Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day is the best kinda day!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-18-23, 04:53 PM
Ynotnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts

Just took delivery of my first road bike after two decades of mountain biking.
I'm super excited to learn a new discipline and hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

I will say, the good folks at Lynskey turned out a quality bike. Fit and finish is immaculate, and the welds are absolutely beautiful.
I either lucked out and got the best welder they have on staff, or they have a bunch of welders with phenomenal skills on the payroll.

Anyways, here it is, complete with the freshly installed ghetto chainstay protector.
Is there a better (and more aesthetically pleasing) solution in the road bike world?

Old 01-18-23, 05:08 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
I'm super excited to learn a new discipline and hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

I will say, the good folks at Lynskey turned out a quality bike. Fit and finish is immaculate, and the welds are absolutely beautiful.
I either lucked out and got the best welder they have on staff, or they have a bunch of welders with phenomenal skills on the payroll.

Anyways, here it is, complete with the freshly installed ghetto chainstay protector.
Is there a better (and more aesthetically pleasing) solution in the road bike world?

Congrats. Always wanted a Ti bike.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-18-23, 05:41 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Yes, none at all, or at least something clear.
Cyclistick Chainstay Protector Set of 3 - Clear Film Road Cycling Bike | eBay
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-18-23, 06:11 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts

I bought a kit from these guys

https://www.ridewrap.com/us/en/bike-...ke-protection/

works great
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-18-23, 06:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Ti chainstay don’t need no stinkin’ protector. Keep it naked and proud!
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-18-23, 06:41 PM
Ynotnow

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I bought a kit from these guys

https://www.ridewrap.com/us/en/bike-...ke-protection/

works great
Appreciate the replies folks!

I use Ridewrap on all my mountain bikes, but the idea of wrapping these spiraled tubes gives me a headache just thinking about how difficult it would be LOL.
Likes For Ynotnow:
Old 01-18-23, 06:50 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Congrats! And yes, the Lynskeys know how to build bikes!
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 01-18-23, 07:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Very nice Lynskey! What learning curve? You probably have superior bike handling skills from mountain biking already.

If your derailleurs are setup correctly the chain should not drop all that often, but yes, there is: ISC Racers Tape HT2308 ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 2" x 30 ft, Transparent: Automotive Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-18-23, 07:30 PM
Ynotnow

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Very nice Lynskey! What learning curve? You probably have superior bike handling skills from mountain biking already.

If your derailleurs are setup correctly the chain should not drop all that often, but yes, there is: ISC Racers Tape HT2308 ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 2" x 30 ft, Transparent: Automotive Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
That looks like it'd fit the bill nicely!

Do you happen to know if that product allows a "wet" installation or is it "stick it on and hope you got it right the first time"?
Old 01-18-23, 07:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
That looks like it'd fit the bill nicely!

Do you happen to know if that product allows a "wet" installation or is it "stick it on and hope you got it right the first time"?
It is the latter.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-19-23, 03:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
I would use a strip of automotive PPF (wet fit type). It will be invisible and prevent any scuffing.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-19-23, 08:03 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Nice bike choice. Welcome to the Lynskey community. I ride a Lynskey Helix as well, I also owned a R300 in the past. Which group did you get?

Likes For texbiker:
Old 01-19-23, 08:22 AM
Ynotnow

Originally Posted by texbiker
Nice bike choice. Welcome to the Lynskey community. I ride a Lynskey Helix as well, I also owned a R300 in the past. Which group did you get?

Gorgeous bike!
If I had to do it over I would have gotten the etched logos like you, since the decals on the downtube kind of obscure the spiral.

I got the Sram Force AXS. It is buttery smooth too, so I'm glad I went that route.
For added insurance I added the Sram chain spotter to hopefully avoid any chain drops to the inside.

Spoke with the folks at my local Trek dealer yesterday to get an estimate on an Aeolus RSL 37 wheelset which will shave off a pound.
Just trying to decide if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze, but heavily leaning towards it, even if it's purely for the aesthetic appeal.
Likes For Ynotnow:
Old 01-19-23, 08:29 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I got the SRAM Rival AXS eTap. The electronic shifting is so nice. My R300 had decals. You might like the ICAN Cycling Alpha 50 wheels that are on my bike. The price is very attractive. I have about 8000 miles on two sets; my other road bike is a Cervelo Caledonia.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 01-19-23, 08:37 AM
Ynotnow

Originally Posted by texbiker
I got the SRAM Rival AXS eTap. The electronic shifting is so nice. My R300 had decals. You might like the ICAN Cycling Alpha 50 wheels that are on my bike. The price is very attractive. I have about 8000 miles on two sets; my other road bike is a Cervelo Caledonia.
I truly appreciate the input!!
I'll check ICAN out once I get in for the evening and see what the price comparison is.

