Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

sci guy's & SmellyAir's CAAD4 Bike Build Bromance

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

sci guy's & SmellyAir's CAAD4 Bike Build Bromance

Old 11-22-22, 04:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I wanna see that final build
It will be similar to yours, but not color coordinated, and with an old geezer stem angle as the steerer is only long enough for a single 15 mm spacer under the stem.

My lackadaisical build progress is mostly due to the daunting task of installing the Hollowtech II BB and crankset. Once I get past that the rest should be relatively easy.
Old 11-22-22, 04:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
My lackadaisical build progress is mostly due to the daunting task of installing the Hollowtech II BB and crankset. Once I get past that the rest should be relatively easy.
Thats one of my favorite parts of a build- greasing the shell threads, the satisfying feel of the cups twisting in, the solid stop of the wrench when the cups are tight, testing the preload, and cranking down the two bolts. Its one thing I would sit and do for money over and over each day.
Old 11-22-22, 06:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thats one of my favorite parts of a build- greasing the shell threads, the satisfying feel of the cups twisting in, the solid stop of the wrench when the cups are tight, testing the preload, and cranking down the two bolts. Its one thing I would sit and do for money over and over each day.
I did not know that I have to test the preload! If you were closer I would invite you over to do it for me in exchange for a fat lunch and beer.
Old 11-22-22, 09:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I did not know that I have to test the preload! If you were closer I would invite you over to do it for me in exchange for a fat lunch and beer.
Yeah, that little cap on the non-drive side arm needs to be tightened before the two bolts on that arm are tightened. It's like a headset- set the preload and then tighten the stem.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-23-22, 05:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Yeah, that little cap on the non-drive side arm needs to be tightened before the two bolts on that arm are tightened. It's like a headset- set the preload and then tighten the stem.
Thanks, I had bought the special plastic tool for the NDS crankarm cap; I just did not know that doing the above is called testing the preload.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-03-23, 05:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

After an almost half year hiatus, I have accomplished what mstateglfr said is one of his favorite parts of a build:

But not so for me; my travails here: Shimano 11s Bottom Bracket & Crankset Installation - Noob Questions - Bike Forums
The process was quite a bit harder than doing the JIS square taper BB and crank arm installation for the 1x conversion of my hybrid.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-18-23, 08:55 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Glad to see some progress!! What’s next?
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 01-19-23, 12:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Glad to see some progress!! What’s next?
Next segment is the easy part, i.e., installation of brake calipers and derailleurs. After that, I am debating whether to replace the handlebar with another that has internal routing.
Old 01-22-23, 04:47 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Next segment is the easy part, i.e., installation of brake calipers and derailleurs. After that, I am debating whether to replace the handlebar with another that has internal routing.
nah man, I’d keep it traditional. The look of the cables is part of the aesthetic.
Old 01-22-23, 05:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

nah man, I’d keep it traditional. The look of the cables is part of the aesthetic.
The cable housings are only partially routed through the tops and exit the handlebar to the outside of the stem clamp area, so either way would be covered by bar tape.

3T Ernova Team Stealth Handlebar - Components (competitivecyclist.com)

This is the best opportunity to install these bars.
Old 10-18-23, 01:39 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
As I said here it is a back up Cannondale frame in my size but if it ever turns into a project I will however buy step by step the components: a cane creek headset, 3T Mutant stem and 3T Mutant handlebar, dura ace 7800 tranmission and brakes , fsa carbon crank , zipp 808/404 wheels with conti 4 season tires and when I feel it need to get built, it will be built. But for the moment as I have far too many projects running on my plate, it will stay as back up