wasn't a breath in that land of death, and I hurried, horror-driven....."
Great section and if you ever get the time I highly recommend adding the Union Canal section on to the ride once you hit Reading.

Love those redline tires!
Old 01-19-23, 03:24 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
Great section and if you ever get the time I highly recommend adding the Union Canal section on to the ride once you hit Reading.
I’m game. Come show me in the spring. I’ve not been north of Brentwood trail head.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 01-20-23, 10:34 AM
cooperryder

Sssssss

Enjoyed a 20 miler on my 1982 Trek 614 bike in sunny mid 50 temps yesterday.

I would not want to encounter a real critter like this of this size or actually any size.

I know some of you have posted pics of real ones you gave encountered on your rides although a bit smaller than this behemoth.

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 01-20-23, 11:07 AM
cooperryder

I am reminded of this picture I saw years ago that if I recall correctly the owner of the bike was touring somewhere in southeast Asia.

I think I posted the picture before some years ago.

How would you like to come out of your tent for breakfast and see this critter on your bike?

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 01-20-23, 11:09 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
Enjoyed a 20 miler on my 1982 Trek 614 bike in sunny mid 50 temps yesterday.

I would not want to encounter a real critter like this of this size or actually any size.

I know some of you have posted pics of real ones you gave encountered on your rides although a bit smaller than this behemoth.

Where you at? Took the grandkids to a park north of Dallas, I believe it was called Centennial, that had one of those.
Old 01-20-23, 11:21 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 664 Posts
Used a different set of tools for my ride yesterday :-)
Silver Basin by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 01-20-23, 01:37 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by curbtender
Where you at? Took the grandkids to a park north of Dallas, I believe it was called Centennial, that had one of those.
Hi curbtender.

This one is located in the northeast part of Richardson,TX just off Hwy 75/Central Expwy and Glenville Dr.

There are other critter statues there, a beaver, a tortoise and a rabbit..

It's on the Galatyn Woodland Preserve.

I sometimes enjoy riding over that way.

Nearby is the Spring Creek Preserve which is a small forest area with good bike paths I enjoy riding around.

It's great someone looked to the future and 'preserved ' these areas.

If you live in the greater Dallas area and would perhaps want to meet up to ride you could send a private message.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 01-20-23, 07:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
@northbend ‘s blue bird day carried over:

Full sun and dry is good with chilly temps.
Winter crush of vegetation in the bog, but we look upward. Long shadows even near midday.

Ti with triple for a Winter’s mild jaunt. 42*F@ start, 40* by end
Old 01-22-23, 05:43 PM
cooperryder

Back out on my recently built up vintage Trek 614 for 34 miles on a sunny low 50"s winter day.

​​​​​​I am enjoying this bike!

Fountains at SMU University.

I met up with a friend near downtown Dallas and rode with him a while.

I really like his new Acorn saddle bag on his terrific Rivendell Homer Hilson bike.

Old 01-22-23, 07:18 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
First day in couple of weeks that it was warm enough to ride safely a lot of snow cover and ice but above freezing. Went for a short ride on local roads most of the trails and bike path are pretty much a no go.

Actual dry pavement is a nice sight.

There is actually a bike here.

Old 01-22-23, 11:21 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
I took my first ride of the year through the Columbia River Gorge today with @gugie. I can't seem to pass the Portland Women's Forum scenic viewpoint without taking a picture. It never gets old.

After a stop at Multnomah Falls for some much needed hot chocolate, we headed back to Troutdale. Just east of Crown Point, I saw a rather strange site off to the side of the road.

How do you even get a truck that far off the road without rolling it?
Old 01-23-23, 12:34 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I took my first ride of the year through the Columbia River Gorge today with @gugie. I can't seem to pass the Portland Women's Forum scenic viewpoint without taking a picture. It never gets old.
More pix:

Multnomah Falls

Andy making the final turn to Crown Point

Cold ride, but we warmed up quickly on the climbs, and used the brakes more so than needed on the downhills to keep the windchill in check.
Old 01-23-23, 12:49 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Andy making the final turn to Crown Point
I was afraid to ask how long you were waiting at Crown Point before I got there. In addition to being slower up the hill, I stopped for a nature break, stopped to adjust my indexing so I could use my lowest gear and stopped to take pictures of the truck that was in the woods.
Old 01-23-23, 01:40 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

After a stop at Multnomah Falls for some much needed hot chocolate, we headed back to Troutdale. Just east of Crown Point, I saw a rather strange site off to the side of the road.

How do you even get a truck that far off the road without rolling it?
That's often a normal "shortcut" or sometimes "hold my beer" moment if you live in Corbett or up Larch Mt.
Likes For merziac:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.