Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

2023 Five Boro Bike Tour

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

2023 Five Boro Bike Tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 05:18 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
2023 Five Boro Bike Tour

I just signed up. Anyone else taking the plunge for the first time?
Old 01-11-23, 07:52 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Rudy,

I took the plunge last year. The toughest part is the two miles(?) before the bridge and the bridge. Bridge seemed to go on and up forever.

I practiced doing hills and pacing for another ride. Glad I did as I'm an old fat slow guy and the practice helped a lot.
40 miles on the road on a road bike is not an issue.

Since I was solo and from out of town I had anxiety about getting there and on time. Probably over prepped. I also went self contained, brought enough water and snacks. Also had spare tube, pump, bike tool etc. Didn't need to stop. Although there was a packed bar of cyclists in Queens(?) that I would have liked to have stopped at.

Every type of bike and every experience level is on the ride. I'm an experienced group rider. This is occasionally a madhouse. Be safe, pace, seen more than a few real idiots. Seen a few crashes, not bad considering.

If you are from Brooklyn you can bag out at any time.

The wait for the ferry was long but OK, as everybody was pumped up and 'chatty'.

Have fun and good luck
Likes For mirfi:
Old 01-13-23, 11:48 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
this is occasionally a madhouse.
qft
Old 01-15-23, 10:36 AM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Never again!

Originally Posted by rudypyatt
I just signed up. Anyone else taking the plunge for the first time?
I did it for the tenth time in a row in 2007. It was so crowded, it was very slow and often in "scooter mode," (one foot on the ground as you inched along). So I said: never again.

I got talked into it and did the 2022 ride. It was just as crowded (maybe more?) and even worse than before - instead of food and other vendors set up in Fort Wadsworth at the end of the ride, all the amenities were crowded into a little area of boutique shops on Staten Island. So, I've said: never again and I mean it this time!

If you really want to do it, my advice is don't begin at the start; wait for the lead riders at a spot well beyond the start (Central Park South, for example) and hop on when the first riders go by. You'll beat most of the crowd. (Of course, if everybody did that ....)

- Ed
Likes For groth:
Old 01-15-23, 02:42 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Just signed up for my first ride. One question is how crowded and is it aggravating is to get on the ferry to head back to Manhattan and eventually Penn Station. Also regarding riding the bridges w/ the incline I am planning to do some hills in the month before North end of the BBP. FYI I am an old fart (69)
Likes For justtrying:
Old 01-15-23, 09:32 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Despite the challenges, it's fun. 40,000 people are having fun. You will to.

:-)

BTW, I'm from out of town. Stayed in a hotel at the other end of Staten Island. Parked off of Victory. On top of the hill. There was plenty of street parking.

Also being a prepared cyclist means you will be prepared as you would for any 40 mile ride. It's a slow ride, not a race.

There will be people unprepared. i.e. taking single speed coaster brake 'beach' bikes. No helmets. E-bikes. It is what it is.

If I go again, I will be slower. Take my time to smell the rose. Stop in a bar and have a beer.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 01-16-23, 04:56 PM
rudypyatt

Originally Posted by mirfi
Despite the challenges, it's fun. 40,000 people are having fun. You will to.

:-)

BTW, I'm from out of town. Stayed in a hotel at the other end of Staten Island. Parked off of Victory. On top of the hill. There was plenty of street parking.

Also being a prepared cyclist means you will be prepared as you would for any 40 mile ride. It's a slow ride, not a race.

There will be people unprepared. i.e. taking single speed coaster brake 'beach' bikes. No helmets. E-bikes. It is what it is.

If I go again, I will be slower. Take my time to smell the rose. Stop in a bar and have a beer.
Thanks! I live in Brooklyn so I will be riding to the start and back from Whitehall. I’ll be on one my three speeds, probably the drop bar version.
Old 02-12-23, 03:28 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
Where does it start and end?
Old 02-13-23, 01:04 AM
mirfi

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Where does it start and end?

Staten Island
Old 02-13-23, 05:07 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 728 Posts
Starts in Lower Manhattan. It's a blast.

Riders in big hurry should ride the GFNY the following week.
Old 02-13-23, 08:12 AM
mirfi

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Starts in Lower Manhattan. It's a blast.

