Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Target HR on Group Rides & Riding Faster

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 06-25-22, 09:52 AM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all, I have HR data from a singular ride where I ride 1 hour with group C pace; at the rest stop half-way through the 2 hour ride; I switch to group B and ride the last hour with them. Looks like my HR sits below a 150 threshold with the C group, and then around 170+ with the B group. Should I be stick to riding longer / more with the C group before moving up to B group? Or, if I can hang onto B group is there any danger in sitting at 170-180BPM for a full 2 hour ride with lots of push? I need some advice on what makes sense to normalize riding with the B group over time and getting fitter.

Old 06-25-22, 10:29 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
B group. You need to climb some hills.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-25-22, 03:10 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
It's hard to say without knowing what your maximum HR is (I mean flat out maximum, not maximum from a normal ride). But 170-180 for most people would be close to going into the red. The fact that you held it for an hour and didn't blow up suggests it was at least below your threshold, but probably close to your limit. Unless you have a heart condition, there isn't much "danger" involved in trying to hang with the B-group. If it's too hard you will just blow-up at some point and get dropped. Or you might scrape through to the end and feel completely exhausted. Both of those cases would tell you to spend longer in the C-Group.

I would also say in general it is better to do your longer rides (2+ hours) at a moderate pace and push harder on shorter rides (1 hour or less). It's just more productive that way if you are aiming to get faster in the long run.

Last edited by PeteHski; 06-25-22 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-26-22, 07:17 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Just keep riding with the B group. You’ll get faster. Take it easy for a few days after.
Old 06-26-22, 07:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If you have to take it easy for several days after a 2 hour B ride, you would be better off doing the C ride to enable training/riding in the days afterwards instead of resting. Consistency is critical. I'd improve better having 5-6 days in Zone 2 than 1 day at threshold and two other rides during a week.

If I were you, I would try the B ride start to finish and if you want ride the next day, then no problem. If it takes 2-3 days of recovery before you really want to ride and feel solid, you might not be ready for it.

HR in the 170's for 2-3 hours is high for anyone except young and unfit. As you gain fitness, you will make more power at a lower HR due to increased stroke volume/more plasma volume, and better hemodynamics. The best way to achieve is subject to much debate.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-26-22, 04:41 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Find a local B group that does a shorter ride than 2 hours if you still want to cut your teeth a little bit but not so much as to not be able to ride later in the week.

Often places on weeknights cut it to like 1:15 or 90min or maybe even only an hour.

Also, zero shame in doing just 1hr of that B group and dropping to the C's or solo home at zone 2 pace. We have racers who race cat 3 on our team that sometimes drop from the A+ ride to the A or even B just to have an easier mid-week ride and keep training up, instead of wasting form on a hammerfest.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-07-22, 06:46 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
I think you're fine... assumption for age (under high 40's?) ... and given the ride is mostly flat, light rolling - you're not really spiking into long segments at/near AT (estimated...)
if you look at the median of the group B segment, it would seem to be in the mid-160s - a good hard, steady effort...
You're obviouslly not getting shelled in the B group ride - so continue on... and build into more assertive riding role when you feel it right.
The early hour at lower HR, gives the body plenty of time to build into an effort.
There lacks any 'cool-down' data, so I'm hoping that you have 20 min of cool-down after the Group B effort. DOn;t just jump off the bike and get in the coffee line.
That cool-down is critical in allowing the best possible recovery from the entire ride. 'Cool-Down" !!!!
zone 2 - given the observed HR - mid-120 backed down to teens, over 15-20 min... lower is even better for the last 5 min of cool-down.
check your heart rate and BP, that evening before bed, and again on waking... if it's spiked at either check, 'recovery ride' the next day - no higher than 120 ish 45min- 1 hr
Ride On
Yuri