I will say that the Trek warranty is incredible if they actually stand behind it.
Old 01-19-23, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Appreciate the replies folks!

I use Ridewrap on all my mountain bikes, but the idea of wrapping these spiraled tubes gives me a headache just thinking about how difficult it would be LOL.
- Always like the look of Helix frames. The twist is just cool. No idea if its better or worse than regular tubes, but its certainly a standout feature!
- Its a road bike, you dont need to worry about chain slap. You use it on paved roads and pedal constantly- there should be very few times where the chain is slack enough to slap, especially since the road will be smooth.
- Its a titanium frame that isnt painted, you dont need to worry about chain slap.
- If you want something that isnt clear, then consider Nubaum cotton tape. It comes in a ton of colors. Personally though, I would go for no protection or clear protection.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-19-23, 08:53 AM
Ynotnow

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Always like the look of Helix frames. The twist is just cool. No idea if its better or worse than regular tubes, but its certainly a standout feature!
- Its a road bike, you dont need to worry about chain slap. You use it on paved roads and pedal constantly- there should be very few times where the chain is slack enough to slap, especially since the road will be smooth.
- Its a titanium frame that isnt painted, you dont need to worry about chain slap.
- If you want something that isnt clear, then consider Nubaum cotton tape. It comes in a ton of colors. Personally though, I would go for no protection or clear protection.
Much appreciated!

I'd never actually ridden a road bike before a few weeks ago, and that was just test riding in a parking lot.

I'm so used to it being a necessity on a mountain bike that I didn't stop to think it might not be the case on the road.

The rear derailleur has a fairly stiff clutch too, so I imagine that lessens the chain bounce even more on pavement.
Old 01-19-23, 08:56 AM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Congrats! That's a pretty badass ride ya got there.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 01-19-23, 09:05 AM
Ynotnow

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Congrats! That's a pretty badass ride ya got there.
Thanks!!
I'm pretty excited about the maiden voyage once the weather breaks.

I've only been able to go up and down my dead end street a few times, but was impressed by how quick and nimble it is.
Up until now I have been using my Santa Cruz Blur to ride paved surfaces, and I thought it was fast.
Compared to this thing it's a brick 😂.
Old 01-19-23, 09:07 AM
Zaskar

Thanks!!
I'm pretty excited about the maiden voyage once the weather breaks.

I've only been able to go up and down my dead end street a few times, but was impressed by how quick and nimble it is.
Up until now I have been using my Santa Cruz Blur to ride paved surfaces, and I thought it was fast.
Compared to this thing it's a brick 😂.
I'm in the SAME boat! Monday was New Bike Day for me. I've yet to ride the bike. It's KILLING ME!
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 01-19-23, 09:17 AM
Zaskar

as mstateglfr said, chan slap really isn't a thing on the road (my gravel and mtn bikes are a different story). The only reason to protect that area on a road bike is lube/dirt/grime from the chain. And, that's really only an issue for matte paint. And really, it just requires some degreaser. So yeah, no protection for that Ti frame is my vote.

Cue the "... and that only happens if your chain has too much lube, etc." in 3... 2...
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 01-19-23, 09:25 AM
Ynotnow

I'm in the SAME boat! Monday was New Bike Day for me. I've yet to ride the bike. It's KILLING ME!
Congrats on your new ride!!

Feel free to post up a photo in this thread since I do enjoy seeing other people's bikes and how they have them set up.
Old 01-19-23, 09:26 AM
Ynotnow

as mstateglfr said, chan slap really isn't a thing on the road (my gravel and mtn bikes are a different story). The only reason to protect that area on a road bike is lube/dirt/grime from the chain. And, that's really only an issue for matte paint. And really, it just requires some degreaser. So yeah, no protection for that Ti frame is my vote.

Cue the "... and that only happens if your chain has too much lube, etc." in 3... 2...
I wax my chains on all my bikes so no worry of lube residue.
I'm thinking it's getting unwrapped when I get home tonight LOL.
Likes For Ynotnow:
Old 01-19-23, 09:30 AM
Zaskar

Congrats on your new ride!!

Feel free to post up a photo in this thread since I do enjoy seeing other people's bikes and how they have them set up.
Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 01-19-23, 09:35 AM
Ynotnow

Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
That thing is a freakin jewel!!

I don't see any disappointments in your immediate future 😁.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.