Riders in big hurry should ride the GFNY the following week.
Apologize for misinformation. My wife dropped me off on Victory Blvd in Staten Island, then took the ferry with many people to Manhattan. Long queue, but everybody is talking to everybody. Cool part was the ferry was full of happy excited cyclists. Also we went past the Statue of Liberty. After the ferry lots of volunteers shepherding the cyclists to the start line from the ferry.

The whole process is crazy, but fun crazy.

Waiting for the ferry

Lady Liberty

Waiting for the start
Likes For mirfi:
Old 03-28-23, 01:14 PM
o0260o

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think I did it 3 times and probably never again. Besides being crowded, the pit stop snacks were bananas and some other crap that is not even worth stopping for. Your money goes to the NYPD to close streets.
Old 04-28-23, 03:28 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by justtrying
Just signed up for my first ride. One question is how crowded and is it aggravating is to get on the ferry to head back to Manhattan and eventually Penn Station. Also regarding riding the bridges w/ the incline I am planning to do some hills in the month before North end of the BBP. FYI I am an old fart (69)
The key to getting back to Manhattan in a timely manner is go straight to the ferry. That means not going to the vendor bike show area. For hills, the BQE from Industry City to the VZ is slightly uphill and the VZ is uphill, so save a little bit for the end. My descent into St George was a joyous rip, hammering with a younger dude through the whole thing.

Have a great ride gents!
Old 04-29-23, 05:06 PM
Mirabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need 1 ticket to 5/7/2023 5-Boro Bike Ride

In need of 1 ticket to the 5/7/2023 ride…anyone selling a legit ticket? If so, please email me at mdappleby4@gmail.com.
Old 05-02-23, 10:01 AM
cherrylee921

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in need of 2 bike tour tickets, anyone who is interested in transferring the tickets, please email me at cherrylee921@gmail.com. Thanks.
Old 05-06-23, 05:45 PM
justtrying

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
The key to getting back to Manhattan in a timely manner is go straight to the ferry. That means not going to the vendor bike show area. For hills, the BQE from Industry City to the VZ is slightly uphill and the VZ is uphill, so save a little bit for the end. My descent into St George was a joyous rip, hammering with a younger dude through the whole thing.

Have a great ride gents!
Thanks, I decided to leave early and go directly to SI, then take the ferry to Manhattan for the start. A friend from SI has a place for me to park.
Old 05-06-23, 05:50 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
———

Enjoy, but don’t dawdle at rest stops. Skip finish party and get on the ferry before it becomes the cluster it always does.
Old 05-08-23, 08:30 AM
justtrying

I did the ride yesterday great weather and a great experience, Except for 1 caveat, at the end of the ride, which was few miles linger and hillier then my flat rides on Long Island, the VBB to put it nicely destroyed me up to the point I walked most of the incline. My question us what road(s) if any LI would mimic the slope and length of the VBB. Obviously I need some ride work for next year. Thanks
Likes For justtrying:
Old 05-08-23, 11:51 AM
BTinNYC 

I did the ride yesterday great weather and a great experience, Except for 1 caveat, at the end of the ride, which was few miles linger and hillier then my flat rides on Long Island, the VBB to put it nicely destroyed me up to the point I walked most of the incline. My question us what road(s) if any LI would mimic the slope and length of the VBB. Obviously I need some ride work for next year. Thanks
Nice!
There's not much besides flat for us. The north shore has some bumps, but it's mostly interval training, riding into the wind, or a car ride north. I did a ride to the Old Point Lighthouse that was pretty good. I'll look for the route.
Old 05-08-23, 01:45 PM
rudypyatt

I did the ride and had a similar experience on the Verrazano.

I was pedaling up but had to slow down a couple of times because of the traffic. Having only three gears, the key to dealing with any kind of slope is to get to a comfortable cadence and stay there. Once I was thrown off my cadence, I started feeling a twinge in one quad. Not wanting to have it completely knot up so close to the finish, I walked part way up the slope.

Time to ride a lot of bridges in the City and in the parks. Then again, I rode the tour two days after an emergency root canal, so I’m pleased to have finished!
Likes For rudypyatt:
Old 05-09-23, 07:05 AM
BTinNYC 

Looked up this ride and only 1500 ft, but there's some hills north of St James.

https://strava.app.link/MgFmVll2Ezb
Old 05-09-23, 09:45 AM
psyphr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only 5boro that was somewhat managable was the 2018(?) cold and rainy year where
many people did not show up for the event! And even still, very tight packed and sketchy